DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mapping a multi-battery route with DJI Pilot and the Smart Controller

cory_foy

Reactions
Since I did a bunch of research and didn’t find anyone who had done this - I just successfully flew a multi-battery flight using a programmed route in DJI Pilot and the Smart Controller. Here’s the steps:

1) Fire up the DJI Pilot app and your drone and plug in your route. I wasn’t thrilled that moving it turned it into a polygon flight, but that’s fine. Also note - you need internet access for it to download the maps. I tethered it to my phone since I was in the field.

2) Start flying the route. In this case my route was about 85 minutes of flying.

3) Monitor the battery. I tended to wait until the 25% mark or so, but that depended on whether it was coming back or heading out.

4) Hit the pause button in the app. It should/may tell you it was successful.

5) I then clicked RTH on my controller and it came home. I shut off the drone, swapped the batteries, then turned it on

6) once the controller reconnects, the Play button will light up on the screen. It will confirm you want to resume from the waypoint, and then confirm the flight. It’ll then head off and pick up mapping again.

I ran through 4 batteries this way (about 1400 pictures total) and it worked like a charm. Not a bad idea to swap out memory cards when you swap batteries so if something happens you don’t lose all your work.

I know there’s several apps out there for this, but I wanted to explicitly use the Smart Controller and it seemed to work like a charm!

I was using a Mavic 2 Pro Enterprise Dual if anyone was wondering.

hello, have you tried or is it possible to continue the mission later (go home, recharge the batteries and resume another day)? thx

hello, have you tried or is it possible to continue the mission later (go home, recharge the batteries and resume another day)? thx

I don't think this will work.
Continuing a mission only works as long as no other mission is started or the controller is switched off.

• Sad
Reactions: sramic
Since I did a bunch of research and didn’t find anyone who had done this - I just successfully flew a multi-battery flight using a programmed route in DJI Pilot and the Smart Controller. Here’s the steps:

1) Fire up the DJI Pilot app and your drone and plug in your route. I wasn’t thrilled that moving it turned it into a polygon flight, but that’s fine. Also note - you need internet access for it to download the maps. I tethered it to my phone since I was in the field.

2) Start flying the route. In this case my route was about 85 minutes of flying.

3) Monitor the battery. I tended to wait until the 25% mark or so, but that depended on whether it was coming back or heading out.

4) Hit the pause button in the app. It should/may tell you it was successful.

5) I then clicked RTH on my controller and it came home. I shut off the drone, swapped the batteries, then turned it on

6) once the controller reconnects, the Play button will light up on the screen. It will confirm you want to resume from the waypoint, and then confirm the flight. It’ll then head off and pick up mapping again.

I ran through 4 batteries this way (about 1400 pictures total) and it worked like a charm. Not a bad idea to swap out memory cards when you swap batteries so if something happens you don’t lose all your work.

I know there’s several apps out there for this, but I wanted to explicitly use the Smart Controller and it seemed to work like a charm!

I was using a Mavic 2 Pro Enterprise Dual if anyone was wondering.

Hey Cory, I had a couple questions for you. Do you have to monitor the battery or will the Mavic know how much battery it needs and RTH on it own? If it does that RTH on its own does it cancel the mission or pause it?

Also if the the Mavic loses connection with the Smart Controller during a mission will it continue the mission and RTH when the batteries are getting low? And if it does that does it pause the mission so you can continue later.

I know you can do these thing in GS Pro but like you I want to be able to do all this with my SC.

Thanks for the input!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman