DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAGNETIC INTERFERENCE

Jetadhai

Reactions
Today I was to have recorded two large sites. Ready to fly at the first site, I could not get my controller (iPad Mini) to CONNECT with the M2Z. All I get is MAGNETIC INTERFERNECE, check App! I walked away from the buildings to remote parts off the site to no avail. Switching on & off, I briefly got a STICK ERROR message which has not come on again. I was also going to check a previous RTH issue I have been having today to see if that was solved as recommended by forum members.

I normally get the camera view on the iPad, but not this time. I tried tapping the DJI GO4 but it takes me through a 4 stage set up guide, with the 4th stage greyed out … cant proceed beyond that … anyway, on the 1st stage page there is a one liner that says to the effect … if you have connected this page will not show ...

In this state … I once tried starting with the twin stick down-centre and the M2Z started up, I sticked up & it took off and I hovered about a meter off the ground & then down stick to land it. Did it beautifully, but no camera view on the screen … just the DJI GO4 app home page ...

I presume my DJI GO4 app is up-to-date … as my Update Automatically is switched ON on the IPad. I can't find anywhere on it to "check for updates" on the home page itself … On the iPad App list it appears updated!

So I cancelled the locations & drove back home to see if I could resolve it there. In my backyard I tried to connect & fly … here too I get the MAGNETIC ERROR message with a Check App suggestion. I have never had this problem at home. Now what do I do now I am wondering … I have never had this problem before … not that I am such an experienced flyer nor have I extensive hours of flying …and I HELP out there … any suggestions???

When that interference message occurs in multiple locations it is generally the result of the requirement on the Mavic 2 to calibrate the compass if the aircraft is more than 50 km from its last flight or more than 30 days since its last calibration. It doesn't actually mean that there is any magnetic interference. It is also not going to be related to any difficulty getting the app to connect to the aircraft - that will have been a different issue, possibly related to the USB cable.

When that interference message occurs in multiple locations it is generally the result of the requirement on the Mavic 2 to calibrate the compass if the aircraft is more than 50 km from its last flight or more than 30 days since its last calibration. It doesn't actually mean that there is any magnetic interference. It is also not going to be related to any difficulty getting the app to connect to the aircraft - that will have been a different issue, possibly related to the USB cable.

If I had the camera view on the controller screen, I automatically would compass calibrate as SOP.

So I should try another USB cable from controller to IPad you suggest ... I shall try that ... thank you ... if I can get it working I still have a half day left to do the assignment ... “sigh”

1. I rebooted IPad mini ... my daughter’s idea.
2. Put all batteries onto chargers for good measure
3. Had lunch & a power nap
4. Put on warmer clothes ... wind chill getting up & don’t want a cold with Corvid-19 mucking around.
5. Fresh ... I set up ... using the same USB cable as I am very careful with it
6. On the coffee table ... started it up & connected controller ... no more MAGNETIC INTERFERENCE message ... I had camera view on the screen ... HEY PRESTO!

Dashed to the site, calibrated, & & all worked sweet !!! What happened there really ... @/($);;”£%¥€{~ ????

Timber table ... actually I was wondering if my IPhone in my pocket was the culprit ... but since I have aerial surveyed three large site with the phone in my pocket ... no problems ... so that’s ruled out

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus