DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic Interference message

Ira E

Reactions
I just got my Mavic 2 Zoom with the regular controller, and it's a great drone.... I specially like the obstacle detection in all directions, and of course, the zoom lens, but the controller keeps putting up a message that says there is magnetic interference, and I should move to another area. I know there isn't any magnetic interference because I flew my Phantom 4 in the same area and never got the message. It still lets me fly, but complains about magnetic interference periodically. Has anyone else had that problem, and if so, what to do about it. Ira

I just got my Mavic 2 Zoom with the regular controller, and it's a great drone.... I specially like the obstacle detection in all directions, and of course, the zoom lens, but the controller keeps putting up a message that says there is magnetic interference, and I should move to another area. I know there isn't any magnetic interference because I flew my Phantom 4 in the same area and never got the message. It still lets me fly, but complains about magnetic interference periodically. Has anyone else had that problem, and if so, what to do about it. Ira

Have you tried calibrating the compass?

I did. There are 3 axes that you have to rotate the drone to calibrate it, but it does not seem satisfied when I do what it indicates in the photos showing how to rotate it.
If that's the problem (compass not calibrated), then the message is a bogus message.... It's not that there is magnetic interference, just that it wants the compass calibrated. I'm not sure which it is. I will try to do the compass calibration again.

I did. There are 3 axes that you have to rotate the drone to calibrate it, but it does not seem satisfied when I do what it indicates in the photos showing how to rotate it.
If that's the problem (compass not calibrated), then the message is a bogus message.... It's not that there is magnetic interference, just that it wants the compass calibrated. I'm not sure which it is. I will try to do the compass calibration again.
I've had my M2Z complain about Magnetic Interference before and the compass calibration did solve it.

It may be a "bogus message" in the sense that it gives that message when one of the firmware criteria determines that compass calibration is needed. On the M2 those are:
  1. More than 30 days since last calibration;
  2. More than 50 km from previous flight location;
  3. Magnetometer field strength readings are out of range.
(1) and (2) are just arbitrary criteria, and it would certainly be helpful if the message simply stated the reason. It's logged in the DAT file so it is available.

(3) could be triggered by the magnetic state of the aircraft changing, either because of added components or because something on the aircraft became magnetized, and that does require calibration to fix. But (3) is also potentially indicative of external magnetic interference, and calibration won't fix that of course - nothing will except moving out of the region of interference. The aircraft doesn't know the difference between those, hence the "move or calibrate" message.

It may be a "bogus message" in the sense that it gives that message when one of the firmware criteria determines that compass calibration is needed. On the M2 those are:
  1. More than 30 days since last calibration;
  2. More than 50 km from previous flight location;
  3. Magnetometer field strength readings are out of range.
(1) and (2) are just arbitrary criteria, and it would certainly be helpful if the message simply stated the reason. It's logged in the DAT file so it is available.

(3) could be triggered by the magnetic state of the aircraft changing, either because of added components or because something on the aircraft became magnetized, and that does require calibration to fix. But (3) is also potentially indicative of external magnetic interference, and calibration won't fix that of course - nothing will except moving out of the region of interference. The aircraft doesn't know the difference between those, hence the "move or calibrate" message.
Thanks!!! As I am flying it more, some "pieces of the puzzle" are falling into place, and different issues are coming up, but overall, I'm pretty happy with this drone. Unless I missed it somewhere in the "instructions", DJI doesn't tell you that the gimbal protector is only for while you are transporting the drone (presumably in the carry-pouch they give you.). I thought it protected the camera/gimbal during flight. When I started the drone, I got a message on the controller that the gimbal motors were overloaded, so I took off the gimbal protector. Once I realized what the gimbal protector was really there for, I got a hard-shell foam padded box with cutouts for all the "parts".... Much better than trying to stuff everything into the carry-pouch that DJI includes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada