DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Error - "Downward Facing Vision Sensor Calibration Error"

mfontaine2

Reactions
I started getting this a couple of days ago midflight. "Downward Facing Vision Sensor Calibration Error. Auto Calibration in Progress... (Code. 180003)". Whatever "Auto Calibration" process is attempting to run never finishes. A reboot clears the error, but it reoccurs within the first minute of flights. Once the error occurs, flight gets a bit fiddly. Drone is no longer happy attempting to descend and does so with extremely erratic velocity. Additionally, drone seems to begin slowly drifting horizontally, and RTH does not behave correctly. When I tried to use RTH, drone ascended to RTH altitude and then proceeded to oscillate between rotating left and right like it was trying to line up to begin the RTH process, but just kept wiggling back and forth until I took manual control.

I've found plenty of other threads regarding this error on OTHER models of drones, but haven't been able to find any information on this occuring on a Mavic Air 2. DJI Tech support seemed stumped, I am waiting to hear back from them. Any thoughts?

Bit of an update - I found DJI Assistant 2 and downloaded it to try to do a recalibration. Tried it 5 times, but every time I get to the end it says calibration failed....

Dang. It's stuff like this that reminds me that these are little more than flying computers.......Did you do the latest firmware update?

Bit of an update - I found DJI Assistant 2 and downloaded it to try to do a recalibration. Tried it 5 times, but every time I get to the end it says calibration failed....

Sometimes you need to set the monitor resolution at 1080p

Dang. It's stuff like this that reminds me that these are little more than flying computers.......Did you do the latest firmware update?
I figured one day all this computer equipment would have enough processing power to be able to ship itself to the moon when it becomes obsolete.

WHen you do the calibration, make sure the sensor read out ie the video that comes from both the left and right camera looks very much alike, ie not misaligned or skewed etc.

I started getting this a couple of days ago midflight. "Downward Facing Vision Sensor Calibration Error. Auto Calibration in Progress... (Code. 180003)". Whatever "Auto Calibration" process is attempting to run never finishes. A reboot clears the error, but it reoccurs within the first minute of flights. Once the error occurs, flight gets a bit fiddly. Drone is no longer happy attempting to descend and does so with extremely erratic velocity. Additionally, drone seems to begin slowly drifting horizontally, and RTH does not behave correctly. When I tried to use RTH, drone ascended to RTH altitude and then proceeded to oscillate between rotating left and right like it was trying to line up to begin the RTH process, but just kept wiggling back and forth until I took manual control.

I've found plenty of other threads regarding this error on OTHER models of drones, but haven't been able to find any information on this occuring on a Mavic Air 2. DJI Tech support seemed stumped, I am waiting to hear back from them. Any thoughts?

Probably should have posted awhile back when I did solve my issue. The calibration process in DJI Assistant 2 software appears to be very sensitive to the monitor used. It did NOT work on my monitor (although it's a curved monitor, so that was probably an issue.) It also did not work on the monitor on my wife's PC. I eventually (out of desperation) tried it on my Surface Pro Laptop and was successful. Recommendation is to keep trying it on every monitor and/or laptop you have access to until you find one that works.

I got this error about a week ago when in a small crash after using Active Track. Nothing broke on the drone but the error kept coming up. I tried to calibrate everything and did the DJI Assistant calibration didn't work even after changing laptops and screens. Last resort was to upen the bottom cover, and realized cause of my problem was a lose downward vision camera cable. Coming down from only a 3 foot drop on grass was a little concerning that it was able to make the cable loose. If you do this make sure you have tried everything! The connector goes in with two subtle clicks so be careful when pushing them down hard (you may need to unplug and plug them back in).

Reactions: StantonZ
I have just got this downward sensor error . It does not seem to affect the operation of the drone however. I have calibrated with assistant 2 but no luck with fault. UK Mavic 2 zoom.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada