DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2Z - Stop Motor Method - Newbie worried!

apeel

Reactions
Hi Guys, still have not taken my M2Z for its maiden flight. Been reading the manuals and watching tutorials. Trying to understand all of the settings. This one has me worried. Under advanced settings, the Stop Motor Method is defaulted to "for use in emergencies only". The other option is "CSC Maneuver". Can someone explain this to me. From what I can tell, if you leave it on the default, and then you accidentally push both controls In & Down or Out & Down, it will shut the motors off IMMEDIATELY.What happens if the setting is set to "CSC Maneuver". Will motors cut off also? Sounds like something a newbie (like me) could do by mistake. Is there any way to prevent myself from accidentally putting the controls knobs into either of these positions? Or does one have to put them in that position and deliberately hold them there for an extended period of time. If so, hw long? This is making me paranoid to go out for my 1st flight! Please advise.
Allan

Don't worry about it. There is a delay of a couple seconds before anything happens. You can also use the down-and-in maneuver to start the motors and you will see that it is not immediate. I have been a member here for quite a while and have never read of someone doing this by accident.

With the default setup, down and in would make the Mavic drop, rotate right, fly backwards and bank left; a maneuver that is not normally used. It would be used to stop it from weed-whacking branches if it was accidentally stuck in a tree.

Reactions: apeel
I've read a couple of incidents in this forum where someone has done this by accident, usually while flying around in sports mode doing some sort of maneuver. Other than that, unlike for this to happen.

Reactions: Simmo and apeel
Makes sense now. Flying down, rotating right, banking left, all while flying backwards puts it in perspective.

I must say, this forum is awesome!

Reactions: ClaudioSr
Just take it out for an easy test flight. Start motor, hover at five feet and then set it back down. Then repeat at 10 ft and land. Then increase from there while reading up and watching videos

Reactions: apeel
There have been a few crash logs on here and the main DJI forum where the logs shows an accidental CSC leading to a crash. Although rare, its not an impossible combination in certain conditions.

Reactions: Simmo
As Simmo said, if set to "on emergency use only" then the CSC command can only be iniated if the drone detects it is in an emergency or unstable angle of flight or position. That is during norming flying staus/position or stability, CSC can not be initiated.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Yikes! I'm glad I read here every day. Since I've only turned my motors of manually a few times in 600+ landings I had forgotten about the possibility of it happening mid flight. I fly coordinated 3D manuvers daily and have gotten lucky so far I guess. Reverse 45 left/right yaw decrease altitude I do pretty much daily. Luck is never usually full stick both in corner at same time. Whew.....greater awareness from now on. One crash avoided. I read here even if I think title has nothing to do with me. Bam.

If you are high enough and in a flat free-fall, you may have time to restart and recover. I saw a video where some fool actually did it.

Thanks for the continued feedback. Now I understand what the "emergency only" setting means.

There have been a few crash logs on here and the main DJI forum where the logs shows an accidental CSC leading to a crash. Although rare, its not an impossible combination in certain conditions.
Indeed. Flying backwards, leading a moving boat, while beginning an orbit with an altitude change could easily create such a scenario. Emergency Only is a good choice.

Just take it out for an easy test flight. Start motor, hover at five feet and then set it back down. Then repeat at 10 ft and land. Then increase from there while reading up and watching videos
I am more advanced than you. Took it to 400ft and around the house but not much more. ;)

Glad to have seen this! So if i set my Mavic to for use in emergencies only, I won't have to worry about hitting the CSC combi mid flight? Did about almost 200 flights already and i never really bothered about this setting until now.

Glad to have seen this! So if i set my Mavic to for use in emergencies only, I won't have to worry about hitting the CSC combi mid flight? Did about almost 200 flights already and i never really bothered about this setting until now.
Correct. As posted above,
"...if set to "on emergency use only" then the CSC command can only be initiated by the pilot if the drone detects it is already in an emergency or unstable angle of flight or position. During normal flying staus/position or stability, CSC cannot be initiated."

Here’s a document that will likely answer questions and help you avoid problems. The full 70 page DJI manual for your bird:
Reread it again last night myself, and still found some stuff I found useful! The most interesting was the method of calculation of flight times by DJI in the appendix specs. Based upon a flight speed of 15mph, with no wind, the normal flight time was only 25 minutes to 15%. That's a long way from the advertised 31 minutes, which is based upon a maximum flight time at 15mph with no wind, until the battery is ruined, at the equivalent of minus 10% when cell voltages drop below 3.00V, a full 25% below 15%!

507F85A2-6C60-4EF4-9ABE-B2F6CB0C8990.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078