DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manned aircraft pilots and radio engineers HELP!

dfb

Reactions
Questions first or they get lost near the bottom. This is about the upcoming UAS location information sharing from the FAA.

What would be a reasonable range of radio transmission for UAS to other aircraft?

How much would such a device weigh?

Excerpt from FAA overview: Remote identification (or Remote ID) is the ability of an unmanned aircraft in flight to provide certain identification and location information that people on the ground and other airspace users can receive.

In a rural or uninhabited area where no wireless telephone service exists there is no internet.

That leaves radio transmission. Tier 2 flying, if I understood correctly ( I'll spend weeks reading this last release).

I never fly with internet connected to my Mavic, I use a Crystal Sky. Just can't see a phone without a towel over my head. No VLOS with anything then!

Given that ADSB is prohibited for UAS use, what kind of receivers will manned aircraft have to use the location transmission? Do they have it now?

Flying in a designated area holds no interest for me. If my Mavic had no camera, I would never use it.

The first year of flying the Mavic was fun and exciting. That's after decades trying to fly RC helicopters or cheap drones. They never last long (a week or two), but I kept buying more over the years. Too hard.

Just having the Mavic hover in place for several minutes would make me wet my pants, but that thrill is gone. I just take pictures. No other reason to fly.

Reactions: jimlips and Paulf10
Questions first or they get lost near the bottom. This is about the upcoming UAS location information sharing from the FAA.

What would be a reasonable range of radio transmission for UAS to other aircraft?

How much would such a device weigh?

Excerpt from FAA overview: Remote identification (or Remote ID) is the ability of an unmanned aircraft in flight to provide certain identification and location information that people on the ground and other airspace users can receive.

In a rural or uninhabited area where no wireless telephone service exists there is no internet.

That leaves radio transmission. Tier 2 flying, if I understood correctly ( I'll spend weeks reading this last release).

I never fly with internet connected to my Mavic, I use a Crystal Sky. Just can't see a phone without a towel over my head. No VLOS with anything then!

Given that ADSB is prohibited for UAS use, what kind of receivers will manned aircraft have to use the location transmission? Do they have it now?

Flying in a designated area holds no interest for me. If my Mavic had no camera, I would never use it.

The first year of flying the Mavic was fun and exciting. That's after decades trying to fly RC helicopters or cheap drones. They never last long (a week or two), but I kept buying more over the years. Too hard.

Just having the Mavic hover in place for several minutes would make me wet my pants, but that thrill is gone. I just take pictures. No other reason to fly.

You ask a lot of questions that may not have an answer yet. Most of this is what the FAA would like to do. I suspect it may be easier to implement in airspace above Class G (controlled airspace, near airports, etc) where Cell/Internet service was be easier to get. Out in the country the FAA may not be concerned as much. My assumption, and anybody's response is an assumption, is that the FAA is trying to make one system regardless of airspace. I suspect it may take years. I don't believe the FAA will outlaw all the current RC systems out there, but there may be a cutoff date years in the future.

You have one question that many have asked. It is unknown if ADSB systems will pickup on drone identification systems in the future, or the broadcasted information will be for Air Traffic Control use only. It may be years before we have that answer.

As for RC's not lasting long, I have been flying RC Helicopters for 34 year. My current helicopter is 10+ years old with only 1 minor crash. I expect this Helicopter to last several years more. I also have several smaller RC helicopters that still fly more than 4 years. I find that RC Airplanes don't last as long with me. To be honest, the first few years of RC Helicopter flying (pre-gyros) my helicopters didn't last long before a repair and/or replacement. But, I stuck with it.

What would be a reasonable range of radio transmission for UAS to other aircraft? 1 Kilometer, per the article that Simmo quoted.

How much would such a device weigh? On a DJI drone, it uses the existing "Wifi equipment", so 0.

Given that ADSB is prohibited for UAS use, what kind of receivers will manned aircraft have to use the location transmission? Do they have it now? The article mentioned from Simmo says it will use an app and receive the signal direct from the drone on Wifi, no access point or cell tower necessary.

Using an online calculator, that would give an aircraft traveling 80 mph about 28 seconds before impact with the drone.

Reactions: dfb
Using an online calculator, that would give an aircraft traveling 80 mph about 28 seconds before impact with the drone.
Thanks! That's fairly specific. Was just wondering about general feasibility.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman