DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M4P 10 Bit

InAz

Reactions
I've had mynM4P going on 2 weeks now (as of today) & was wondering if anyone hase used the 10-bit D-Log M color mode and if it's easy to use and you're thoughts. Haven't used it, yet, because I'm not familiar with it.

All I've seen is how "wonderful" it is but vids i saw never showed how to use it. It seems like a process to get textures & colors (billions) on the video. Is it this tedious?

Can't answer how difficult it is to work with. That is totally up to your perception. I personally enjoy the color grading process and the process of getting better at color grading as time goes by. Dlog M is one of the easiest log codecs to color grade. Out of camera it is pretty close to a graded image. It will give you more dynamic range to work with than a baked in profile. Color grading is an art and took me some study to get started. If you use or decide to use Davinci Resolve, they offer some excellent tutorials on their website.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
In short, you have to do "color grading" to make it look right. This is a fancy term for adjusting brightness, contrast, saturation, and color tone. Start messing with those 4 in a photo editing app, an adjust until you like the result.

Next step in getting more sophisticated is to adjust highlights and shadows, if your photo app has that feature (if it doesn't, switch to one that does). This is about as much as most of us do, and get great results.

There's more you can tweak grading, but this is a good start and will get you far.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
In short, you have to do "color grading" to make it look right. This is a fancy term for adjusting brightness, contrast, saturation, and color tone. Start messing with those 4 in a photo editing app, an adjust until you like th

Next step in getting more sophisticated is to adjust highlights and shadows, if your photo app has that feature (if it doesn't, switch to one that does). This is about as much as most of us do, and get great results.

There's more you can tweak grading, but this is a good start and will get you far.
I understand I need color grading. What's a good photo app for this?

Lightroom.

I use Picsart on android.
You seem to be confusing color grading D-LOGM *video* and working with RAW *photo* files. You can do some basic video editing in Lightroom but it's not really meant for tasks like color grading.

You seem to be confusing color grading D-LOGM *video* and working with RAW *photo* files. You can do some basic video editing in Lightroom but it's not really meant for tasks like color grading.

You are correct I confusingly posted apps for modifying stills. Brain fart 😁

'Been an Adobe Premiere user for ages. On mobile (android) I use Power Director.

In my defense, post on RAW stills is similar to grading DLOG video...

I have spent countless hours trying to color grade d-log m (and raw hyperlapses) and have not gotten anything to look good at all. It just makes everything super dark and if I try to correct it looks worse. I've read just about every post here on the subject and watched tons of videos. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but I'm giving up on d-log m and going to use hlg...

I have spent countless hours trying to color grade d-log m (and raw hyperlapses) and have not gotten anything to look good at all. It just makes everything super dark and if I try to correct it looks worse. I've read just about every post here on the subject and watched tons of videos. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but I'm giving up on d-log m and going to use hlg...
If you're using a DLOG LUT for DLOGM footage, then you will get terrible results because DLOGM and DLOG are quite a bit different. If you're using a non-DJI LUT, there's a decent chance it was developed for footage more like DLOG than DLOGM. And if you aren't using a LUT, learning how is a great place to start!

I'm really tempted to fire up OBS and do a quick tutorial on this. It really is not that difficult. I might just do that next week. HLG will do a pretty good job for you but you will just not get the control that dlog-m would give you. I use dlog M with my pocket 3 and quite frankly it produces a gorgeous image. No conversion, no lut, just some adjustments in luma placement, contrast, and saturation using the correct timeline settings.

I'm really tempted to fire up OBS and do a quick tutorial on this. It really is not that difficult. I might just do that next week. HLG will do a pretty good job for you but you will just not get the control that dlog-m would give you. I use dlog M with my pocket 3 and quite frankly it produces a gorgeous image. No conversion, no lut, just some adjustments in luma placement, contrast, and saturation using the correct timeline settings.
I did a video with my Pocket3 and there were definitely some scenes where I couldn't immediately tell if I'd applied the LUT or not. That said, just adding a 709 conversion did make it look even better and it adds basically nothing to my workflow.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
If you're using a DLOG LUT for DLOGM footage, then you will get terrible results because DLOGM and DLOG are quite a bit different. If you're using a non-DJI LUT, there's a decent chance it was developed for footage more like DLOG than DLOGM. And if you aren't using a LUT, learning how is a great place to start!
I'm not using the d-log lut. I've tried the d-log m lut and it makes it so dark. I've tried so many different things and settings. I've seen so much conflicting information online. Is anyone interested in experimenting with a small clip. I'm really interested in seeing if anyone can get good results or if there is something wrong with my video. There is probably something stupid or little that is screwing me up

I did a video with my Pocket3 and there were definitely some scenes where I couldn't immediately tell if I'd applied the LUT or not. That said, just adding a 709 conversion did make it look even better and it adds basically nothing to my workflow.
Not to diminish the value of using a lut, I find there is no need for one. Dlog-M is not like a RAW. I do obviously set the timeline perimeters to display rec.709 24 during grading but just a few minor tweaks does wonders for Dlog M and if you want to use the HDR controls in DR using the wide gambet intermediate setting allows those controls to work very nicely. If you like to use luma and saturation curves they respond very nicely as well but to just get a nicely color corrected image the standard wheels work fine along with the contrast and saturation adjustments. Dlog is different. I will use a color transform on Dlog to get things closer to corrected. The color transform provided in DR works very nicely for that. Most luts take me places I don't want to go and I end up correcting the lut.

I'm not using the d-log lut. I've tried the d-log m lut and it makes it so dark. I've tried so many different things and settings. I've seen so much conflicting information online. Is anyone interested in experimenting with a small clip. I'm really interested in seeing if anyone can get good results or if there is something wrong with my video. There is probably something stupid or little that is screwing me up
Throw it in a dropbox or whatever and I'm happy to take a look.

That would be awesome and much appreciated. Hopefully this link will work:

Dude! That is a gorgeous shot for a night time shot. Everything is where it should be. Nothing clipping either black or white. Just a tiny boost in gamma and a bit of added saturation.

Manger Small.jpg

That would be awesome and much appreciated. Hopefully this link will work:

I think for as dark as it is in this clip there's not much more you could do. There really isn't any amount of editing that you can do if the sensor doesn't have any light to work with. Once you get about 30 minutes past sunset--maybe more in the summer and depending on the geography--there is simply no details in the shadows that a sensor will be able to pick up, regardless of ISO or exposure time unless you have a ton of ambient light...which this scene just doesn't have.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13