DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 range with Smartcontroller

swoermck

Reactions
Hi,

having the MA2 for 2 weeks now, I discovered that you have to be very precise how you point the standard controllers antenna to optimize receiption. Compared to the Mavic Pro with the foldable antennas on the RC I have the feeling that MA2 will get the "weak signal" earlier. Outside in open fields with free sight (and being very precise where I point the antenna of the MA2 standard controller) quality of reception seems equal.

So my guess is the old foldable antennas from the Mavic Pro remote control are a bit more "fault tolerant" where to point your controller - and if I am not mistaking the Smartcontroller (which is now compatible) has those foldable antennas as well?

Having said this I'm debating with myself if I should get the smartcontroller (yes and I like them for other features as well, discussed in detail in several threads here), and would like to have your opinion if the smartcontrollers foldable antennas have a benefit in regard to range and the "weak signal" problem.

FYI: flying in CE (which limits range to MA2 to 6 km), compared with Mavic Pro (FCC mod) which should give around 7 km range

thanks,

Stefan

The SC does indeed have "Standard" omni directional antennas which differ from the MA2 from the actual patch antennas they use. So a more confined "beam" is focused from a MA2 controller. As far as distance it's subjective. In theory you would, if focused at aircraft, have a "stronger" signal from a patch antenna. However few pilots can determine and fly orientation to aircraft. So the SC antenna will give more flexibility and somewhat better range. It's half of this kinda thing.

You have to decide your flying enviroment and flying style and make the call from there. I however love the design of the SC antennas that deploy with a finger flick from the bottom of the SC ..it's a well thought out design. But one has to remember to deploy the darn antennas...not that I would know. :rolleyes:

I don't think the MA2 signal is that confined, since they make yagi antennas for it. If the MA2 already was that narrow, yagis wouldn't improve the signal much.

Reactions: kidroc
One thing I already thought about concerning the standard MA2 controller: as the phone is now mounted VERY CLOSE to the antenna of the controller - should I consider putting the phone into flight mode? Will it make a difference?

One thing I already thought about concerning the standard MA2 controller: as the phone is now mounted VERY CLOSE to the antenna of the controller - should I consider putting the phone into flight mode? Will it make a difference?
It should not in theory. Phones are running 4g or 3G at 700, 1400, 1800 and 1900 MHz. They don’t really interfere with 2.4 or 5.8ghz. Not even the harmonics. I would consider to switch off the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Hi. Not intending to bump here, but as a newb, why is it so important to fly so far? Here in UK rules state that the aircraft must be in field of view at all times. I certainly couldn't see my drone 5km away! Are these rules different elsewhere or do people not pay attention to the rules?
Regards Chris

Reactions: Speedster 1966
I don't think the MA2 signal is that confined, since they make yagi antennas for it. If the MA2 already was that narrow, yagis wouldn't improve the signal much.
If I'm not mistaken, currently yagis are made only for FCC - 5.8ghz. The UK uses CE - 2.4ghz.

You are mistaken. Power is reduced in CE, but both modes have both bands available.

It was the MM1 that only had 5.8 for FCC version of RC. Non FCC version had both bands but at reduced power.

You are mistaken. Power is reduced in CE, but both modes have both bands available.

It was the MM1 that only had 5.8 for FCC version of RC. Non FCC version had both bands but at reduced power.
I'm in Israel. DJI products do not have access to FCC - 5.8ghz here. I've read that it can be obtained by using a FakeGPS app, i.e. kidding the drone that it is located in an FCC region, but haven't - and won't - try it. [I'm afraid that if I did, RTH would be interpreted as "Return To Hong Kong". :)

Reactions: Thomas B
That's not the point. Point was it has the 5.8 band regardless of location so a 5.8 yagi should work and likely a better choice over a 2.4.

That's not the point. Point was it has the 5.8 band regardless of location so a 5.8 yagi should work and likely a better choice over a 2.4.
Like I said, where I am the 5.8 band is inaccessible. I think its software or hardware blocked. So a 5.8 yagi is useless here.

Like I said, where I am the 5.8 band is inaccessible. I think its software or hardware blocked. So a 5.8 yagi is useless here.
Why is it inaccessible? Nothing in the specs limits 5.8 only to certain locations.
Power is limited in certain areas, yes, but still exists.

I initially had a few issues with range using the Smart Controller and almost returned it in the first week, until my dude at the d1store.com.au (Australian DJI store)told me in a very Steve Jobs way, that I was holding it wrong. You can fold the antennas right out similar to the MM1 controller, but apparently the correct way is to fold it out only one click so your hands sit behind the antenna. After that I'm now getting full range and probably more than the standard MA2 controller, however, that is only speculation because the rules state that you must maintain VLOS at all times, and (Of course) nobody would EVER break the rules...

Even with the MM1 controller, antennas are supposed to be up unless the AC is right above you, then you point it out.
Energy radiates from the flat sides, not the tips.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair