DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Making money from pictures in the uk

jsb78

Reactions
I’ve read online that selling drone pictures for money is only allowed with a a2 cofc qualification, however I own a DJI mini 2 which I’ve seen on YouTube can be used to make money commercially, apparently because it’s such a light drone. Does anyone know whether this is true?
Thanks

Any sort of income (or commercial intent, done for free / favour / trade etc) from the use of a UAV is classified as commercial flight.
However, most countries don't have CAA / FAA / CASA etc tracking down YouTube channels unless they are hugely big on revenue.

Having a hobby type YouTube channel is not going to create a lot of problem, that's in my humble opinion only.
If you are having a channel professionally set out to make $, then you probably need to take the proper qualification at some stage.

YouTube change the rules all the time on their content and channel holders.
They have some pretty strict rules and only some months ago (6 months or so ?) demonitised a lot of channels, still put up ads though (on ALL channels / videos they want to) for their revenue.

For me, it's a love / hate thing now with YouTube, their algorithms and way they do biz are getting too much like Facebook etc.

PS. You also have the photo and video type stock image sites to make some $, though very slow to start until you have a huge database of good stock images / clips.
That would be similar I would think, small amounts are not going to be a problem, there t=would be a tipping point somewhere shady that you'd consider going legit with pilot qualifications.

@jsb78 since the start of 2021 you can post content on the internet ,without the need for a commercial licence
it is not illegal any more to make money from using your drone ,or selling pictures
but privacy laws and permission from those in the pics and videos, if they are going to be posted on the net is still a requirement ,or you could face a civil lawsuit if someone or some organisation took exception to the content

@jsb78 since the start of 2021 you can post content on the internet ,without the need for a commercial licence
it is not illegal any more to make money from using your drone ,or selling pictures
but privacy laws and permission from those in the pics and videos, if they are going to be posted on the net is still a requirement ,or you could face a civil lawsuit if someone or some organisation took exception to the content

Thanks for your reply. I’ve seen the YouTube videos saying since the start of 2021 you can indeed sell your footage without the need for a commercial license but where does it say this on the caa website? I can’t see it in written form anywhere

Reactions: I.C.Landscape
Just a small remark here: Even if you are not legally requiered in your country to have an liabillity insurance, you are well advised to have one. Not just for the drone.

Reactions: old man mavic
Hello, i have a mini 4 pro and i start to upload images and videos on Getty, do i have to register as commercial now? And do i have to pass any exam? Thanks in advance

Take a close look at British legal rulings concerning "Incidental inclusion". Unless you specifically intended to photograph that particular individual in close detail with them in that environment: their presence in that location is incidental and the result is classified as 'candid photography'.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest