DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic interference and compass calibration failure

Archer1784

Reactions
Good day everyone!

I'm currently traveling through Colombia and I brought my Mavic Pro with me for all the trip, I updated the latest firmware and I was ready to fly when everytime I turn on it gives me tue constant problem, Magnetic interference, check app, and the compass always fails to set manually, sometimes I take off and sets on his own but still get the magnetic interference.

Now, before leaving for this trip I changed my phone from an Iphone6 to a 7plus and changed the Memory card from the standard that was in the Mavic pro to a 32mb brand new.

When I was in Sydney nothing like this ever happened before, has this to do with the latest firmware, with the micro Sd or only with the environment?? I mean, I flew in the countryside of Colombia, in a Military base, in a hotel courtyard, in a Fort and always the same...magnetic interference, the drone once just went by itself for 5 seconds (and as a noob pilot I was a bit in panic) but I recovered it.

Thanks all for any help and tip you can give me!

Hi Archer

Upload your flight data logs to HealthyDrones, then post a link so that OP's on the forum can look at the flight details.

Regards
Waylander

It could be. Yolu might try to reflash the fireware to make sure it took. But as a side note,
One should never make drastic changes (firmware, hardware, eytc) just before a big trip/vacation without wringing it out for a few days before leaving.
Fixing stuff on the road sux bigtime.

Reactions: Archer1784
Hi Archer

Upload your flight data logs to HealthyDrones, then post a link so that OP's on the forum can look at the flight details.

Regards
Waylander
Being a new user makes me ask lots of questions, how do I proceed to do that?

Gonna do it as soon as I land. Thanks

And yes that was a dumb move from me updating and not testing, but the update came to me the first day in Colombia! :/ sadly

Being a new user makes me ask lots of questions, how do I proceed to do that?
If you want to check out your flight log, you can upload and view it online here. Airdata (Healthy Drones) is not very useful for troubleshooting flight logs.

everytime I turn on it gives me tue constant problem, Magnetic interference
Are the Mavic arms unfolded when you turn it on? Are there any magnetic metal objects near your Mavic or on your person? Do you see that message if you pick up your Mavic and hold it in the air?

If you want to check out your flight log, you can upload and view it online here. Airdata (Healthy Drones) is not very useful for troubleshooting flight logs.

Are the Mavic arms unfolded when you turn it on? Are there any magnetic metal objects near your Mavic or on your person? Do you see that message if you pick up your Mavic and hold it in the air?

Unfolded and ready to takeoff, it tells me to check the app or move the aircraft, but happened every time i tried to fly it since arrived in Colombia and last update. I read that someone had problem with the micro sd

And at the moment I don't have access to my Mac for Itunes :/

How about the answers to my second two questions?

How about the answers to my second two questions?
Metal objects normal like I used to fly in Australia, metal rails(not so big) cables, but on me nothing at all, I never encountered this problem before.

And do you still see that message if you power on your Mavic and hold it up in the air?

I read that someone had problem with the micro sd
Got a link?

And do you still see that message if you power on your Mavic and hold it up in the air?

Got a link?

Didn't try to hold it in the air, haven't thought about that, and about the link, I will try to find it again cause I was reading and occurred to me was an old 2016 forum (not this ofc)

So I need to try to hold it in the air while on and ready to take off(wothout taking off) have I understood correctly?IMG_0260.JPG
This is the second time I took off in the Colombian Countryside in Boyaca, there are normal electrical lines but nothing special, the compass got straight when took off but gave me magnetic interference.

So I need to try to hold it in the air while on and ready to take off(wothout taking off) have I understood correctly?
Right -- just trying to eliminate the possibility of any metal objects in the ground causing interference. You could even do that test indoors.

Right -- just trying to eliminate the possibility of any metal objects in the ground causing interference. You could even do that test indoors.

Ok done, results are that on the floor gives me on the remote, magnetic interference/check app, I put it above my head in the air and at my chest height and got ready to go.

This is how it behaves

Is there anything metallic on the floor? If you place it on a non-metallic table (with nothing metal below tabletop), do you also see that message?

IMG_0263.JPG
Is there anything metallic on the floor? If you place it on a non-metallic table (with nothing metal below tabletop), do you also see that message?

No metalon the floor but inside I believe so, houses made of concrete usually have iron bars to reinforce, on the table still the problem

Isn't that a metal bar under your Mavic? The idea is to sit your Mavic in a location where you know there is no metal ;)

Isn't that a metal bar under your Mavic? The idea is to sit your Mavic in a location where you know there is no metal ;)

Yes of course, no that is a wooden table, mainly, the thing that I don't understand that in an open countryside field gave me the same, when in Bondi beach where there are many more metal objects I never had issues :(

Note that many concrete objects have re-bar embedded inside which can cause magnetic errors. If you are taking off from a sidewalk, foundation, or any other concrete structure that may be causing the issue.

Another thing you can use to help to help diagnose metallic objects affecting the aircraft is to go into the Main Controller Settings in the app (looks like a quad icon), then tap on the Advanced Settings, then Sensors, then click on the Compass tab. This will show you a real time display of the interferance level affecting each compass. The mavic just needs to be powered up, not flying, and if you move the quad next to items like a metal desk, re-inforced concrete, a vehicle you can see the compass interference levels jump around.

Not metal?

IMG_0263.JPG

Note that many concrete objects have re-bar embedded inside which can cause magnetic errors. If you are taking off from a sidewalk, foundation, or any other concrete structure that may be causing the issue.

Another thing you can use to help to help diagnose metallic objects affecting the aircraft is to go into the Main Controller Settings in the app (looks like a quad icon), then tap on the Advanced Settings, then Sensors, then click on the Compass tab. This will show you a real time display of the interferance level affecting each compass. The mavic just needs to be powered up, not flying, and if you move the quad next to items like a metal desk, re-inforced concrete, a vehicle you can see the compass interference levels jump around.
Ok, done , weird fact...if the mavic is in the normal position and only mid air (i'm indoor) the compass 2 gives me the Red(poor) signal and #1 is green, if I put it sideways, they become both green. Any thoughts?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803