DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic interference from EUC ?

AeroJ

Reactions
Having just acquired the MP4 with a view to wheeling myself up some majestic hills on my EUC (electric unicycle) to fly, it occurs to me that the huge array of powerful magnets in the motor for that might interfere with my GPS when close to it during launch and landings. Anyone here have any experience of that, fine or otherwise ?

Seems like it would be an easy solution to just keep your distance between your drone and the cycle. Not sure how much "interference" can be had from one of those but I would think keeping even a small distance away would rectify the problem. Seems doable. These drones are actually not as susceptible to interference as most would think, despite the numerous warnings we sometimes see on the display.

Reactions: mneeze and AeroJ
I think that's a good idea, but even though it will obviously be off while I am flying I do have to stay quite close to it when there are people around lest anyone thinks to try and walk off with it while my attention is focused skywards ! I'll do a couple of tests in the next few days all being well, but I think if I keep the 2 machines 15 ft+ apart all the time that should be fine...

A corollary question arises when we want to actually ride around and record / track with the drone. Some wheelers I know actually put the RC down to do this, but I think that's madness so I would much rather keep it with me and risk damage to it if the wheel cuts out and I crash. Here it's not drone proximity to craft I worry about but rather controller proximity to an active electromagnet kicking out up to 9000 watts of power.

it occurs to me that the huge array of powerful magnets in the motor for that might interfere with my GPS
Magnets won't affect GPS.
But they will have a serious effect on the drone's compass if they are close enough to the drone.

Reactions: mneeze
Magnets won't affect GPS.
But they will have a serious effect on the drone's compass if they are close enough to the drone.
Ah yeah, sorry I meant that rather than GPS. Agreed. Any idea what sort of distance might be safe ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01