DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Marco Polo tracker placement

I Velcro mine to the right side just in front of the SD card access door, gives the best prop clearance and looks better, also can charge and turn on/off without removing. I tried the top, looks out of place and weird. Tried the arm, same thing plus its a bit large looking, tried the rear mounted vertically above the status light, works OK but the props are really close, also tried on the rear landing leg extension cross bar, and unless you mount it off center the antenna is in the prop swing. You could mount it with the antenna down but then it hits the ground and is bent when landing. I have 5 batteries and didn't want to have to remove and replace every time I changed the battery, so for me the side was best.
Doesn't this void the Care Refresh Warranty?

Attach it with Velcro. If you have to send it in just remove the Velcro strip, I will come off if needed. I mount mine in the rear above the light. Works great if you bend the antenna wire down and to the rear, staying away from the VPS sensor.

I would agree with John Locke just remove should you be unfortunate to have to return for repair.
I have my tracker on inside right leg with aerial pointing down towards the ground, never take it off..

DC436BC8-9A83-4067-9E90-0BD15E4A42AB.jpeg 5BCB7307-70B4-4599-A379-E098757638BA.jpeg 6C1BC7DA-1C3D-4032-AF08-6BD4A9B789F7.jpeg This works great for me. No issues and very cheap to make on your own. Easy to remove and put back on.

Attachments

• B3AA2776-35BF-436B-BDD1-0CEBA975D653.jpeg
    B3AA2776-35BF-436B-BDD1-0CEBA975D653.jpeg
    635.8 KB · Views: 41
Hello from Ireland,
I have the Marco Polo for nearly two years.
Forget this 3D stuff & getting all these measurements etc.,
Very simply velcro the tracker on the inside right leg of you MP/MPP with aerial pointing down, note it's a soft wire cable for aerial so if it's slightly bent due to landing that not a problem.
It folds properly, no need to remove ever, I charge it perhaps once every Month & it fits in DJI bag or the case designedfor MP/MPP.
One thought about drones & accessories keep everything very simple..!!

Cheers,

I was told that this would interfere with the Mavic’s GPS reception. I put mine on the battery directly.
That is why I moved the location to the front. I mount my Trackimo up there as well.20180702_174134.jpeg

Reactions: mr.bill
Here is how I mounted my Marco Polo tag. I have yet to try it out however.
The velcro is split between the battery and the Mavic as seen in these 2 pictures.
I have no idea if there will be any interference based on the mounting location. View attachment 39123 View attachment 39125
Your picture of MarcoPolo Ultralite appears that the device has been redesigned with a more convenient on/off button. The inventor, Tim, lives about 2mi from my house, I'll have to visit him soon and check it out.

Reactions: Fplvert
Your picture of MarcoPolo Ultralite appears that the device has been redesigned with a more convenient on/off button. The inventor, Tim, lives about 2mi from my house, I'll have to visit him soon and check it out.

I appear to have an ‘older’ Marco Polo tag...it doesn’t look like the one shown in the previous posts...mine has a coaxial charging port instead of micro USB, and on/off button is on the side of the unit, not the end (see post #11)...

Just a note for those of you with the old version...it will NOT fit in the 3D-printed holder shown in this thread...darn!

Last edited:
Just ordered one of these.
I received your order! Thanks! This will go out Thursday, We are on a little bit of a backlog right now with all 3 of our printers going.
I appear to have an ‘older’ Marco Polo tag...it doesn’t look like the one shown in the previous posts...mine has a coaxial charging port instead of micro USB, and on/off button is on the side of the unit, not the end (see post #11)...

Just a note for those of you with the old version...it will NOT fit in the 3D-printed holder shown in this thread...darn!
I have an old tracker laying around, I'll try to get something designed soon. I've been slammed over the last week with all the new Mavic 2 merchandise orders, so it may take me a bit. You are correct though, the current mount will only fit the Ultralight version.

Can you provide links to info and ordering of this Marco Polo device?

