DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P Photos From Iceland

CanadaDrone

Reactions
Slowly going through my photos from my recent trip to Iceland (May). I thought you guys might be tired of me blabbing all the time and might actually want to see some drone photos :D . It was illegal to fly in most of the popular/postcard spots but there were still lots of other nice places:

i-wLR9Rtn-XL.jpg

i-RxHwz4G-XL.jpg

DJI_0305-sharpen-sharpen-XL.jpg

i-q4JTMrg-XL.jpg

DJI_0313-XL.jpg

i-M8GBLt8-XL.jpg

Awesome pics. What editing software and settings?

Thank you! I just used Photoshop CC to do some light editing of the RAW(DNG) files (basic exposure and contrast tweaks, etc.) Drone settings were full manual, mostly F4, ISO 100 and whatever ND I needed to get the shutter down to 1/10 or so to blur the water (where applicable). Nothing magical about my settings at all - just whatever gave me a proper exposure for the scene based on the histogram.

Reactions: panoramia
Nice photos! I’m taking my M2P to Iceland next year...can you tell me what restrictions are in place in the popular places? Thanks

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Nice photos! I’m taking my M2P to Iceland next year...can you tell me what restrictions are in place in the popular places? Thanks

Thanks!

Here is a copy/paste of my reply to someone else who had a similar question, hope it helps:

Long story short, you can't fly at any of the major tourist spots but there are still lots of amazing places to fly.

First and foremost, Iceland is not a place you want to fly without experience. The weather there can change on a dime (think tropical island weather, but near the Arctic) and things like wind profiles and precipitation can be completely different even 100ft away from where you're standing. Make sure you devote the necessary time to learning what you need to.

As for Iceland....

As soon as you guys get out of the Golden Triangle area, it's WAY less busy. I was there in May of this year and on the East/North I would often drive for 20 minutes without seeing another car. The boutique hotels we stayed in often only had 1-2 other guests. It was fantastic. Reykjavik and area were much, much, busier, but never too bad.

Just off the top of my head, some of the nicer areas you could fly were:

Barnafossar (Drive up)
Bruarfoss (short, very easy 4km hike/walk required - very worth it)
Urriðafoss (Drive up)
Sauðárkrókur and area
Anywhere you can safely pull over that is not in a National Park and not near prominent visitor areas. Lots of areas in the South/South East are gorgeous and there is nobody around.

There were lots of random places I wanted to fly, but couldn't due to wind/rain.

You will probably want to fly, but unfortunately you can NOT fly at all the really famous stops, including but not limited to:

Kerið crater
Godafoss
Seljalandsfoss
Skógafoss
Gullfoss
Svartifoss
Dettifoss
Kirkjufell
Geysir
Anywhere inside Vatnajökull National Park (very recently declared a UNESCO World Heritage site)
Anywhere inside Thingvellir National Park (this includes Silfra and Oxararfoss)
Anywhere inside Snæfellsjökull National Park

If you're looking at the suffixes, 'jokull' means glacier and 'foss' means waterfall. You will have waterfall fatigue by the end haha - there just so many, even just on the side of the road as you're driving around, so don''t worry about not getting enough pictures/video of those.

The "no drone" signs were usually obvious, but sometimes not. They were usually located at the entrances to various parking lots, so keep an eye out for them and respect them.

Also note I could not calibrate my compass anywhere in that entire country, but it was never incorrect (you can check on the map), and it was not an issue whatsoever.

Your drone has to be marked with your name & phone number to fly there legally.

If you have any other questions about Iceland itself or flying there, feel free to PM me.

EDIT: I have recently read from several different sources that Godafoss now has "no drone" signs, so I changed the above lists accordingly.

Last edited:
Great shots, very well composed and edited.
Impressive, very impressive! :DThumbswayup

The rough weather with "bad" light produces so much drama.
One time, I like to go there, but Iceland faces serious problems concerning overtourism, so I guess, further restrictions may apply in future.

Great shots, very well composed and edited.
Impressive, very impressive! :DThumbswayup

The rough weather with "bad" light produces so much drama.
One time, I like to go there, but Iceland faces serious problems concerning overtourism, so I guess, further restrictions may apply in future.

Thanks!

The problem Iceland has doesn't seem to be so much with the number of tourists - when I was there, outside of the "golden triangle" it was not busy at all. Tourism is also an important part of their economy. My understanding of the problem is people blatantly disobeying rules and signage, wrecking precious landscape that takes years and in some cases many decades to recover (for example the moss take 70 years or so to grow and people will walk on it just to get their selfie for Instagram). Same deal with the unsupervised nature baths/hot springs - tourists literally use them as toilets and treat the area like a garbage dump. "Offroading" in sensitive areas is also a huge problem there, it wasn't long ago a group of Chinese tourists took their 4X4 over a Puffin nesting ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Yeah, certainly we are not in Venetian's scales yet but as you said, already very few, inconsiderate people, can have a major negative impact on such a sensitive eco system.
My colleague told me the same about just leaving the Golden Triangle and you are more less back in time, alone and remote. However the most famous spots do have their fame for a reason. It's a shame that no matter where the tourist come from (I do have my encounters with big groups especially from China), they consume it like a meal and carry on.

That's why I do bemoan about those place to go on my own.
Taking utmost care I do still think, I contribute to the very same problem just not as intense.

Difficult.
Your pictures are nontheless encouraging. May 2021 or 2022, let's see ...

Slowly going through my photos from my recent trip to Iceland (May). I thought you guys might be tired of me blabbing all the time and might actually want to see some drone photos :D . It was illegal to fly in most of the popular/postcard spots but there were still lots of other nice places:

i-wLR9Rtn-XL.jpg

i-RxHwz4G-XL.jpg

i-q4JTMrg-XL.jpg

DJI_0313-XL.jpg

i-M8GBLt8-XL.jpg
Great shots

Outstanding pictures. Thanks for the travel info. I've been to Iceland but did not take my drone. I do plan to go back, rent a car and drive away from the Golden Triangle.

Those are amazing shots from a truly remarkable aircraft . . .

i-wLR9Rtn-XL.jpg

i-RxHwz4G-XL.jpg

i-q4JTMrg-XL.jpg

DJI_0313-XL.jpg

i-M8GBLt8-XL.jpg
Your images are wonderful, and I love your stuff.Loved the long shutter exposure of the falls I too have just returned from an Iceland photo tour in June. Did the entire circle, and yes, I did manage to film some of the same spots. I have previously submitted my Vimeo film to this forum so forgive me, but for those of you who have not seen it and are interested, here it is again.
It is about 14 minutes so allow some time for a relaxing drink while watching. Filming in Iceland is a dream. So much beauty. Plenty of areas to film, but you really do need to watch the weather. If you go on a photo tour (like Iceland Photo Tours) you will have a private photo group of 8 or less (my group was only 2 people), and professional photographer and most likely he will be familiar with the drone rules and find some legal falls for you.

This is addendum to my reply above.I simply could not start my Mavic Air anywhere in Reykjavik because it is within a NFZ due to a nearby airport. What a shams since the city is so beautify to see and especially from the air.

This is addendum to my reply above.I simply could not start my Mavic Air anywhere in Reykjavik because it is within a NFZ due to a nearby airport. What a shams since the city is so beautify to see and especially from the air.

It's actually legal to fly around Reykjavik if you fly lower than the buildings, more than 50m from buildings, and more than 1.5km from the airport. DJI's app might not let you though - I have run into a few instances now where I was in an area I should have been allowed to fly and it locked me out due to geo fencing. Oh well.

Awesome pics!
What is the best way/app to search for prohibited flying zones in such places?

Thanks!

DJI's app does it automatically for the big stuff (Like airports), and you can also use UAV Forecast but I find it's weather reports to be wildly inaccurate. Most of the "no drone" signage is easy to find, and you can expect it at every major tourist spot. Aside from that it is like most other countries, strict rules around buildings and stay away from airports and out of National Parks.

Here's the official rules: from the ITA:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078