DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maintaining Mavic 3 batteries

JoelP

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The Mavic 3 has batteries that enable flights in excess of 30 minutes in most circumstances. To best maintain these batteries, it is advisable to store them at about 60% level. That means that when finished flying that you could continue to fly a battery until it is at the 60% level, which could take a long time. Or you could rely on the self-discharge feature of these intelligent batteries. In the past it was possible in the app to change the number of days until your batteries began to self-discharge. That isn't supported for the Mavic 3. Here is what I was told by product support, which agrees with the manual.

The DJI Mavic 3's battery auto-discharge logic is that the battery starts automatically discharging on the ninth day of idling by default. Then the battery discharges down to 97% on the third day and to 60% on the ninth day (it takes about 5 days to discharge the level from 97% to 60%). The auto-discharge logic will restart if the battery is charged or powered on. (The discharge time will not be recalculated if pressing the power button on the battery once.)

I suppose the long discharge time is to provide for heat management, but why would it need to wait 9 days to start this process? This adds lots of days to the time that these very expensive batteries sit at a less than ideal storage level. In addition to calling tech support, I tried to find this feature in the DJI Assistant 2, but I was unable to get DJI Assistant 2 to connect to my Mavic 3 at all.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this that would be of help?

Any time a LiPo spends above or below it's ideal storage level is adding usage to that battery - long lengths of time at excessive limits above and below storage (like fully charged or fully discharged), degrade the battery quicker. LiPo's are like tires, they only have so much tread/use before they're gone. They are consumables.

Personally I would never wait for that auto-discharge, but that is me. There are many great articles that go into depth about LiPo's HERE is one on this forum that discuss LiPo's in cold weather but has other great advice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98