DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manual Home Point setting

RokkoRokko

Reactions
I had an experience a while back, which my Mav 2 'Bud' survived, fortunately where I was flying and for some goofy reason I had controller connection issues [later found I needed a new RC cable]...
and, in mid flight, the home point suddenly reset to 'Bud's' current position - which obviously would result in a RTH fail

Fortunately I was able to navigate back manually & land.

I have found absolutely no 'setting home point' entry in the manual aside from a brief entry in RTH section.

I know , now, that I can set the home point to RC location so that's one option, but does that actually set a new home point via GPS at the RC's location when that method is activated
or does that method simply set the drone to 'home in' on the RC in real time rather than a stored GPS point.

A stored home point is always best for scenarios where RTH is activated when controller disconnects, as happens occasionally [its happened to me several times].

So I have a couple of questions re this.

1/ Any ideas why, during the flight I mentioned, the home point suddenly dropped out & reset to current location - what can cause this?

2/ So, in a situation where the recorded home point is lost,

A/ how can the recorded home point be restored or reset so the drone can RTH from the drones location even if controller is disconnected]

B/ Is it possible to reset a new home point using the map?

or does the setting RC location as home point physically set a new home point at that location that GPS can use?

Hope all that made sense

Cheers in advance

You have to look in the manual for the Go4. See post #9

Reactions: Thomas B
I had an experience a while back, which my Mav 2 'Bud' survived, fortunately where I was flying and for some goofy reason I had controller connection issues [later found I needed a new RC cable]...
and, in mid flight, the home point suddenly reset to 'Bud's' current position - which obviously would result in a RTH fail

Fortunately I was able to navigate back manually & land.

I have found absolutely no 'setting home point' entry in the manual aside from a brief entry in RTH section.

I know , now, that I can set the home point to RC location so that's one option, but does that actually set a new home point via GPS at the RC's location when that method is activated
or does that method simply set the drone to 'home in' on the RC in real time rather than a stored GPS point.

A stored home point is always best for scenarios where RTH is activated when controller disconnects, as happens occasionally [its happened to me several times].

So I have a couple of questions re this.

1/ Any ideas why, during the flight I mentioned, the home point suddenly dropped out & reset to current location - what can cause this?

2/ So, in a situation where the recorded home point is lost,

A/ how can the recorded home point be restored or reset so the drone can RTH from the drones location even if controller is disconnected]

B/ Is it possible to reset a new home point using the map?

or does the setting RC location as home point physically set a new home point at that location that GPS can use?

Hope all that made sense

Cheers in advance

1. Loss of good GPS signal can cause that. Once good GPS reception is re-established, that's becomes the new home point.
2a. You would have to establish the dynamic homepoint that the controller is the new home point. IF you have a full/fatal disconnect, you can try to reboot the app and hope you get connection re-established. What sux is that in your scenario, you need comms..
2b. You can only set homepoint from take off/GPS initialization, OR You can set dynamic home point (controller). The other really iffy thing, is if you lose GPS, and fly in "Atti", (without gacking into ground or a tree/building) Once the AC regains GPS lock, that is the new home.

1. Loss of good GPS signal can cause that. Once good GPS reception is re-established, that's becomes the new home point.
2a. You would have to establish the dynamic homepoint that the controller is the new home point. IF you have a full/fatal disconnect, you can try to reboot the app and hope you get connection re-established. What sux is that in your scenario, you need comms..
2b. You can only set homepoint from take off/GPS initialization, OR You can set dynamic home point (controller). The other really iffy thing, is if you lose GPS, and fly in "Atti", (without gacking into ground or a tree/building) Once the AC regains GPS lock, that is the new home.

1/ - Re GPS Loss - that's unfortunate - it should be default that the original home point is retained in AC memory for when the GPS is regained...
... as in the Home Point should NEVER auto clear until the AC has landed from the flight in which the Home point was initially set.

I mean whats the point of a new Home Point 60 meters in the air half a kilometer from takeoff point.

(Edited by moderator) happens, like a temporary GPS loss

DJI should have a firmware update that LOCKS IN the take-off point GPS coordinates as an auto RTH safeguard

2a - While the Home Point reset has occurred only once in 211 flights to date, I have had controller loss on a number of occasions and have always regained control by disconnecting & reconnecting the RC from the phone & app.

The home point loss was such an occasion and I, fortunately, was able to regain control & fly back to my takeoff point

2b - Atti skills would be good skills to have - but how can ya practise Atti - it is not a mode option with Mav 2 Pro

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose