DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2E Dual Thermal Camera test with different settings

It’s from sUAS.com. I’ve been helping them by testing. It controller is size of a box or matches changes pallets, start/stop recording, digital zoom and adjust tilt. It mounts along right side (on a 3D printed clip-on) close to same height as main camera so it can fit all Mavic models. Has selectable c2 freq and fixed 5.8 GHz video link. Rechargeable 9v battery lasts about 20 min at high power setting 8 but that is selectable down to 1. Only ever used 8 but 2-3 should last longer than a Mav fight... but with shorter range for a solid signal. 935 MHz bit limited without fancier antennae

Any pictures? Did you make it yourself?
No. . . ACTUALLY, I did the velcro part myself with the thin wire leads. It's from sUAS.com. about $500USD +the Camera. You can check out the difference in performance on my Thermal Page HERE. Mavic has a fixed mount and is pretty stable in tripod mount but mostly jerky like in "find the Bunny" video on that page . . the frame moves around somewhat, when you maneuver, so you can lose the subject if you are too close or zoomed in. You really need a stable co-axial camera to be effective, so I like what the UK guys are up to. The stable FLIR videos you see on this page are from the same camera and controller but VELCROed to the bottom of my P4P+ Camera. the thin wires is so not to pull on sensitive gimble motors.
P4PBoson320.png

Last edited:
Please forgive me jumping all over this thread, but
It’s from sUAS.com. I’ve been helping them by testing. It controller is size of a box or matches changes pallets, start/stop recording, digital zoom and adjust tilt. It mounts along right side (on a 3D printed clip-on) close to same height as main camera so it can fit all Mavic models. Has selectable c2 freq and fixed 5.8 GHz video link. Rechargeable 9v battery lasts about 20 min at high power setting 8 but that is selectable down to 1. Only ever used 8 but 2-3 should last longer than a Mav fight... but with shorter range for a solid signal. 935 MHz bit limited without fancier antennae

Excellent!

No. It's from sUAS.com. about $500USD +the Camera. You can check out the difference in performance on my Thermal Page HERE. Mavic has a fixed mount and is pretty stable in tripod mount but mostly jerky like in "find the Bunny" video on that page . . the frame moves around somewhat, when you maneuver, so you can lose the subject if you are too close or zoomed in. You really need a stable co-axial camera to be effective, so I like what the UK guys are up to. The stable FLIR videos you see on this page are from the same camera and controller but VELCROed to the bottom of my P4P+ Camera. the thin wires is so not to pull on sensitive gimble motors.
View attachment 65748

This is an excellent option for people who own Phantoms and want to retrofit a FLIR.

Kind of delicate cause you have to add a counter balance weight .. or the p4p gumble does not like it... but it does work

Last edited:
Yes it is attached only by velcro and a safety lead (fishing line). Some lead solder is velcro'd to the top of the lens . . that way when you tilt forward the camera goes back and the weight goes forward to stay in balance
The Mavic mount is fixed on the right side under the arms so you need landing gear extensions . . . or hand launch and recover . . I prefer the latter . . I'll post some better photos of that in a week or so when I get it back from "the adjustment"

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Here is the new configuration for the Mav2 with BOSON320 with a tilt servo and remote control I have it on my M2E with similar mount that Clips-on over the battery
1552585760313.png

Reactions: Former Member
Here is the new configuration for the Mav2 with BOSON320 with a tilt servo and remote control I have it on my M2E with similar mount that Clips-on over the battery
View attachment 65983

That is beautiful!

Do you have the Boson and DJI lenses calibrated to a certain distance, similar to calibrating machine guns on fighters to merge on to a target at x distance out?

Also can you say what display you are using with the Boson?

Never actually calibrated the two cameras together but I use the BLACK PEARL 8" dual freq monitor on a tripod. The BOSON is the 1.9 lens for mid-distance . . not too telephoto. I thought that was a reasonable compromise . . There's an example of how close they track here on the top right video on my thermal page

Reactions: RCdancer
Never actually calibrated the two cameras together but I use the BLACK PEARL 8" dual freq monitor on a tripod. The BOSON is the 1.9 lens for mid-distance . . not too telephoto. I thought that was a reasonable compromise . . There's an example of how close they track here on the top right video on my thermal page

Nice video.

Reactions: Cookedinlh
Where did you add the counterbalance? I dont see it in that picture.

Also, is your cam mounted to the bottom of the P4 gimbal?

Look closely above the P4P camera lens. Lead solder on a Velcro strip

There’s no counter weight on the Mav tilt cause it’s only one axis on a single servo

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98