DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mav 3 waypoints without hyperlapse

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
In order to use waypoints with a Mav3 or Mini 3 pro one must be using Hyperlapse, correct? There is no way to set a series of points and simply record waypoints and have it fly the path while video recording and controlling the gimble position is there? I don't do much in the way of hyperlapse and just updated my Mav 3 and realized I could not set waypoints for a flight where I was actually filming. Am I missing something?

In order to use waypoints with a Mav3 or Mini 3 pro one must be using Hyperlapse, correct? There is no way to set a series of points and simply record waypoints and have it fly the path while video recording and controlling the gimble position is there? I don't do much in the way of hyperlapse and just updated my Mav 3 and realized I could not set waypoints for a flight where I was actually filming. Am I missing something?
With the latest FW for Mavic 3 and the latest version of Fly App released on December 9th 2022, the waypoints are now independent of Hyperlapse. You can now do all of what you have described (and more) with this new feature. You can even plan the mission at home on RC Pro controller without the drone being turned on. Or you can record waypoints by flying the Mavic 3 to points where you will eventually want the mission to take the drone to, set various actions such as if you would want the drone to take photo or start recording video, you can set POI etc etc. It is a powerful feature with lots of options to plan and execute your waypoint mission.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Mavic 3 is now capable s using the full waypoints feature via the Fly app but not the Mini 3 Pro.
I wish I could set waypoints and then be able to move my camera view around while I'm flying the waypoints but it seems I'm locked into the view from each point set and in between there is no camera movement possible. I don't understand why that is a limitation. Better than nothing but not what I really want. The whole SDK thing is so frustrating. Thanks for your response.

Reactions: DougMcC
I wish I could set waypoints and then be able to move my camera view around while I'm flying the waypoints but it seems I'm locked into the view from each point set and in between there is no camera movement possible. I don't understand why that is a limitation. Better than nothing but not what I really want. The whole SDK thing is so frustrating. Thanks for your response.
If you set a POI in the waypoint mission and set the waypoint t view the POI then you have no manual camera control, what i do is set the waypoints and set Gimbal control to manual, this gives me the ability to control the camera.

Reactions: JoelP and GadgetGuy

If you set a POI in the waypoint mission and set the waypoint t view the POI then you have no manual camera control, what i do is set the waypoints and set Gimbal control to manual, this gives me the ability to control the camera.
thanks for that... I will try to find out how to set my Gimble to manual. I just updated because I didn't want Remote ID and am now trying to learn waypoints. If I can set waypoints AND be able to move the camera around and film I will be a happy camper but don't recall ever seeing a setting for Gimble manual control. Thanks.

Reactions: Suren
With my Mav 3 connected to my RC N1 (no screen) controller I see no Manual Gimble setting. If there is a way to fly a set of waypoints while being able to control the gimble and camera while flying from point to point I have not figured it out.

With my Mav 3 connected to my RC N1 (no screen) controller I see no Manual Gimble setting. If there is a way to fly a set of waypoints while being able to control the gimble and camera while flying from point to point I have not figured it out.

You can choose whether the gimbal, and the direction of the camera/drone, is programmed or manual, for each waypoint. By default they are programmed, so you'll have to switch them to manual. Look around in that waypoint editor :)

Admittedly, I haven't tried flying waypoints myself yet. But I'm guessing (hoping) this means you can use that left stick sideways, and the gimbal wheel, to your desire while the drone flies its path...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett