DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2 Zoom vs M1 edge to edge sharpness?

boldblue737

Reactions
I’ve had a Mavic Pro since it launched and it’s been fantastic. I’m considering the Mavic 2 line and to be honest both for how I use my drone (only very basic color editing and no real use of “Log” modes etc. and only day flying) and the zoom feature itself I think the “Zoom” is the better choice for me.

THAT SAID... the one issue I have had with my Mavic Pro is the common uneven softness of the edges of my image. While the center is very sharp the right side of my image is clearly soft and the left somewhere in between. Many others have had the same issue and have had limited success exchanging drones or getting repairs with DJI and to be honest I have always been very happy with the image so I’ve kept it. From what I understand the new Zoom uses the same sensor from the Mavic 1 but a new lens and I’m wondering if they corrected the edge to edge sharpness issues and if you find that there is a significant basic image quality improvement from the Mavic 1 aside from the optical zoom? Obviously the new Mavic 2 Pro has improvements but what about the Zoom OTHER than the actual “zoom”?

I’m reluctant to upgrade if there aren’t some image quality improvements to go with the “tricks” of obstacle avoidance and the dolly zoom.