Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Man caught after fleeing police standoff, shooting at drone

dirkclod

Reactions
Yeah and not sure what it was over but will be interesting
If the FAA gets involved. I will have to research it more to see
just what went on.

I find it interesting. That it mentions assault rifle and drone in area and threatening officer lives , But drone is the one that makes it to the title of article.

Reactions: Filipok
It was a law enforcement drone trying to find him - easier to send that in then men

Yep totally get that. It only says drone in area , However we just had to huge shootings with rifles and it’s everyones favorite time with candidates all with something to say. Kinda see where I’m heading here??? Yet drone made the title.

Tricky one. Is it an offense if someone shoots at you, or only if they hit you?
Well, in that case, I suppose it could be "attempted" murder. In the case of a drone, what would it be, "attempted" destruction of gov't property? IDK if that holds water.

Well, in that case, I suppose it could be "attempted" murder. In the case of a drone, what would it be, "attempted" destruction of gov't property? IDK if that holds water.

Do you think it's legal to shoot at manned aircraft, provided that you miss?

Reactions: Amarand
Do you think it's legal to shoot at manned aircraft, provided that you miss?
If a tree falls in the forest...Just kidding. But then there's the whole murder thing again. Really, I just don't know. A reasonable person would think that it is illegal to shoot at the drone (hit or miss), but I'd still like to know the statute. Obviously, there are other charges in play here like "wreckless discharge of a firearm", and I'm sure many others but the question is "is it against the law to fire a gun in the direction of a state-owned UAV, provided you don't actually hit it"? Google has volumes about shooting down and/or damaging, nothing about the near-miss, at least not that I could locate in my abbreviated search.

Reactions: sar104
If a tree falls in the forest...Just kidding. But then there's the whole murder thing again. Really, I just don't know. A reasonable person would think that it is illegal to shoot at the drone (hit or miss), but I'd still like to know the statute. Obviously, there are other charges in play here like "wreckless discharge of a firearm", and I'm sure many others but the question is "is it against the law to fire a gun in the direction of a state-owned UAV, provided you don't actually hit it"? Google has volumes about shooting down and/or damaging, nothing about the near-miss, at least not that I could locate in my abbreviated search.

"wreckless discharge of a firearm"

I like that - definitely a good description of what happens if you shoot at a drone and miss.

If I wanted to knock a drone out of the sky, I sure as heck wouldn’t use an assault rifle. Shot-gun, most certainly....

You’d have to be better than a Marksman to knock a small bird like a drone out of the air with a 223 or 556

Yeah and not sure what it was over but will be interesting
If the FAA gets involved. I will have to research it more to see
just what went on.
FAA don't have to get involved. They have the law on the books already. It is unlawful to shoot or shoot at an aircraft. There fore it is an additional fellony charge the DA can charge him with.

If he charges him with it. I did write the DA’s Office there .
But have not received anything back on just what they
have charged him with.

Reactions: TampaTC

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes