DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Making money with a drone and the 107 cert

Personal opinion about getting Part 107 licensed -- In 2018, the FAA is working on how to permit flying BVLOS and flying over people. I can't help but think that doing those things legally will be available (legally) only to licensed remote pilots. Getting the license is about 15-20 hours worth of studying freely available materials and $150 testing fee. The pass rate is about 90% first time. Once done, you can even make a little money while having fun and you're all set for whatever comes out from the FAA. License is good for 2-yrs before you have to re-test.

Personal opinion about getting Part 107 licensed -- In 2018, the FAA is working on how to permit flying BVLOS and flying over people. I can't help but think that doing those things legally will be available (legally) only to licensed remote pilots. Getting the license is about 15-20 hours worth of studying freely available materials and $150 testing fee. The pass rate is about 90% first time. Once done, you can even make a little money while having fun and you're all set for whatever comes out from the FAA. License is good for 2-yrs before you have to re-test.
The only issue that I have with the entire Part 107 licensing is that it's meaningless until they (FAA) include a skills test (i.e. hands on).

The only issue that I have with the entire Part 107 licensing is that it's meaningless until they (FAA) include a skills test (i.e. hands on).

Agree. All considered, I think it's a good argument for getting the license now rather than after the FAA refines the requirements. The knowledge requirements will probably get tougher, certainly more relevant, and I'll be surprised if the equipment requirements don't get more demanding as well. For example flying over people might involve redundancy like multirotors that can still fly with an individual motor or prop failure. There seems to be lots of buzz also about some kind of live ID and/or location to be readable by ATC's. Some where along the line, we'll probably see CTAF radio training and equipment requirements to avoid traffic at non-towered airports. Being able to fly responsibly near those smaller airports would free up a LOT of legal flying space. For sure the requirements are going to evolve, and it's just got to be easier to evolve with them from the inside rather than watching the hurdle rates move from the outside. Just my $0.02USD. Regards............. R

Ok;
Drone flight time is free/no charge.
My post production to final product video will cost you.
Fine line?
Or legit?
I know editing my personal videos is more of a chore and time consuming than the flight.
Thoughts?

Ok;
Drone flight time is free/no charge.
My post production to final product video will cost you.
Fine line?
Or legit?
I know editing my personal videos is more of a chore and time consuming than the flight.
Thoughts?
Part 107.

This would be like a moonshine seller saying the moonshine was free, but the container is $100. The FAA aren't dumb.

Last edited:
Brass knuckle paperweights ... has worked for years ...

Lol, I LOVE Tacyon's answer. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth from another standpoint. I doubt the one-time event would be a problem outside of a 1099 type transaction, however, I would wonder why NOT get your Part 107 soon? The industry is not going away, but it will become more regulated as it goes.

There are two basic areas of thought here. Yep, the "cowboy" method, and the sUAV service industry professional. If it's a one-off thing and you really aren't interested in doing more of this for $$$ other than as a hobby, then you might not see the need for Part 107. If you want to be a professional in the industry, you would definitely need to be reg/certified and keep up with the industry reqs.

I, personally, went with Part 107, and keeping up with the industry. I use my drones years to add around $8K to the services I already offer to a specific industry in Texas, as well as local farmers and ranchers. I also use my FLIR capable Phantom 4 to help with SAR or defining hotspots for the local fire department, and do paid feral hog location services, wildlife migratory route logs, etc.

Everyone has an opinion. Mine is that I get to interface with some really awesome rescue operations, help people, and make some money to addd to my "UAV Addiction Fund", lol. Either way, who in their right mind would pass up some free food, lolol?!

Hve a great Day!

Well, personally.. I would not take any form of pay for flying the drone. My brother loved.. LOVED Taxidermy.... till he started doing it for a living. Now, he hates it.

I am having fun flying and I honestly have a good job, so...

My biggest fear is doing a favor for someone to get more flying time for me, turns into another favor and another favor.

Maybe just SAY NO after the first favor would be an option here. Some people will get a favor, then think they just boarded the Freebie Train for life.

R

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr