DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manned Aircraft Pilot Poll

4,900+

Birds for the most part keep a look out when they fly and try to avoid hitting anything in the air, coming at them. A drone doesn't see or avoid anything, only the person flying it. Those who fly somewhat recklessly are the ones that I worry about, not a competent Part 107 flyer, who I'm sure is keeping a good look out.

I've had several bird encounters (along with a few helium balloons) over the years and some have been really close, but the bird always managed to get out of the way. I would not want to have a single drone encounter.

Reactions: Ty Pilot

I worry more about bird strikes or balloon strikes

With all the talk about avoiding collisions with manned aircraft around BVLOS, it would be interesting to hear what the manned aircraft pilots in this group think about that. So, if you're a manned aircraft pilot, please answer the following questions:

1) The year you got your license
2) Your total flight hours
3) Your concern about collision with drones, on a 0 -5 scale, 0 meaning not worried at all, and 5 meaning the possibility scares you out of the air.

I'll start:

What say the rest of you?

Thx,

TCS

A sensible distinction, and perhaps, pointing to an area of my ignorance.

Is there frequently a lot of drone activity near airports? That strikes me as odd. Perhaps that's a population density driven issue. My primary airport for manned aircraft is Minden, Nevada. An occasional alternate is Carson City, Nevada. I wouldn't worry about a drone strike at either of those two, although I'm always alert for birds at both.

Do people here do a lot of their droning near airports?

Thx,

TCS
I think the reason for the heightened risk near airports is the altitude that a manned AC flies is lower. Once a plane climbs to 1000 ft etc. there shouldn't be any drone activity at all. I think the greater risk involves helicopters, which fly much lower in and around populated areas.

Reactions: Torque
I think the reason for the heightened risk near airports is the altitude that a manned AC flies is lower. Once a plane climbs to 1000 ft etc. there shouldn't be any drone activity at all. I think the greater risk involves helicopters, which fly much lower in and around populated areas.
Perhaps. I have no objection to greater restrictions in high population density areas.

Thx,

TCS

The data is starting to become pretty clear.

On this forum, the actual manned pilots here feel no significant need for protection against the Demonic Killer Drones. Statistically, of course.

I find this result unsurprising.

Thanks to everyone for being part of the survey!

Merry Christmas, and Happy Droning!

:)

TCS

It can be challenging to find full size traffic at certain distances and angles. When it's below the horizon in the ground clutter it's **** near impossible. It's easier to see wires than it is drones which is really saying something. And this is coming from someone who only got my cert to fly drones under Section 333. The overall safety record has been pretty good thus far but I don't think that will last.

1964. Too many to count, I quite logging when I stopped flying professionally. But I was involved in a goose strike with 3 geese as I was approaching my downwind to an airport. I hit the geese from behind, one on each wing, and the other on my prop boss. the last one was the most troublesome as it was sucked into the engine compartment breaking a fuel line and causing a fire. I quickly shut the fuel off to that engine, but a primer line had been broken also, so the fire kept burning, I called the tower to tell them I was coming in hot and to clear traffic from the area. They asked what the problem was, and I told them if they would look behind them, I was that torch in the sky. Needless to say, they cleared traffic and I was able to land to a greeting of Fire Trucks with all the trimmings. Moral of the story, that if drone flyer's aren't careful, it could just as well have been a drone instead of geese that I or someone else hits. A drone is a pretty small target to see when you are approaching an airport at speed and have your attention on making the approach to landing. A drone pilot can see an airplane better than you can see a drone from an airplane.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
0- retired long before drones.
Biggest collision fear was other planes, then birds.
Son owns planes and drones, is wary of drones when flying in mountains. Inexperienced not following laws. Saw 1 @1200ft AGL above him! Scary stuff. He's looking forward to remote ID so his rentals can avoid them too.

0 since I don't fly anymore. I did have a bird strike once and it was a scary experience, so if I was still flying, I would think more like a 3.

I would be more concerned if a drone hit my tail rotor as opposed to the main rotor. Although I have seen photos of a drone piercing the windscreen. But that would not compromise aircraft control, it would just really piss me off.

With all the talk about avoiding collisions with manned aircraft around BVLOS, it would be interesting to hear what the manned aircraft pilots in this group think about that. So, if you're a manned aircraft pilot, please answer the following questions:

3) Your concern about collision with drones, on a 0 -5 scale, 0 meaning not worried at all, and 5 meaning the possibility scares you out of the air.

I'll start:

Thx,

TCS

No longer fly.

I'll start:

Thx,

TCS
1300 Civilian
3500 Military
Zero. My concern is flocks of birds on T/O or Landing. If someone is flying around an airport and I have a midair with a drone...I will find you!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Papa Beach

Not saying that, as Trippp said above "I am not pre-occupied with it"....I think it like so many things in society today that most are sensible drone pilots but NOT all (you have to admit) which is why the 3. It is the "NOT all" that should be a concern to all. When negative behavior is mentioned on this forum members say things like "Boy they make it all tougher for the rest of us! and ...What were they thinking?" I like that attitude and I understand that we are not the drone police. Manned pilots and drone pilots have the obligation to educate their fellow pilots.

BVLOS is a different topic that I will not dive down the hole on. Suffice to say as a long time manned pilot I would like the drone pilot to be fully aware of their environment. Sorry not a big BVLOS fan and it is my professional opinion. NOT going to get into a discussion about it however.

My 3 is not fully a 3 in most cases a 0 to 1 but I did not want to state I have no concern. If we all play by the rules then we drone pilots will not get much media attention. I do not want excess government intervention and the FAA is NOT perfect. There are some rules that just make sense.

drones: 0
Birds: 2
Wires: 3

If You’re flying below 400” wires and towers should be what scares you. I avoid flights that low.

Fly safe, always 👍

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_