DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Made Some Flight Errors

tcope

Reactions
Just wanted to share a recent experience that I had with the Air. Broke out the Air after a few days of traveling. Want to fly it for some aerial video at a kite festival. So I took off, straight up to clear some kite lines and noticed that I was at 60% battery. They warning told me that batteries were in a discharge state. I watched the battery and it seemed to be holding the charge just fine. After some video I thought I'd fly up high and down the beach. As I was doing this, I got a 30% low battery notice. What I had not considered was that my timing was off. I started at 60% and the Air has a short flight time. I started to come back and then also kicked it into Sport mode. I was around 200' away and around 15% battery. Something I did not think about.... I needed to be _directly_ overhead before I even started to come down as I only had an area of about 50' around where there were no kites or lines. I started to panic a bit as I did not want the Air to start landing at 10%. There were a lot of people and kites in the area. At this point, I was about to piss myself. I got the Air down o around 200' and managed to find it in the sky after 10 seconds or so. I landed with just over 10% battery left.

There were three errors I made... I took off with less then 100% charge. The issue was not the charge itself but that this made error 2 worse. Second error was that I failed to remember that I was flying the Air with less flight time. Last error was becoming a little laid back in flying around people or objects. I should have realized that launching in such an area meant it would be much more difficult to land.

Something to keep in mind.

Reactions: rfc
We all get a little lax at times but these events make us realize they are closer to planes than rc craft. Also their cost!

Just wanted to share a recent experience that I had with the Air. Broke out the Air after a few days of traveling. Want to fly it for some aerial video at a kite festival. So I took off, straight up to clear some kite lines and noticed that I was at 60% battery. They warning told me that batteries were in a discharge state. I watched the battery and it seemed to be holding the charge just fine. After some video I thought I'd fly up high and down the beach. As I was doing this, I got a 30% low battery notice. What I had not considered was that my timing was off. I started at 60% and the Air has a short flight time. I started to come back and then also kicked it into Sport mode. I was around 200' away and around 15% battery. Something I did not think about.... I needed to be _directly_ overhead before I even started to come down as I only had an area of about 50' around where there were no kites or lines. I started to panic a bit as I did not want the Air to start landing at 10%. There were a lot of people and kites in the area. At this point, I was about to piss myself. I got the Air down o around 200' and managed to find it in the sky after 10 seconds or so. I landed with just over 10% battery left.

There were three errors I made... I took off with less then 100% charge. The issue was not the charge itself but that this made error 2 worse. Second error was that I failed to remember that I was flying the Air with less flight time. Last error was becoming a little laid back in flying around people or objects. I should have realized that launching in such an area meant it would be much more difficult to land.

Something to keep in mind.
Yer made a similar mistake. At 15% I thought I could fly just a little bit more... Air went into auto mode went straight up into power line then plummeted straight in the ground.

My lesson learnt.

Obey warnings and play it safe.

If the battery is in a discharge state, then thats what it is doing. If you really need this flight, then land, hit the battery button once to stop auto discharge.
But in my view, it sounds like an irresponsible flight in all areas. IMO.

If the battery is in a discharge state, then thats what it is doing. If you really need this flight, then land, hit the battery button once to stop auto discharge.
But in my view, it sounds like an irresponsible flight in all areas. IMO.

Once the battery button is pressed it stops auto discharging, as you mentioned. So it's not auto discharging when being being used. I think the auto discharge warned is not 100% correct but I think it is a good thing. The warning gives the person the impression that the battery is still in auto discharge state but it's not. However, I think it's a good thing as it serves to let the person know that the battery is not in that 100% charged stated they might thing it's in.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLoucks