DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maps without Wi-Fi

JayTea26

Reactions
How can I use Google maps on my iPad without Wi-Fi?

If you cannot Hotspot or tether your phone to your iPad, try this…

I fly with two different Non-WiFi Android tablets. Since I know where I am going, I open the Fly App at home, where I have WiFi, and open the Maps and scroll around in order to lock them into the Queue, Now, you do need to know where you are going, the Maps that are Queued are not that large.

Here is a test, Pick an area away from your present location. Open the fly App, open the Maps and scroll over to that location. Pick an imaginary Home Point and zoom in, then slowly zoom out.

Now shut the app down, turn off the WiFi, and turn off the iPad. Now turn the iPad back on (WiFi should still be Off…), open the App, open maps and scroll around and check how good the resolution is as you scroll away from that Home Point. That will give yo an idea of how good the map will appear…

If you cannot Hotspot or tether your phone to your iPad, try this…

I fly with two different Non-WiFi Android tablets. Since I know where I am going, I open the Fly App at home, where I have WiFi, and open the Maps and scroll around in order to lock them into the Queue, Now, you do need to know where you are going, the Maps that are Queued are not that large.

Here is a test, Pick an area away from your present location. Open the fly App, open the Maps and scroll over to that location. Pick an imaginary Home Point and zoom in, then slowly zoom out.

Now shut the app down, turn off the WiFi, and turn off the iPad. Now turn the iPad back on (WiFi should still be Off…), open the App, open maps and scroll around and check how good the resolution is as you scroll away from that Home Point. That will give yo an idea of how good the map will appear…
You should open an online drone class. $15.00 per year is more than fair.

Reactions: LoudThunder
You can download Google Maps to be used offline. They'll expire after one year, or can be deleted anytime. Open Google Maps in iOS or Android and find the area you want to download. Tap your profile picture (you must have a Google account and be signed in to use. If you have Gmail, you have an account). Tap Offline maps > Select Your Own Map.

I agree with AlwaysAWOL, except that you don't need to be signed in to download an off line map, I found this out when I needed an offline map in a hurry recently. Of course you need to be online to download the map to your device, but once downloaded it will work when you are offline, a few features don't work offline, but you can still search for things like towns, restaurants, gas stations etc. If you need comprehensive instructions, check YouTube.
You can do the same with Apple Maps too.

You can download the map offline on the fly or Go4 app while you still have wifi at home, or you can download off line maps on google maps (you have to control the size/location on the map with two fingers) but this does not mean you will have the maps on the fly or go4 app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_