DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2 Pro failure

This event wasn't caused by the battery; while cell 2 was a little low in places it was operating within specifications.

View attachment 84136

It looks more like an IMU problem, but I'd need to see the mobile device DAT file (FLY098.DAT) to figure out exactly what failed.

How to retrieve a mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet
For some reason the flight MCDatFlightRecords are only appearing as far as 22/6/18 (see image).

This screenshot is from my iPad, so I also checked my iPhone (I use it more often) and it also shows .dat files only up until Oct 2018 but .txt files up until Oct 2019. The aircraft seems to have stopped logging .dat files a year ago.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 7.55.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 7.55.12 AM.png
    411.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Can clarify the conditions that trigger this processor error? Are all M2's at risk? Any known ways to avoid the processor error?
Unfortunately DJI hold all the cards as to information on the circumstances as to what causes a failure. All I can say is my friends Mavic 2 was being flown between 100ft and 33ft over a lake in Florida filming an air boat. The M2P was launched from the airboat and prior to launch the home point was recorded and the height indicated was 0ft. At 12m 7secs into the flight the M2P when flying at 33ft tumbled into the lake. Just prior to that it reported an upward obstacle and seemingly took avoiding action. Eye witness reports say there was nothing above the aircraft at that time. During the flight there were two IMU messages saying it was switching IMU’s. Just prior to the crash the pilot applied left rudder and right roll (Mode 2, left stick left, right stick right). DJI Customer Support attributed the crash and subsequent loss to the inputs applied by the pilot, even though these inputs were applied earlier in the flight with no issues.
The firmware was current as of the 4th May 2019.
The fact that there have been other instances of loss of control of M2’s flying at similar heights i.e. 33ft over water strongly suggests there is an issue but such is the complexity of the products getting to the exact cause is virtually impossible for anyone other than DJI, which is something they know only too well. Whether it is a hardware issue, an issue with a particular version of firmware, an environment issue e.g. water, sun etc. we will never know and DJI are never going to admit to it. The lessons learned are:

1. Never buy direct from DJI. Consumer law certainly in the UK says the vendor is responsible so your contract is with them. DJI are too big and you will get nowhere with them in the event of an issue.
2. Make sure you have insurance. DJI Care Refresh is not insurance and is worthless in the event of loss.

All I can say is my friends Mavic 2 was being flown between 100ft and 33ft over a lake in Florida filming an air boat. The M2P was launched from the airboat and prior to launch the home point was recorded and the height indicated was 0ft. At 12m 7secs into the flight the M2P when flying at 33ft tumbled into the lake.
You've posted this a few times and I've read your story a few times but can't work out what really happened from your description.
Sar104 explained in post #19 why "eyewitness" accounts aren't reliable in investigating flight incidents.
They don't show the thousands of data points from all the sensors.
The recorded flight data is necessary to get an idea of what really happened.
Ratjer than continuing to tell the same story to show how bad DJI is, if you are interested in facts and what really happened, start a new thread and post the data as well as DJI's summary.
It could be that DJI is wrong, or they might be right.
But as you are telling the tale now, it doesn't make any sense and no-one can tell what really happened.

Unfortunately DJI hold all the cards as to information on the circumstances as to what causes a failure. All I can say is my friends Mavic 2 was being flown between 100ft and 33ft over a lake in Florida filming an air boat. The M2P was launched from the airboat and prior to launch the home point was recorded and the height indicated was 0ft. At 12m 7secs into the flight the M2P when flying at 33ft tumbled into the lake. Just prior to that it reported an upward obstacle and seemingly took avoiding action. Eye witness reports say there was nothing above the aircraft at that time. During the flight there were two IMU messages saying it was switching IMU’s. Just prior to the crash the pilot applied left rudder and right roll (Mode 2, left stick left, right stick right). DJI Customer Support attributed the crash and subsequent loss to the inputs applied by the pilot, even though these inputs were applied earlier in the flight with no issues.
The firmware was current as of the 4th May 2019.
The fact that there have been other instances of loss of control of M2’s flying at similar heights i.e. 33ft over water strongly suggests there is an issue but such is the complexity of the products getting to the exact cause is virtually impossible for anyone other than DJI, which is something they know only too well. Whether it is a hardware issue, an issue with a particular version of firmware, an environment issue e.g. water, sun etc. we will never know and DJI are never going to admit to it. The lessons learned are:

1. Never buy direct from DJI. Consumer law certainly in the UK says the vendor is responsible so your contract is with them. DJI are too big and you will get nowhere with them in the event of an issue.
2. Make sure you have insurance. DJI Care Refresh is not insurance and is worthless in the event of loss.
I asked my questions of @sar104, so, while I appreciate your anecdote, I was looking for his specific insights into the M2 processor issue he referenced that has been acknowledged by DJI.

"As for the Mavic 2 issues - those now appear to be due to a processor issue that has been acknowledged by DJI."

@sar104: Can you clarify the conditions that trigger this processor error? Are all M2's at risk? Any known ways to avoid the processor error?

You've posted this a few times and I've read your story a few times but can't work out what really happened from your description.
Sar104 explained in post #19 why "eyewitness" accounts aren't reliable in investigating flight incidents.
They don't show the thousands of data points from all the sensors.
The recorded flight data is necessary to get an idea of what really happened.
Ratjer than continuing to tell the same story to show how bad DJI is, if you are interested in facts and what really happened, start a new thread and post the data as well as DJI's summary.
It could be that DJI is wrong, or they might be right.
But as you are telling the tale now, it doesn't make any sense and no-one can tell what really happened.
At the end of the day it does not make any difference. My friend lost his Mavic 2 Pro Through no fault of his own and DJI get to keep their secret. All you can do is put it down to experience and learn for the future.

I asked my questions of @sar104, so, while I appreciate your anecdote, I was looking for his specific insights into the M2 processor issue he referenced that has been acknowledged by DJI.

"As for the Mavic 2 issues - those now appear to be due to a processor issue that has been acknowledged by DJI."

@sar104: Can you clarify the conditions that trigger this processor error? Are all M2's at risk? Any known ways to avoid the processor error?

At this stage I don't know. @BudWalker and I have been discussing this at some length, and we are exploring some more detailed aspects of the behavior of IMU1 in different situations to try to figure out exactly what might be triggering the problem.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
For some reason the flight MCDatFlightRecords are only appearing as far as 22/6/18 (see image).

This screenshot is from my iPad, so I also checked my iPhone (I use it more often) and it also shows .dat files only up until Oct 2018 but .txt files up until Oct 2019. The aircraft seems to have stopped logging .dat files a year ago.

I've seen that before, mostly under Android. I fixed it by deleting and reinstalling the app, but that doesn't help here.

Reactions: Mrtracy
In my friends case the flight data is quite clear. There were IMU errors reported as well as Upward Obstacle detectio. The were no obstacles above the aircraft. DJI claimed the crash was caused by the pilot putting in left rudder and right role, which is exactly what you do to fly anti-clockwise around a subject and therefore was pilot error. DJI then claimed the height displayed to the pilot is “relative“ implying that it cannot be relied upon. There have been a number of instances of DJI Mavic 2’s crashing or going out of control when flying around 30-35ft over water, which clearly point to a flaw in the flight control system that DJI do not want to admit to. I stand by what I said about DJI Care Refresh and Customer Support. They are pretty useless. Let us hope the Skydio 2 will give DJI some competition.
Hi John, unfortunately your reply seems to have initiated a whole new reply series and I no longer know who is talking to me or you. Can we seperate your problem from mine please?

Final Flight Video clip here:
Great News. I went through all the hassles of submission of a claim myself without going back through the shop (because their claim was rejected) and DJI accepted it as NO PILOT ERROR. Warranty repair!!!! Yay!

Great News. I went through all the hassles of submission of a claim myself without going back through the shop (because their claim was rejected) and DJI accepted it as NO PILOT ERROR. Warranty repair!!!! Yay!

Attachments

• 3A5B969F-25C1-4717-8301-A01D68434636.jpeg
    3A5B969F-25C1-4717-8301-A01D68434636.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 19

OK - it looks like it was another of those IMU1 failures. Still trying to get to the bottom of that issue.

how often does it happen lately? is there any evidence if it is related to certain manufacturing date, or is it completely random?

There seem to have been five or six obvious cases, but I haven't looked at manufacture dates. Probably a good idea - I'll dig those up.

Reactions: Mrtracy and JAW
There seem to have been five or six obvious cases, but I haven't looked at manufacture dates. Probably a good idea - I'll dig those up.
Are the cases you know of all using same firmware? I ask as many in here advocate never updating firmware to avoid getting hit by more restrictive no-fly zones. However, (my speculation) is that if DJI did find a bug in the M2P software I doubt that they would announce that there was a bug at all, they would just fix it silently in next firmware release.

Are the cases you know of all using same firmware? I ask as many in here advocate never updating firmware to avoid getting hit by more restrictive no-fly zones. However, (my speculation) is that if DJI did find a bug in the M2P software I doubt that they would announce that there was a bug at all, they would just fix it silently in next firmware release.

Yes. This is worthy of investigation.

Chris

Reactions: Mrtracy

I'll check that too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming