DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3P Switched to Atti mode on its own during night hyperlapse.

dmiles119

Reactions
Was finishing up a long hovering hyperlapse when all of a sudden my M3P switched to atti mode, and ended the hyperlase, and even changed out of the hyperlapse mode. The hyperlapse was still there, even though I did not get the message that it had finished.

Just loaded new firmware today. Anyone else seeing this? It's a first for me. Was able to land safely with no issues.

Did u loose GPS signal?, what was the Kp index?

Was finishing up a long hovering hyperlapse when all of a sudden my M3P switched to atti mode ...

Just loaded new firmware today. Anyone else seeing this? It's a first for me.
It's extremely unlikely that this had anything to do with the firmware update.
To find out more about the incident, it would be necessary to see the recorded flight data.
what was the Kp index?
The Kp index won't have had anything at all to do with this.

It's extremely unlikely that this had anything to do with the firmware update.
To find out more about the incident, it would be necessary to see the recorded flight data.

The Kp index won't have had anything at all to do with this.
High geomagnetic activity (Kp index is a measure of this) can effect gps signals and many other things. Late October and early November saw very high levels, during some flights I measured up to 9 but it did not impact any of my flights. However this can be a factor in disrupting gps and other space based Nav. signals, that’s why it is on my checklist. A easy read reference here but NASA has more detailed explanations.

High geomagnetic activity (Kp index is a measure of this) can effect gps signals and many other things. Late October and early November saw very high levels, during some flights I measured up to 9 but it did not impact any of my flights. However this can be a factor in disrupting gps and other space based Nav. signals, that’s why it is on my checklist. A easy read reference here but NASA has more detailed explanations.
The impact of a high Kp index on drones is a much-hyped myth.
In eight years of flying DJI and examining flight data, I still haven't seen any problems caused by flying in a high Kp index.
If it really was a thing, we'd have seen plenty of evidence of it by now.

Last edited:
The impact of a high Kp index on drones is a much-hyped myth.
In eight years of flying DJI and examining flight data, I still haven't seen any problems caused by flying in a high Kp index.
If it really was a thing, we'd have seen plenty of evidence of it by now.
Exactly.
Disturbances in the ionosphere (like a very strong geomagnetic storm) may affect the precision of GPS systems, but for drones the accuracy is still more than good enough. The error in precision might be 1-2 meters during very strong storms.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne