DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[M2P] Hyperlapse and Stills

Joola

Reactions
I shared most of this in another thread but since it was hyperlapse specific I figured I should create my own thread to talk about it some more.

I've only been able to fly one battery in my M2P thus far and I focused on the new hyperlapse feature. I was surprised to see that you can't use hyperlapse unless you enable the vision sensors. I typically fly with these disabled. You have the option to save the individual still the DJI stitched to make the hyperlapse and if you do so, it will save them as DNG files. Hooray!

Once you enable the hyperlapse mode, you can select how long you want the hyperlapse to be and how much time you want to wait between photos. I used 2 seconds between photos and set it to generate a 3 second clip. Once activated, you control the camera pitch, yaw, and horizontal/vertical velocity. Once you have a heading you like, you can hit C1/C2 and it will lock in those settings and continue flying in that manner. Tapping C1/C2 again will disable this course lock feature.

I compared the DJI hyperlapse video file (which is surprisingly small) to the image sequence loaded into Premiere CC 2018. The DJI hyperlapse file is 1080p/25fps and the image appears to be cropped about 15% when compared to the DNGs. I don't know if this will vary based on how stable your footage is or not. They also add some image stabilization which worked well for my shot. I edited their hyperlapse into a boomerang which you can see it here:

The world's biggest drone photo and video sharing platform | SkyPixel.com

Next I took one of the DNG files that was saved separately and edited this quickly to my liking in Photoshop. Overall I'm very pleased with the camera and the quality of the images it captured. I can't wait to see what else this thing can do!

f2.8, 1/30sec, ISO-160
full

Last edited:
I shared most of this in another thread but since it was hyperlapse specific I figured I should create my own thread to talk about it some more.

I've only been able to fly one battery in my M2P thus far and I focused on the new hyperlapse feature. I was surprised to see that you can't use hyperlapse unless you enable the vision sensors. I typically fly with these disabled. You have the option to save the individual still the DJI stitched to make the hyperlapse and if you do so, it will save them as DNG files. Hooray!

Once you enable the hyperlapse mode, you can select how long you want the hyperlapse to be and how much time you want to wait between photos. I used 2 seconds between photos and set it to generate a 3 second clip. Once activated, you control the camera pitch, yaw, and horizontal/vertical velocity. Once you have a heading you like, you can hit C1/C2 and it will lock in those settings and continue flying in that manner. Tapping C1/C2 again will disable this course lock feature.

I compared the DJI hyperlapse video file (which is surprisingly small) to the image sequence loaded into Premiere CC 2018. The DJI hyperlapse file is 1080p/25fps and the image appears to be cropped about 15% when compared to the DNGs. I don't know if this will vary based on how stable your footage is or not. They also add some image stabilization which worked well for my shot. I edited their hyperlapse into a boomerang which you can see it here:

The world's biggest drone photo and video sharing platform | SkyPixel.com

Next I took one of the DNG files that was saved separately and edited this quickly to my liking in Photoshop. Overall I'm very pleased with the camera and the quality of the images it captured. I can't wait to see what else this thing can do!

f2.8, 1/30sec, ISO-160
DTLA_2.jpg
Nice shot!

Reactions: Joola
What is the file size of one frame from the Hyperlapse clip, versus a similar DNG photo using a single photo shot at 20mp? Similar in size?

What is the file size of one frame from the Hyperlapse clip, versus a similar DNG photo using a single photo shot at 20mp? Similar in size?

The DNG's captured during the hyperlapse sequence are identical to still photos captured in normal photo mode. 20MP 5568x3648. What's odd is the M2P camera specs say it captures 5472x3648 so I'm not sure why my file is wider by 96 pixels.The hyperlapse that DJI compiled was 1920x1080.

I double checked the settings and you actually have the option to save the still as either JPEG or DNG. I completely forgot you could opt for JPEG if you want but I always default to DNG.

That’s a stunning photo of LA. Congrats. Illegal but who cares. As long as you’re smart and safe, it takes breaking the rules to capture such a stunning image.

What was your exported video file size after editing and creating your sequence in Premiere?

The DJI auto hyperlapse is decent but can not compare it to a RAW hyperlapse

Reactions: Bobby for a Day!
How can you make Hypers better?? M2P is crazy good right from the box. Im open to better anytime though.

RAW is superior quality no doubt, however, you’ll get far less images than JPG when doing a time lapse. I would rather have a longer time lapse generally, so unfortunately I’m forced to use JPG. The battery life of the drone is the biggest determining factor, since you can only do RAW at five second intervals vs two seconds for JPG.

I get 2-second intervals with DNG just fine. Maybe that was a limitation with an earlier firmware?

Also, time-lapse are better with many small segments (8-10 seconds tops) edited together (a 2-3 minute time-lapse that never/rarely changes scenes is boring). I can easily get a hyperlapse with enough captures for a 15-30 second video using one battery. And since the final time-lapse will be several smaller segments edited together, the sequences don't all need to be captured with a single battery.

Chris

9 months later, what made you come back to it ? Also could you share some details on how one can fly legally in downtown LA ?

9 months later, what made you come back to it ? Also could you share some details on how one can fly legally in downtown LA ?
The post I replied to was made on April 30th. I responded 10 days later because I got a notification.

I don't know about operating as a hobbyist in DTLA but It's easy to fly legally under Part 107. For this particular shot, I flew under Part 107 over a vacant construction site. Landing zone was in the parking lot adjacent to the construction site. No operations were conducted over moving vehicles or people not involved in the shoot. Max altitude AGL was 700 feet but within 400ft of the adjacent structure which is 637ft tall. Class G airspace. Flight was during civil twilight within 30 minutes after sunset.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent