DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manual Camera Controls - Am I Missing Something?

Yep, I am, here are the images of where to configure and the camera settings. I think they consider the Exposure Value as the same as the Shutter Speed.
View attachment 45443 View attachment 45444
Works for me. I originally just ignored the EV adjustment option on the 5 way switch because the right wheel already adjusted the EV in Auto mode. Great find. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Titano
Yep, I am, here are the images of where to configure and the camera settings. I think they consider the Exposure Value as the same as the Shutter Speed.
View attachment 45443 View attachment 45444

I've also configured the controls like that, for me it works like this:

A-mode:
wheel – changes aperture primarily, shutter speed changes compensate for the opened/closed aperture
aperture-control on 5D – same as wheel
EV-control on 5D – dials in exp comp by changing shutter speed
That's for fixed ISO, for Auto ISO the ISO is also used as a variable for compensating for user choices if needed.

S-mode:
wheel – changes shutter speed primarily, aperture changes to compensate for the shorter/longer shutter speed
aperture control on 5D – doesn't do anything
EV-control on 5D – dials in exp comp by changing aperture
That's for fixed ISO, for Auto ISO the ISO is also used as a variable for compensating for user choices if needed.

M-mode:
wheel – changes aperture alone
aperture control on 5D – same as wheel
EV-control on 5D – doesn't do anything

So basically A&S work pretty much as expected (apart from it being annoying to have to use the 5D for exp comp and getting the loud beeps as a "bonus"), but for M-mode the controls are useless as you need to use the menus to have full control over exposure.

So basically A&S work pretty much as expected (apart from it being annoying to have to use the 5D for exp comp and getting the loud beeps as a "bonus"), but for M-mode the controls are useless as you need to use the menus to have full control over exposure.
Well good thing the user interface isn’t a hierarchical mess, designed for people with small fingers.

I've also configured the controls like that, for me it works like this:

M-mode:
wheel – changes aperture alone
aperture control on 5D – same as wheel
EV-control on 5D – doesn't do anything

...for M-mode the controls are useless as you need to use the menus to have full control over exposure.

Exactly, this is what I am seeing too.
I don't understand how others are seeing different behaviour, unless they are confused between aperture/shutter priority and manual.

In Manual Mode, full control of the ISO/F/SS, i can change shutter speed via 5D button (EV).

Unless DJI confused things, EV is a completely separate thing and not related to shutter speed... admittedly I haven’t confirmed but I will go do that and see what it does.

Ive just tested, 5D/EV does nothing in manual mode. Well it beeps but thats it.
So there doesn't appear to be a way of controlling shutter speed in manual.
Seems to take quite a while for changes in ISO and Aperture to actually register as well, a few seconds sometimes.

Reactions: Cslucas34
Unless DJI confused things, EV is a completely separate thing and not related to shutter speed... admittedly I haven’t confirmed but I will go do that and see what it does.

In Auto Mode it changes de EV value...but in Manual, in my case, it changes the shutter speed.

Does nothing except beep in manual mode for me. Just tried it over 3 full flights. Even changed mapping from left/right to up/down to check.

In Auto Mode it changes de EV value...but in Manual, in my case, it changes the shutter speed.

That is so weird that it’s different for different people.... I wonder if there is another setting somewhere that is making use shutter speed to control exposure.... it’s acting almost like you have aperture priority mode selected. EV bias SHOULD be completely separate...

I wouldnt mind if they did use EV as shutter speed in manual mode (as EV is irrelevant in that mode so shouldnt do anything) but certainly here its not doing anything. I can only change shutter by tapping through the menu.

Mine certainly doesnt do that. It beeps and shutter speed never changes (in manual mode).

Android (2 different devices).

It beeps when you press the button but nothing actually changes.

Maybe thats the issue im using IOS (iPhone 7), i will try it tomorrow with mine S8.

Reactions: Fplvert
Maybe thats the issue im using IOS (iPhone 7), i will try it tomorrow with mine S8.
It wouldn’t surprise me if there are differences between iOS and Android. I remember when we got the first Mavic Pros, Apple users could hear the voice while Androids didn’t until a firmware update.
I’ll be interested in your results!

I don't have a Mavic 2 yet to check and the manual is sparse on detail.
Here's all it says:
Controlling the Camera
Use the Aperture/Shutter Adjustment Dial to adjust the aperture and shutter parameters (Mavic 2 Pro only).
Use the Record button to start/stop recording.
Use the Focus/Shutter button to auto focus and take photos.
Use the Zoom Adjustment Dial to zoom in/out (Mavic 2 Zoom only)
The way it works on the Phantom is the thumbwheel is a click switch as well as a selector wheel.
Mavic controllers don’t have the click switch. I kind of miss that, but not packing a huge kit is worth more!:D

It wouldn’t surprise me if there are differences between iOS and Android. I remember when we got the first Mavic Pros, Apple users could hear the voice while Androids didn’t until a firmware update.
I’ll be interested in your results!

DJI has always neglected Android (and CS amazingly). For ages Find My Drone wouldnt beep on android but would on IOS. Currently you can set not to charge the phone on IOS but not android and so on.
Given the drone runs android and crystal sky does the software development is shocking.

Auto sync HD photos has been broken on Android since January in Go4.

Reactions: Fplvert
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter