DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Managing multiple batteries

Xtreme Drone Pilot

Reactions
How do you rotate your batteries in use? Do you just use them in random order and always charge them the same, or you have some strategy?

I have 3 batteries from the Fly More combo, and initially I was just using them in random order and always topped all of them off to 100%. After giving it some thought, I decided to stagger them so that eventually I don't find myself in a situation when all 3 batteries are worn out and have a fraction of their initial capacity and each is good only for a short flight. So, I color coded them:

Mavic Batteries Color Coded.jpg

and started using the Orange most often, Yellow less often, and Green least often. Also, after flying session, Orange is always topped off at 100%; Yellow only to 75%; and Green only to 50%. This ways Orange will wear out first, and I will replace it with new, which will be labeled Green; Yellow will become new Orange, and old Green will become new Yellow. Rinse, repeat. If I anticipate a lot of flying, Orange is ready for immediate flight, at the same time Yellow can be charged from 75% to 100, Green from 50 to 100.

Just wanted to share this simple strategy and am curious how other pilots manage multiple batteries for optimum longevity.

Good in theory but not in practice. First theses batteries like to be keept at close to 70 to 75% for storage, storage means if you arnt going to use for a month or more.
Next they dont mind being toped up and are better fully charged than left flat.
They have a dedicated circuit board built into battery that will auto discharge battery to storge capacity after 10 days or less if set to less in DJI go4 apo regardless.
Finally they and all lithium ion polymer batteries have a certain charge cycle live capacity regardless (thats a full charge from full capacity to full discharge then recharge) so two half charges is counted as one full charge.
Its regarded as around about 1000 charge cycles.
So if you cycle your 3 batteries one after the other its better for your the batteries as they are been cycled and used and not sitting in storage state still deterating.
The time difference is still the same except you are using no 1 batteries cycles up faster than nos 2 and 3 instead of spreading them out.

I numbered them, 1 through 3. Not only does it make it easy to identify them from one another, but if #2 is in the MP, I know the next one to go in is 3. Likewise, if 1 is in the charger, I know the next to get charged is 2. I try to remain consistent in how/when I remove the battery from the MP. I leave the next 'to be flown' battery IN the MP. If it's self-discharged by the time I get to it, all of them have done so. That means they all need to be topped up - and I start with the one in the MP.

So far that's worked well, since after a year, the charge cycles on all the batteries are no more than 2 apart from one another.

its better for your the batteries as they are been cycled and used and not sitting in storage state still deterating

I fly at least 2-3 times a week, and all 3 batteries get cycled, just not evenly, but staggered, so they don't become old at the same time. It would suck to have all 3 able to fly only 5 minutes and buy 3 new batteries all at once; with my approach, they are replaced one by one. And the idea of having one battery (in the Mavic) at 100% is in case of a #OMGOMGOMGmustfilmthisnow# event.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom