DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manned Aircraft Pilot Poll

Chaosrider

Reactions
With all the talk about avoiding collisions with manned aircraft around BVLOS, it would be interesting to hear what the manned aircraft pilots in this group think about that. So, if you're a manned aircraft pilot, please answer the following questions:

1) The year you got your license
2) Your total flight hours
3) Your concern about collision with drones, on a 0 -5 scale, 0 meaning not worried at all, and 5 meaning the possibility scares you out of the air.

I'll start:

What say the rest of you?

Thx,

TCS

I compare the risk from a small drone to the risk of a bird strike, except that it is greatest near airports in urban or dense suburban areas. I trust that pilots of larger drones are more competent and have a larger stake in protecting their own investment.

I'm not pre-occupied with the thought of it, won't know it 'till it happens, and the chances of it happening are growing, especially with pilots purposefully breaking the rules of where they can fly, or just not bothering to find out.

0.5Drone 1.5 Bird
Exactly my point!

I've had a lot of close encounters with birds that I would have preferred to avoid, although no actual strikes.

Wait! I know! We should require birds to have remote ID!

;-)

TCS

When it's your tailfeathers (or those of the ones you love) riding INSIDE the aircraft it matters a lot! Birds are VERY good at maneuvering (not always but usually) out of the way where-as UAS operators flying BVLOS may not even know we are both in the same operating area.

When it's your tailfeathers (or those of the ones you love) riding INSIDE the aircraft it matters a lot! Birds are VERY good at maneuvering (not always but usually) out of the way where-as UAS operators flying BVLOS may not even know we are both in the same operating area.
Possible, yes, but only trivially likely.

In my view of The Way Things Ought To Be, the government has no business, at all, restricting people's freedom unless they can show a non-trivial risk to others.

Not a possible risk. A non-trivial risk. A probability.

Still, your response does move the average risk perception just a wee bit more above zero, compared to before you posted this.

And, statistically, the manned pilots we have on this list still really don't worry about this issue.

Thx,

TCS

With all the talk about avoiding collisions with manned aircraft around BVLOS, it would be interesting to hear what the manned aircraft pilots in this group think about that. So, if you're a manned aircraft pilot, please answer the following questions:

1) The year you got your license
2) Your total flight hours
3) Your concern about collision with drones, on a 0 -5 scale, 0 meaning not worried at all, and 5 meaning the possibility scares you out of the air.

I'll start:

What say the rest of you?

Thx,

TCS

I live in a nfz so only on hollydays i let my bird fly.
But im verry secure about sircumstances
Never bvlos

In my view of The Way Things Ought To Be, the government has no business, at all, restricting people's freedom unless they can show a non-trivial risk to others.

Still, your response does move the average risk perception just a wee bit more above zero, compared to before you posted this.

And, statistically, the manned pilots we have on this list still really don't worry about this issue.

Thx,

TCS

Thx,

TCS
6,000+

There are already people flying when and where they shouldn’t. In my opinion, removing that BVLOS leash will only exacerbate that situation. There are plenty of threats to manned aviation, no need to add another.

0.0 away from airports
2.0 near airports
A sensible distinction, and perhaps, pointing to an area of my ignorance.

Is there frequently a lot of drone activity near airports? That strikes me as odd. Perhaps that's a population density driven issue. My primary airport for manned aircraft is Minden, Nevada. An occasional alternate is Carson City, Nevada. I wouldn't worry about a drone strike at either of those two, although I'm always alert for birds at both.

Do people here do a lot of their droning near airports?

Thx,

TCS

• Haha
Reactions: Droniac
6,000+

There are already people flying when and where they shouldn’t. In my opinion, removing that BVLOS leash will only exacerbate that situation. There are plenty of threats to manned aviation, no need to add another.
But threats (risks) aren't binary. It's not like a risk exists or it doesn't, with all risks being the same. Risks inherently have magnitude, and that magnitude is the essential number for deciding how to respond to the risks.

Thx,

TCS

Not saying that, as Trippp said above "I am not pre-occupied with it"....I think it like so many things in society today that most are sensible drone pilots but NOT all (you have to admit) which is why the 3. It is the "NOT all" that should be a concern to all. When negative behavior is mentioned on this forum members say things like "Boy they make it all tougher for the rest of us! and ...What were they thinking?" I like that attitude and I understand that we are not the drone police. Manned pilots and drone pilots have the obligation to educate their fellow pilots.

BVLOS is a different topic that I will not dive down the hole on. Suffice to say as a long time manned pilot I would like the drone pilot to be fully aware of their environment. Sorry not a big BVLOS fan and it is my professional opinion. NOT going to get into a discussion about it however.

My 3 is not fully a 3 in most cases a 0 to 1 but I did not want to state I have no concern. If we all play by the rules then we drone pilots will not get much media attention. I do not want excess government intervention and the FAA is NOT perfect. There are some rules that just make sense.

Reactions: Torque and Ty Pilot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin