DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maiden Flight Advice?

i did a fly by of my neighbours house. his kids were out playing and they were asking me to come down.. so i got down to 10ft above them then shot up like a rocket away, was funny

Reactions: Astom22
i did a fly by of my neighbours house. his kids were out playing and they were asking me to come down.. so i got down to 10ft above them then shot up like a rocket away, was funny
Kids love to fly with their hands too [emoji6]

One thing to remember, shooting in 4k/2.7k doesn't mean you have to use it, if you shoot 4k means you can crop into the picture 4x and still have a 1080 image, 2.7k gives you a 2 factor crop, I use it all the time, allows you to artificially pan and tilt as well.

Kids love to fly with their hands too [emoji6]

One thing to remember, shooting in 4k/2.7k doesn't mean you have to use it, if you shoot 4k means you can crop into the picture 4x and still have a 1080 image, 2.7k gives you a 2 factor crop, I use it all the time, allows you to artificially pan and tilt as well.
Yeah my computer will not even display or work with the 4k video... Too old.. But perfectly good computer lol

Yeah my computer will not even display or work with the 4k video... Too old.. But perfectly good computer lol
Fair enough, worth remembering though [emoji4]

Once I get into taking video worth watching I'm sure I'll want it higher lol right now it's my jittery flying and local stuff lol

Once I get into taking video worth watching I'm sure I'll want it higher lol right now it's my jittery flying and local stuff lol
As long as ya having fun and getting better, matters not [emoji16]

Did a quick flight today and worked on it in post. I think it came out the best so far. Need to adjust my frame rate, but I'll have to. Find that option in Divinci first.

I'll have to do it tomorrow, I would have to take the Air back out and put the card in. Really like how the DaVinci software doesn't actually import the video, but leaves it on the card while I work.

Didn't realize that until I went back to work on it. I'll do a raw and post back to back video with my next footage. Should get to fly some tomorrow.
Link up what it looked like before you worked on it. Curious about it

Reactions: mad monkey
Did a quick flight today and worked on it in post. I think it came out the best so far. Need to adjust my frame rate, but I'll have to. Find that option in Divinci first.

See what I mean about 60fps, just doesn't look 'right' as we are so used to seeing 23.997/25fps, but deffo looking good (Remember when the hobbiyt movies cam out and they had a High Frame Rate version at the cinemas, that no one liked :) that was only 50fps or there abouts). Keep at it. As for frame rates (not used Davince to export data in a very long time) but can you not set you output file settings, it will then encode at that frame rate, if in US your used to 23.997/24 and Europe we grew up with 25, so stick to one of them.

Last edited:
I'll have to do it tomorrow, I would have to take the Air back out and put the card in. Really like how the DaVinci software doesn't actually import the video, but leaves it on the card while I work.

Didn't realize that until I went back to work on it. I'll do a raw and post back to back video with my next footage. Should get to fly some tomorrow.
If your looking at workflow, I'd not edit using the card (read writes exhaust SD's), and even a FAST SD Card, is a lot slower than most high RPM disks/SSD's

My workflow is,

1. Create new folder with Video title on my Editing SSD
  2. Create a Mavic Folder in that and copy the contents from the SD card into it (I tend to leave the last 'set' of footage on the card, and remove anything prior on this step until I'm sure it's copied over to Google Drive successfully)
  3. Create folders for all my other camera's and do likewise
  4. Open up Premiere (your case Davince) and Create a project with the right settings (If on Premiere I highly recommend making 720p Proxies of the videos to work with)
    Capture2.PNG <- Using Proxies in Premiere, these allow the computer to 'edit' using the 720p footage, and when you render it uses the 4k/2.7k/1080p 100mbps footage in the output file. So for low powered computers this is a Godsend, makes editing High Bitrate footage easy even on low power hardware (Just thought I'd mention it, as it's not widely known)
  5. import the continents of the folders with footage, letting Prem make the Proxies
  6. Organise videos, edit, cut, colour grade, add effects etc
  7. Export (I tend to use 1080p Youtube profile, but bump the average and max encoding bitrate)
  8. Backup the project to Google Drive, and after your happy wont need the entire thing again, remove from Editing SSD
  9. Capture.PNG Looks like that sort of layout, so I know which camera system footage is from, and therefore have an idea around Grading etc (I go further and colour tag them in Premier, but that's overkill honestly)
Hope that helps some, this way your never going to need to look for where the footage is, SD Card failures wont worry you as you have the footage off, and SD Cards should last a little longer as Windows/MacOS isn't 'using' them (besides read/delete), and if you ever need 'older' footage for something else you will have access too it. Now I know I'm in a fortunate position as I've got unlimited Google Drive Storage, but whatever backup means you decide is good, whether that be Cloud or SAN/NAS (or Even Blue Ray burns) make sure you find somewhere to stash all your footage, as I guarantee the one bit of footage you delete is the one you want in 3 weeks/months time!

Last edited:
Just thought I'd mention Proxies, as people saying they can't edit 4k/2.7k footage on their PC's, using a low definition Proxy for editing allows editing at 720p, but when the project is made, it uses the High Def footage for the output.

For more info : Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Ingest and Proxy Workflow in Premiere Pro CC 2015.3

Capture3.PNG

Remember to use the + to add the Proxies icon to your workspace

I'm going to look into using proxies, sounds promising. I imported my video yesterday and it went even better that way.

Thanks again for the help.

Reactions: charlas
I'm going to look into using proxies, sounds promising. I imported my video yesterday and it went even better that way.

Thanks again for the help.
Not sure how Davince does it, but sure it's there somewhere

Thanks for the great tips.

The incident was I was flying up high and not too far away, I was hovering and looking at something near me. Then "Grey screen" (like when you turn off the drone and it began return to home.

I think I mah have not had my phone securely plugged in and it momentarily lost contact with the RC.

If I lose contact and the Air is returning to home, is there a way to reconnect? Do I cycle the RC?

Thanks again.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

If the bird is returning to home, it will reconnect to the controller automatically as soon as it can re-establish a link. In my experience (Mavic Pro, Phantoms, Inspire 1) you don't need to recycle the controller.

The main issue is to work out where it is, as, once it goes into RTH, it will have moved some distance since you last had control.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr