DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2Z First Flight - Newbie double-checking proper procedure

wisco_pilot

Reactions
Hi everyone, recently picked up a M2Z. Immediately had a defect & exchanged for another one. Now on my second unit I want to double-check I am doing everything right to rule out user error. (Also yes, I have read the full manual). Seems like most people who feel drones are a "toy" just take them out of the box and do basic setups then fly. I am trying to take this seriously to shorten my learning curve. Forgive me if this is explained somewhere in a "newbie guide" but I haven't found it yet.

I have downloaded DJI Go 4, using UAV Forecast for weather, and Kittyhawk/B4UFLY to check restrictions etc. I also have Airmap downloaded but dont know benefits yet over Kittyhawk. Using iPhone 8 with latest iOS 13.3.1.

One thing that isn't explained well to beginners like me are checklists like preflight/postflight/RTH/etc. I found some other threads (this one I liked Another sUAS Checklist Template) and now I'm going very procedurally like this.

So basically this is what my process is as of now:

Initial Unboxing Setup

1. Unboxed the new device.
  2. Charged battery and controller.
  3. Registered with FAA as recreational and put my number on a sticker on the M2Z.
  4. Downloaded DJI Go 4 app
  5. Unfold drone arms, remove all the small plastic guard stickers, and very very carefully remove gimbal cover/clamp assmebly
  6. Power on sequence
    1. Launch app first and connect into controller
    2. Power on controller
    3. Power on M2Z (no blades installed yet for initial test)
  7. Download & Run all updates from Go 4 app
  8. Install proper speed SD card and format
  9. Power down

First Flight

1. Of course find the appropriate open area that isn't violating airspace
  2. Go through basic pre-check from linked list below to make sure equipment is ready
  3. Weather check using UAV Forecast
  4. Physically deploy M2Z, install blades, remove gimbal cover very, very carefully because it's a PITA
  5. Power on sequence from step #6 above
  6. Verify voltage, battery temperature
  7. Verify P mode
  8. Verify 11 satellite lock for GPS
  9. Take off sequence
  10. Hover for 30 seconds or more to verify basic performance
  11. Ascend to 30 feet and hover for system to obtain RTH point
  12. Verify movement of drone one at a time, i.e. front/back, side/side, turn left/right, up/down
  13. Verify movement of camera
  14. Verify gimbal working to stabilize video output
  15. Verify camera zoom on this model
  16. RTH or landing sequence (won't have gone far on this flight to do it manually)
  17. Power down sequence in reverse - M2Z first, controller, then app

Thoughts if I missed anything? Any other advice is welcome, thanks!

EDIT1: Added steps provided by steve_lyt
EDIT2: Added step provided by Bobvt
EDIT3: Formatting

Last edited:
Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
looks like you covered everything.

you may want to add that the controller is in the correct mode eg. P, S or T. I normally start in P mode

Reactions: wisco_pilot
looks like you covered everything.

you may want to add that the controller is in the correct mode eg. P, S or T. I normally start in P mode

Very good call, I missed spelling that out as I was typing that outline. I also start in P mode. Also missed stating to wait for the 11 satellites and home point to auto set which is important. Will add later, hard to do on my phone in the field. Thanks!

Reactions: Bobvt and Rockycat
Very good call, I missed spelling that out as I was typing that outline. I also start in P mode. Also missed stating to wait for the 11 satellites and home point to auto set which is important. Will add later, hard to do on my phone in the field. Thanks!
Also go up to 30ft wait a few seconds then fly out,this will fully establish the home point

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa