DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Marouba Beach, Sydney

NomadJack

Reactions
Very quick intro so I don't bore you, but I am from the UK originally, I'm a full time backpacker working and travelling round the world so I got a DJI mini 3 for it's small size to get some good shots. Read the forums a lot but don't post as I'm still pretty novice and learning.

Currently in Australia, just arrived in Sydney and staying in Marouba for a few days.

Took these at Marouba beach yesterday - flight was nothing special, up and down, but while I was flying the ranger was making a commotion behind me and shouting - I thought I was going to get in trouble for filming, turns out it was just a highly venomous snake called a *Red Belly and a missed it because I was looking up into the sky.

Anyway, enjoy the beauty of Aus' beaches, they're awesome! NZ next week.

Jack

*Red Belly Black Snake?

Attachments

• 2023-02-24 01.04.16.jpg
    2023-02-24 01.04.16.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 2023-02-24 01.00.09.jpg
    2023-02-24 01.00.09.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It might be wise to check the ground before you fly lol especially since you are from the UK and looking for critters it's not something we normally have to do. I often wonder if kids in places with dangerous snakes are raised to keep their eyes open for snakes and spiders.
&

I grew up in Sydney & miss the place. Now in the tropics & enjoy it here as well. Nice to be close to the water. I expect you would get some great photography around the Heads.

It might be wise to check the ground before you fly lol especially since you are from the UK and looking for critters it's not something we normally have to do. I often wonder if kids in places with dangerous snakes are raised to keep their eyes open for snakes and spiders.
&
Kids round here are definitely taught from an early age how to avoid being bitten and there’s plenty of warning signs everywhere. I’ve got used to looking under toilet seats as well now after seeing a snake in the first public toilet I used 😂

Kids round here are definitely taught from an early age how to avoid being bitten and there’s plenty of warning signs everywhere. I’ve got used to looking under toilet seats as well now after seeing a snake in the first public toilet I used 😂
Yikes. :eek:

I was told by a reptile handler if you are wearing jeans and boots you are very unlikely to be bitten, seems the fangs are not long enough to penetrate trousers, especially think denim.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I was told by a reptile handler if you are wearing jeans and boots you are very unlikely to be bitten, seems the fangs are not long enough to penetrate trousers, especially think denim.

That's correct, especially for our most venomous land snake the Eastern Brown, their fangs are only a couple of mm long.
I did snake catching for a few seasons about . . . oh, 2 decades ago !!
As a keen outdoors person, I was keen to get comfortable with the occasional encounter.
Had a local association that have top notch training, and it was certainly a great experience.
Still have the hooks and bags and have used them to catch and relocate a few since the early 2000's after hanging up the gear full time.

Reactions: MaverickAus
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your travels in Oz.
RBB’s aren’t terribly dangerous as far as our range of venomous snakes goes, but best to treat them all with the same respect unless you can be certain of their species and danger to humans.
That means a bite will hospitalise you but not likely kill you! 😉 Unless of course you’re nowhere near medical care.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your travels in Oz.
RBB’s aren’t terribly dangerous as far as our range of venomous snakes goes, but best to treat them all with the same respect unless you can be certain of their species and danger to humans.
That means a bite will hospitalise you but not likely kill you! 😉 Unless of course you’re nowhere near medical care.

Well yeah, about right.

I was bitten by a suspected RBB up in Sunset Nat Pk Qld maybe a couple of years ago.
Never saw it in undergrowth, but it was a very wet creek like setting, a very common RBB habitat.
Stanthorpe Hospital by mate in his 4WD, that took about an hour, then Warwick via ambulance, around 45 mins.
I was bandaged up correctly, and was never really worried, like my mate driving, I had to tell him numerous times no sweat mate, take it easy !! :p ;)
Just an overnight stay to be sure no complications, or in case it was another species.

No human has ever died from RBB snake bite, plenty from Eastern Browns and a few others.
The danger rating for our range of venomous snakes is complex, but one of the biggest factors for this is distribution and numbers of human encounters, the Eastern Brown has a high rating there and a really bad neurotoxic venom.

Anyway, the OP might glean something from this going a bit off topic, the least if going bush (or indeed metro !) it's good to know pressure immobilisation first aid for snake bite and a few other creatures . . .

Reactions: 4006448
Very quick intro so I don't bore you, but I am from the UK originally, I'm a full time backpacker working and travelling round the world so I got a DJI mini 3 for it's small size to get some good shots. Read the forums a lot but don't post as I'm still pretty novice and learning.

Currently in Australia, just arrived in Sydney and staying in Marouba for a few days.

Took these at Marouba beach yesterday - flight was nothing special, up and down, but while I was flying the ranger was making a commotion behind me and shouting - I thought I was going to get in trouble for filming, turns out it was just a highly venomous snake called a *Red Belly and a missed it because I was looking up into the sky.

Anyway, enjoy the beauty of Aus' beaches, they're awesome! NZ next week.

Jack

*Red Belly Black Snake?
Hi Jack,

I am from Copenhagen but live now in Sydney
I used to work in North Western Australia, and although I am pretty snake aware I was out photographing in the outback badlands aka in the middle of nowhere. It wasn’t till a bushfire ran through the area I could suddenly see how many snakes was around! They feel and see you a long time before you even know they are there!
You were luck 👍
Nice pics
Henrik

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143