How does it work and how is it powered?

I received your order! Thanks! This will go out Thursday, We are on a little bit of a backlog right now with all 3 of our printers going.

I have an old tracker laying around, I'll try to get something designed soon. I've been slammed over the last week with all the new Mavic 2 merchandise orders, so it may take me a bit. You are correct though, the current mount will only fit the Ultralight version.

Thanks! I have a newer version of the lightweight tag on order from Eureka, so the mounts I bought from you for the Mavic and Inspire 1 won’t go to waste...

Let me know when you work up a 3D-printed solution for the old version and I’ll buy it for my two birds as well.

I’m always a sucker for your mounting solutions for strobes and trackers because they are well-designed and very durable (he said, quickly wiping the end of his nose lol).

Fly safe!

I read through most of this thread but haven't found where anyone found their lost drone that was equipped with a Marco Polo. There is absolutely no Cellular Service where I live so a Marco Polo was my saving grace! A year ago the day after I received a Marco Polo and charged it I sent my month old P4 off way past the range of the Marco Polo. After losing a faint signal back to my Remote I jumped in my truck with the receiver that wakes up the Marco Polo. I never read the receiver manual but just turned it on. I couldn't believe it but driving down the mountain gravel road in the basic direction that I last saw my P4 I started to receive a faint signal. I quickly found that the receiver was very intuitive and I abandoned my truck and started walking into heavily forested mountainous terrain with extremely high cliffs, deep ravines and 125' high trees following the arrow on the receiver from which the audible and visual signal was getting stronger. Many times I had to circumvent ravines and cliffs but eventually the receiver beeped and the arrow pointed 90° to my left. I walked about 20+ feet and there under a fallen tree trunk laying upside down barely visible was my P4. It had hit the top of a 125' Ponderosa Tree and on the way down had thrown the P4 Battery about 12' away. This is an area that I had never explored before that within a month or so would have been under up to 10' of snow. Now I have a Marco Polo permanently installed on my repaired P4 and my Inspire 1V2 and will install another on my new Mavic Pro.
That is an incredible report. I'm especially impressed with the fact that you were looking among, tall trees, ravines, etc. That's where the Marco Polo can bog down, but you were still able to get a signal. Great story and I know your a happy camper now. Marc.

View attachment 41830View attachment 41829View attachment 41828 This works great for me. No issues and very cheap to make on your own. Easy to remove and put back on.
This looks great. What I"m excited about is the fact that the unit sits away from the aircraft status indicator to give it some air and still be able to see some of the light color. Also, it's barely, but still off the ground and most important , the antennae is pointing vertically like the manual suggests...,,,,,,,,,, and you can take it on and off the airplane. Marc.

Has anyone tried the top front? I have not flown with it yet but I like this spot because I never have to take it on or off, even when the Mavic is in the hard case.
Hey, hey! I'm your boy, right here! I did mine this way and it flew just fine until I lost or misplaced the tag. I used Velcro, so I just can't believe it could have come off during flight, but if not then, I may have taken it off, but just forgot to pack it. I went back to the park about a week later, after I'd realized it was gone, but couldn't find it, even using the tracker. My thinking is, because of the rain we had, it might have drowned, because it wasn't the waterproof one, or the battery juice might have run out, or maybe someone just found it and took it home with them. At any rate, I'm gonna buy the waterproof one now, but probably mount it a different way so the antennae will lie vertically, since the antennae on the waterproof tag sets differently on the tag.

Reactions: Sailorick
I walked about 20+ feet and there under a fallen tree trunk laying upside down barely visible was my P4.

Great story with a happy ending. Haven't had to use my MP for a recovery yet, but it does provide a level of comfort knowing it's there should I need it.

One more quick reply. Maybe "small potatoes", but maybe you should consider putting a couple of lock washers behind the nuts, because of all the vibration of the quad.? Just a thought, but I love your setup. Thanks for the great pics. Marc.
He's using nylon lock nuts. It's good as is.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78