DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air ascends on its own without touching remote

Reactions: RodPad
If you don't wait long enough on the ground for more than sufficient GNSS signal (at least 18-20 sats), you can then lose that when you take off and couple of sats drop off for some reason, taking you under the minimum of (I want to say) 13 again, which would put you in Atti mode. But I don't think GPS is used to determine vertical position, so not sure that is even related !

Hard to speculate further without that flight log, but 1 easy thing to check / eliminate would be to look for dirt / fluff on any of the sensors on the bottom of the craft.
Yeah maybe re the satellites. I powered it on, connected to the remote control and then spooled up the props and headed up to maybe 5 feet above the ground..... maybe I didn't wait long enough or maybe should've used the auot launch function even. I just assumed it had connected to GPS already. That is when it started to move up and down on it's own and that's what my last one did which was replaced under warranty after it flipped and went upside into my dam.

I did give it a good clean down when I got home to take off any dust off that may've been there. Used a soft cotton tip and cleaned it all carefully. I'll suss it out on the weekend and see how I go. Thank you

Meta4 is correct, the txt flight log is needed for at least the flight described above.
However, overall that sounds like a probelm with the VPS sensors to me or at least the IR side of them.

The ATTI thing might be that, whilst the drone was on the ground the drone blocked sufficient light from getting underneath the drone for VPS to work. I don't remember if my mavic 2 ( also a Go4 drone ) will take of when there is a low-light/ATTI-mode warning or if I have to authorise the take off but it does normally switch its auxiliary light on almost as soon as it gets into the air.
I did have it sitting flat on my large black Pelican style storage case so maybe that interfered wit0h the bottom sensors as you mentioned. May have to get in the habit of launching of orange helipad I bought years ago :)

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
maybe I didn't wait long enough or maybe should've used the auto launch function even. I just assumed it had connected to GPS already.
Whether you launched before getting full GPS reception makes no difference to the issue your posted about here.
GPS has nothing at all to do with maintaining height.
Whether you launch manually or by pushing a button makes no difference either.
That is when it started to move up and down on it's own
You posted this two days ago and asked for help.
But all anyone knows so far is: "it just started lifting on its own" and now "it started to move up and down on it's own".
We don't know if it moved 6 inches or 60 feet, fast or slow or anything else that might help to identify the problem, or(if there was one.

If you post the flight data, someone might be able to help, but without that this thread is just a waste of space.

Reactions: RodPad and msinger
I did have it sitting flat on my large black Pelican style storage case so maybe that interfered wit0h the bottom sensors as you mentioned. May have to get in the habit of launching of orange helipad I bought years ago :)
Whether you launched from a rock, a picnic rug or a pizza box is irrelevant.
And no, your pelican case didn't "interfere with the bottom sensors".

Reactions: RodPad and msinger
not common...but it does occur
I've been on DJI drone forums ever since they were first a thing and haven't see a single confirmed case yet.

Can you point us to any cases where that was the confirmed cause?

Maybe I should have been more specific.....in that GPS disruption does occur as a result of geomagnetic storms......but that seems to be a well known fact.....do dji drones have special GPS systems that are not effected?...I guess it is possible.

do dji drones have special GPS systems that are not effected?
I'm not sure that's the case. But, it's probably safe to say the geomagnetic storms where most people fly aren't strong enough to noticeably affect DJI drones.

This whole geomagnetic storm phenomenon was likely started by apps like UAV Forecast that are laser focused on that kind of data.

Maybe I should have been more specific.....in that GPS disruption does occur as a result of geomagnetic storms......but that seems to be a well known fact.....do dji drones have special GPS systems that are not effected?...I guess it is possible.
It's more a myth than a "well known fact".
The level of GPS disruption, if it happens at all is trivial.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr0nk3rt