DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manned Aircraft Pilot Poll

I fly air tours on the strictly regulated commercial tour routes over Grand Canyon National Park. In the last three years, there have been at least two reports from tour aircraft of drones that were a direct hazard to the aircraft- one on the edge of the airport's class D airspace at 8000 MSL (1500 AGL), and the other at the entry point to one of the tour routes at 8000 MSL (1000 AGL). In both cases, the tour aircraft were flying at the altitudes mandated by the Grand Canyon Special Flight Rules Area- and so were the drones, in violation of several FAR's as well as the SFRA.

There have probably been more drone encounters in the GCN airspace that I'm not aware of- those just occurred when I was flying.

Reactions: Torque
With all the talk about avoiding collisions with manned aircraft around BVLOS, it would be interesting to hear what the manned aircraft pilots in this group think about that. So, if you're a manned aircraft pilot, please answer the following questions:

1) The year you got your license
2) Your total flight hours
3) Your concern about collision with drones, on a 0 -5 scale, 0 meaning not worried at all, and 5 meaning the possibility scares you out of the air.

I'll start:

What say the rest of you?

Thx,

TCS

With all the talk about avoiding collisions with manned aircraft around BVLOS, it would be interesting to hear what the manned aircraft pilots in this group think about that. So, if you're a manned aircraft pilot, please answer the following questions:

3) Your concern about collision with drones, on a 0 -5 scale, 0 meaning not worried at all, and 5 meaning the possibility scares you out of the air.

I'll start:

Thx,

TCS
Newguy: 1961 35,000, 0

Reactions: JDubyaM

I'll start:

Thx,

TCS

I’d love to hear why there is “0.0” concern about colliding with drones. If I were a manned aircraft pilot, I would certainly be at least a little concerned about rogue or uneducated drone pilots breaking the 400 ft AGL rule or flying in controlled airspace without authorization. I live in Central Florida, and there is a lot of general aviation in the area. Smaller manned aircraft very frequently fly over my house at about 1,000 ft. And I have an acquaintance in the area who was recently gifted a drone, and, before I educated him on the rules, he was breaking most of them (flying well above 400 ft, over moving vehicles, not even being aware of controlled airspace and what it means, etc.). Luckily he was willing to learn the rules and abide by them and he got his TRUST certificate, but it just seems to me that the probability that there are a lot more drone operators out there just like him that pose a threat to manned aircraft would give me at least a 1 on the concern scale. But, that’s just me. Like I said, I would love to hear why others apparently have no concern at all.

1975 +/-
100+/- Not enough hours, could always learn more.
Stopped flying after marriage and never got back into it. Eventually went sailing instead.

When I was flying, other planes were my main fear. Followed by birds. But birds were generally a low altitude fear when arriving and departing airports. That thing: "Flying is hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror." Saw geese, one close call with an eagle or hawk at altitude, and a few soaring birds that weren't close enough to be problems. Many near misses with gulls on takeoff. Not sure why takeoff was always the more common case.

I think some of the conclusions chaos makes are by twisting facts. Just because people here aren't fearful of drones doesn't mean they aren't a problem. There is enough data on near misses to warrant regulation.

In the US, and probably elsewhere, what the authorities are missing is that every new drone sold needs a quick start sheet that explains local regulations and where to find resources for detailed rules. None of the drones I own had anything that even hinted I needed to pass a Trust test before flying. A sentence about check locally didn't even raise an eyebrow - I took that as don't fly where a sign was posted. I'd guess 90% of flyers out there have no clue they are flying in restricted airspace.

The flip side is that it's pretty silly now - some jurisdictions now have rules that prevent kids from flying balsa gliders in parks; and if followed to the letter, even kites are illegal in some places.

I compare the risk from a small drone to the risk of a bird strike, except that it is greatest near airports in urban or dense suburban areas. I trust that pilots of larger drones are more competent and have a larger stake in protecting their own investment.

Last edited:
Reactions: @Rip

I'll start:

Thx,

TCS
1. 1967
2. 18,085
3. 0

Reactions: @Rip
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online