DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Mackinac Bridge, MI

I absolutely love The Mackinaw Bridge that spans five miles across the Straits of Mackinaw.

I used to snowmobile in the U.P. and the water would be frozen when we crossed it.

An ice breaker ship would go through at times to keep the shipping lanes open.

Thanks for sharing a summer time view of it. :)

Reactions: KaiservonPoopChute
Great flying. I like the bridge - cool stuff.

Awesome! I'm heading to the U.P. next month for 3 weeks. Hoping to get some similar footage since I'll be visiting Mackinaw Island while I'm there.

Just a heads up, drones on the island may be prohibited in some areas.

Have fun. :)

Reactions: KaiservonPoopChute
Great flying. Would have been superb to have flown underneath it! ??
I didn't have the guts :) I have this constant vision that if I fly underneath a bridge, THAT'S when I'll lose signal and the drone will fly straight up when it initiates its RTH.

Awesome! I'm heading to the U.P. next month for 3 weeks. Hoping to get some similar footage since I'll be visiting Mackinaw Island while I'm there.
Nice! I had the drone with me in the plane, but it seemed like too much of a hassle to lug it around the island.

I didn't have the guts :) I have this constant vision that if I fly underneath a bridge, THAT'S when I'll lose signal and the drone will fly straight up when it initiates its RTH.
Set your RTH to hover, have a good line of sight & fly through in tripod mode. That’s what I do.

Great flying. Would have been superb to have flown underneath it! ??
Since the FAA considers drones an aircraft flying under the main suspension span may be prohibited. A navy plane flew under it back in the early 1960s and the pilot was immediately stripped of his wings and promptly court-martialed.
Long story short, read up and check all regulations before attempting it and keep yourself out of trouble with the law.

Since the FAA considers drones an aircraft flying under the main suspension span may be prohibited. A navy plane flew under it back in the early 1960s and the pilot was immediately stripped of his wings and promptly court-martialed.
Long story short, read up and check all regulations before attempting it and keep yourself out of trouble with the law.

Also, since the main towers are 552 ft above the water line, a flyover would be prohibited as it would exceed the maximum allowed altitude for a UAV (unless special permission can be obtained from the FAA to temporarily exceed the established limit).

Reactions: MA2 317
I could then fly up to 952', until I was 400' away, laterally, from the main towers. :)

I could then fly up to 952', until I was 400' away, laterally, from the main towers. :)

Are you a part 107 certificate approved pilot?

The 400' plus rule is good for those who are Part 107, not recreational flyers.

The bridge is a structure and not natural terrain.

Just checking.

Awesome video!

Yes, definitely Part 107. I've done a number of flights above some very tall structures.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580