DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Making Gimbel Movements Smoother

ddodell

Reactions
Just made a short video ... to make it both shorter, and hopefully a little more interesting, I increased the speed 2x ... however, I noticed that my gimbal movements seem less smooth ( which makes sense because of the increased speed) ... any suggestions on how to film smoother knowing that end video is going to be speed up?

See example in link

Reactions: Yam25 and ksmusa
Try Tripod mode . Works for me .

It looks like you have no motion blur. This makes EVERYTHING look more staccato and jerky, especially panning. You need to lower your shutter speed by using an ND filter, or a stronger one if you have one on there already. I love in Southern California and almost always have an ND16 on the camera when the sun is out.

Thank you for that suggestion ... I think I had a ND4 on it, but I'll increase it ... I forget how bright it gets here in Phoenix, probably could easily use a ND32 as the default during our summer months.

The stronger ND filter is a great suggestion. You could also use the built in active track Intelligent flight mode from DJIGO4. (like over the bridge in your example) just tap the bridge on the screen to focus the active track mode.Then fly towards the bridge and over it and the active track "should" slowly and precisely move the camera downwards as you approach to keep the active tracked point of interest in the frame. Active track does not have to be used on moving objects. Since it is an automated downward pan of the camera then it should be less jerky and abrupt than doing the same move using fingers and sticks.

If you try this method let me / us know how well it works for you.

Thank you for that suggestion ... I think I had a ND4 on it, but I'll increase it ... I forget how bright it gets here in Phoenix, probably could easily use a ND32 as the default during our summer months.

PolarPro makes a great app for iOS (and I assume Android too) that lets you enter what ND filters you have in your kit and then you tell it the exposure the UAV is telling you and it will tell you what ND you need. Of course it's PolarPro branded but you don't have to have PolarPro filters. Helpful to get a good exposure out of the gate.

Reactions: mbunds
PolarPro makes a great app for iOS (and I assume Android too) that lets you enter what ND filters you have in your kit and then you tell it the exposure the UAV is telling you and it will tell you what ND you need. Of course it's PolarPro branded but you don't have to have PolarPro filters. Helpful to get a good exposure out of the gate.

Thanks for the info about the Polar Pro app! That's an excellent tip, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Splatt
As well as using a stronger ND filter, you could try cinematic mode. It dampens the controls and is faster than tripod mode. Just be aware that stopping/turning distances are longer.

I like to speed up the non interesting sections only, say take the section of video that has nothing but straight forward movement, ie the flight to the bridge, speed that up to even 4 or 6x, then drop back for the point of interest, the bridge. A good watch regardless

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada