DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Managing batteries

Snow-man

Reactions
Got my MA2 Fly More Combo 3 weeks ago. For those of you, experienced pilots with lots of drones and batteries to go with them, how do you manage your batteries knowing they discharge automatically and that it takes about 1 to 1.5 hour to recharge a battery after 3-4 days standing still? You just can’t say: ok, I‘m going to fly right now because your batteries will be only at 60 to 80% max and it will take at least 4 hours to recharge them all. What is your secret?

Got my MA2 Fly More Combo 3 weeks ago. For those of you, experienced pilots with lots of drones and batteries to go with them, how do you manage your batteries knowing they discharge automatically and that it takes about 1 to 1.5 hour to recharge a battery after 3-4 days standing still? You just can’t say: ok, I‘m going to fly right now because your batteries will be only at 60 to 80% max and it will take at least 4 hours to recharge them all. What is your secret?
They don’t fully discharge automatically, they discharge down to about 50-60%. Therefore, it doesn’t take that long to fully charge them after they self-discharge. Couple hours or so for three.

There are two “secrets” for charging them up as quickly as possible when something comes up unexpectedly. The car charger will actually charge them much faster than the standard charger. You can pop one on the car charger on the way and continue to charge the others while flying.

The other secret is to get a second wall charger. Decreases charge time by 50%. You can alternatively buy 3rd party chargers that charge all batteries simultaneously but you have to look closely at the specs because most of the time a multi charger will charge each battery slower than the stock charger. Still faster to charge all of them than one stock charger but not as fast as two stock chargers and your time to start flying is increased hence why buying a second charger is the secret.

Reactions: Snow-man
I either charge them overnight or early in the morning when I plan to go flying that day.

They don’t fully discharge automatically, they discharge down to about 50-60%. Therefore, it doesn’t take that long to fully charge them after they self-discharge. Couple hours or so for three.

There are two “secrets” for charging them up as quickly as possible when something comes up unexpectedly. The car charger will actually charge them much faster than the standard charger. You can pop one on the car charger on the way and continue to charge the others while flying.

The other secret is to get a second wall charger. Decreases charge time by 50%. You can alternatively buy 3rd party chargers that charge all batteries simultaneously but you have to look closely at the specs because most of the time a multi charger will charge each battery slower than the stock charger. Still faster to charge all of them than one stock charger but not as fast as two stock chargers and your time to start flying is increased hence why buying a second charger is the secret.
Took me 2.5 hours to recharge all three, two were at 60% and one at 90%. But I found the idea to buy a second charger and a car charger really interesting. Thanks,

I either charge them overnight or early in the morning when I plan to go flying that day.
You know, the idea of charging LiPo batteries overnight is a good idea except that I might not sleep very well knowing the risk of fire these batteries represents. No, I prefer the idea of buying more chargers instead. This way, I might sleep a lot better.

Reactions: kanjigirl
Anybody ever used the multi charger that comes with the fly more combo? I know it only charge batteries one by one and that a brand new battery must not be charged for the first time on that thing. Now, how good is it?

Is there any way to Change settings for the automatic standby discharge? You know, 4 days instead of 3 or 2 days full charge before entering into discharge mode? Just asking anyway because those things are usually fixed and no changes are usually possible but, hey, who knows? Probably someone listened to what the customer have to say and offered us some flexibility? God is always good for the believer.

You know, the idea of charging LiPo batteries overnight is a good idea except that I might not sleep very well knowing the risk of fire these batteries represents. No, I prefer the idea of buying more chargers instead. This way, I might sleep a lot better.

You can stick the batteries in a fire resistant battery bag while they charge. I do that with my helicopter 4S batteries if I’m away from the charger.

You can stick the batteries in a fire resistant battery bag while they charge. I do that with my helicopter 4S batteries if I’m away from the charger.

Doesn't that hold the heat in, not allowing cooling air to pass by the batteries as they charge?

And wouldn't the bag need to be sealed to be fireproof?
So how does the cord go into the bag, if sealed?

Reactions: MontcoMM
There should be negligible heat while charging a LiPo battery.

If the battery gets too hot it is usually a sign of damage.

The bags have a heavy duty Velcro strip for closure. The battery goes in with the connector and the cord extends out the bag. Been using one for 4S and 6S batteries for almost twenty years with no issues.

All my helicopter buddies use them for charging and transport.

Here’s a typical write up you’ll find on the subjest.

Interesting.
I've never considered one myself.
Also never seen a battery catch on fire.

In my experience, all batteries generate heat while being charged. So I like them to be ventilated while charging. If I drop a room temp drone battery in the charger, when its done, and I remove it, its warm. So I just prefer them to be able to cool, not locked in a thermal bag.

Not a pretty site. A swelling battery is real candidate for disaster.?
Never had one swell up either.
Charge in a cool place, not in direct sunlight, nor beside a heater, or in a container, and you should be fine.
I also don't charge immediately after use, they come out of the drone warm after flying, so i let them cool off, then charge, so its not adding charging heat, into an already warm battery from use.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Is there any way to Change settings for the automatic standby discharge? You know, 4 days instead of 3 or 2 days full charge before entering into discharge mode? Just asking anyway because those things are usually fixed and no changes are usually possible but, hey, who knows? Probably someone listened to what the customer have to say and offered us some flexibility? God is always good for the believer.
You can’t change the discharge settings, they are fixed as follows:

After 24hr = discharge to 96%
After 5 days= discharge to 60%

Reactions: Snow-man
You can’t change the discharge settings, they are fixed as follows:

After 24hr = discharge to 96%
After 5 days= discharge to 60%
The 24 hour discharge is the gotcha. In order to top off to 100%, while already discharged to 96%, you must first bleed each battery down to 95%, because the charger will not top off a 96% charged battery! ?
Apparently, that's what the battery to USB converter in the Combo kit is included for!
Plug your phone or tablet into it, while bleeding each 96% battery down to 95% or lower before putting on the hub charger. Only then will you will truly have 100% on all 3 batteries, if they have been sitting for 1-4 days since charging!

Anybody ever used the multi charger that comes with the fly more combo? I know it only charge batteries one by one and that a brand new battery must not be charged for the first time on that thing. Now, how good is it?

Hi, I use the multi charger all the time. Never had a problem , just switch on power and forget about it for a while.

Cheers graham.

yes, and it's fine. I don't see the need to buy anything else.

To be honest if you are worried about starting a fire overnight, I would not consider a car charger

Can you please calculate the results with 3 stock charger's or is that the real secret? Asking for a friend.

A surprising thing to me, is how little some of you fly, that your batteries are draining down while sitting. Just fly more regularly, and no more issue. It is a slow week if I only fly through my three batteries, being charged up four times each. That is a mere twelve flights in an entire week, which isn't much.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piason