DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 RTH accuracy

dobro2

Reactions
When using the RTH, the drone lands fine on the pad, but the compass indicator on the DJI Fly App (lower left corner) indicates a landing position error. While this may not be a problem, it's a bit disconcerting as you think it's missing the pad if you're only watching the screen. Sometimes the error indicates 3-5 feet off the mark but the drone does lands accurately. I'm using the latest DJI firmware Mar. 25, 2021 (610) and the latest DJI FLY app ver 1.3xx. and an Apple 8th gen tablet. I also have calibrated the compass and IMU several times with not much change. Any ideas ?
thanks in advance,
Dobro

that is quite normal ,to be honest you should be watching the drone as it descends, and making sure that no one is approaching the landing pad ,not the screen

Reactions: Thomas B and Dbez1
Many thanks for the reply... that's what I thought... just the first few times it did it, I wanted to compensate manually for the error reading which actually made it worse.

thanks again

Reactions: old man mavic
@dobro2 hi fellow flyer ,just a quickie with regards to the RTH feature,there is nothing wrong with using RTH to bring the drone back home ,and many people do just that for every flight
i myself prefer to fly back home manually and land the drone myself ,it is good stick practice getting it in the center of the landing pad ,more so if the wind is gusty and as we all know the landing is the hardest part of any sort of flight ,sometimes the drone will decide it doesnt like the landing spot for some reason ,and will just hover till you tell it to land so its good to know how to do this ,also if the drone is struggling to make headway on the RTH then its better to cancel it descend as you fly back yourself as the wind is often less at a lower altitude

Reactions: Thomas B and ehje
@dobro2 hi fellow flyer ,just a quickie with regards to the RTH feature,there is nothing wrong with using RTH to bring the drone back home ,and many people do just that for every flight
i myself prefer to fly back home manually and land the drone myself ,it is good stick practice getting it in the center of the landing pad ,more so if the wind is gusty and as we all know the landing is the hardest part of any sort of flight ,sometimes the drone will decide it doesnt like the landing spot for some reason ,and will just hover till you tell it to land so its good to know how to do this ,also if the drone is struggling to make headway on the RTH then its better to cancel it descend as you fly back yourself as the wind is often less at a lower altitude
To further that, you can do both.. Initiate RTH and let it engage...cancel it after a few seconds and just push right stick forward. Aircraft will climb/rotate to home point in firsts few seconds. then a manual flight home is available if one has connection or anywhere along that path once RTH is canceled and connection is established ;) Again one should not be afraid of the RTH command and one should know how to fly home as well :)

Yes, as OMM said above, but if you don’t have room to decrease altitude, you could also go to sport mode. Depending on your coordination, you may want to carefully learn how to hand catch it. There are times when this is the preferred option. Watch utube videos on this technique but be careful, if not done the right way, you could end up in the emergency room. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
All good responses, in addition, a POOR understanding of how the drone is programmed, and how to use RTH, can cause issues. Much better to bring it home manually, better then saying I crashed my drone and don't understand what happened. I will never forget the fellow on the boat, home point updated, moved boat, activated RTH, and drone went back to where he was, and sank in the water. The light went on, when he lost the drone in the water, as to what he did wrong.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky