DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

m2p gimbal protector

OurAngryBadger

Reactions
I accidentally turned on the m2p with the gimble protector still attached. Do you think there's any permanent damage now? It seems to be working ok but I'm worried.

Also does anyone not use the protector at all? I know its mostly to prevent dust and debris from getting into the gimble when it's not being used, but I keep the m2p in a bag so I wonder if it's really necessary.

It's just kind of a pain in the bleep to attach it every time. Getting the slot in it to line up with the camera. I feel like I will do more damage to the gimbal trying to get it on every time I pack up the m2p vs. Just not using the protector at all

TLDR; Accidentally leaving it on during a power-up is probably nowhere near as bad as carrying the thing around without the gimbal protector on.

First hand experience without the protector: I opened my backpack a few weeks back after a few months of no drone flying (because of winter weather), to find that the protector had fallen off.

"OH NO" I cried, wondering how long it had been like that, and how much movement that backpack has seen in the months since my last flight.

"Stop worrying -- it's probably okay", I consoled myself. I then charged up all the batteries and went out for a flight.

To my horror, the gimbal was all wobbly and didn't respond to controls. I landed and did a gimbal calibration, but it didn't help at all! I was so peeved at myself.

However, I did a full power off, then a power on, then another gimbal calibration, then another power cycle. Finally, during power on, I could see the gimbal do the full start-up test. The controls all responded. I got up in the air and tested everything — it was all a-okay.

But I wouldn't want to repeat that experience. And it could have been worse: my multiple power-cycle / gimbal-calibration routine might not have fixed it (so I would have been out of the drone for several weeks and a few hundred dollars to for the repair to boot).

Why would you want to chance that? You wouldn't — always put your gimbal protector on.

Chris

I know its mostly to prevent dust and debris from getting into the gimble when it's not being used
It's actually mostly to prevent it from being damaged.

I wouldn't necessarily do this, but it would probably be fine if the bag isn't being moved and there's no chance that someone else will accidentally move/bump/drop the bag. I'd put the gimbal lock back on before travelling anywhere with the bag though.

It's just kind of a pain in the bleep to attach it every time. Getting the slot in it to line up with the camera. I feel like I will do more damage to the gimbal trying to get it on
I'm using the SunnyLife gimbal lock on my M2P. It's a lot easier to attach. The only downside is that it's possible to break the little tabs off (from the front of the gimbal lock) if you're not careful when attaching/removing it. For the low cost, I'll take that risk and replace it if that happens.

1583669065275.png

Reactions: iFly4U
I accidentally turned on the m2p with the gimble protector still attached. Do you think there's any permanent damage now? It seems to be working ok but I'm worried.

Also does anyone not use the protector at all? I know its mostly to prevent dust and debris from getting into the gimble when it's not being used, but I keep the m2p in a bag so I wonder if it's really necessary.

It's just kind of a pain in the bleep to attach it every time. Getting the slot in it to line up with the camera. I feel like I will do more damage to the gimbal trying to get it on every time I pack up the m2p vs. Just not using the protector at all

Don´t worry, there will be no damage at all. But do this not every time.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
I still don't understand, why so many people say its hard to attach the gimbal cover.
It never takes me longer than 1-2 seconds. Maybe I should make a short video to show it.

Reactions: Moon4Drone
I still don't understand, why so many people say its hard to attach the gimbal cover
Try one of the 3rd party gimbal locks and you'll understand.

Reactions: Thomas B
Like i said, takes me a second to do and done.
I guess we'll leave the 3rd party locks to those people who want something easier then. I can understand you can't appreciate them since you've never tried them.

I guess we'll leave the 3rd party locks to those people who want something easier then. I can understand you can't appreciate them since you've never tried them.
Of course, it's OK to buy 3rd party stuff.
But i can say it three times, I don't need anything else, because there is no reason. Because there is no problem.
That's all I said, that I don't understand how someone can have a problem with the gimbal cover.
I make a short video the next days to show you how to put it on, maybe you do something wrong, who knows.

But i can say it three times, I don't need anything else, because there is no reason. Because there is no problem.
That's all I said, that I don't understand how someone can have a problem with the gimbal cover.
I make a short video the next days to show you how to put it on, maybe you do something wrong, who knows.
Please do make the video.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do , but I dont understand the point of the little folding plastic part in the cover that fits over the camera. It very hard for me to get that thing on the camera when both it AND the camera sre flopping around

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Understand.. respect your position.
so folks can compare to your video... here’s one on the PolarPro gimbal lock with two views.
3F7DFE50-EB2E-4566-9ED2-E9317FE5E8A5.jpeg

Reactions: Skyflyer129
I don't understand how someone can have a problem with the gimbal cover
Well, that's the reason 3rd party gimbal locks exist and why people are buying them. DJI doesn't make great gimbal locks. Never have... and maybe never will.

When I first looked at the Polar Pro, I was concerned with the many posts/threads about it being too tight. When I watched Thomas’s video, that made the decision for me. Haven’t looked back. It’s a good one.

When I first looked at the Polar Pro, I was concerned with the many posts/threads about it being too tight. When I watched Thomas’s video, that made the decision for me. Haven’t looked back. It’s a good one.
For the record, I didn’t make the video of the PP gimbal lock. Another member made it and posted in response to my questions and concerns. All I can say is it’s been trouble free use for over a year and about 200 flying days. No scratches on the drone either.

Cool....I saw it cause you posted it several times.....in any case, it alleviated concerns.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun