DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 + Boat?

supcarlos

Reactions
Hello everyone,

Who's got some experience flying a Mavic 2 from a boat? I'm thinking about trying it out this weekend, but i am concerned about the high wind speeds that will accompany the surrounding area while the boat is in motion.
Will the mavic be able to handle the wind speeds?

The maximum speed of the Mavic Gen2 is "44 mph", so that's about it, now you can fly downwind and get more ground/surface speed...

1. You just have to be aware of mag interference from hardware on the boat. Check compass(es) status and IMU status.
2. The homepoint will not change, but the boat's location will.
3. If you're flying maybe less than 5 feet above the water surface, might want to turn off ground sensors/precision landing?, water reflection, can fool them.
4. If you are trying to launch from a moving boat, or land on same, please video it.?

One more thing to watch out for...
When you turn on the aircraft and it starts up the IMU will have to deal with the rocking of the boat. I've had problems in the past if I let it sit for too long (like when I was changing up my camera settings) and GO4 asked me to recalibrate my IMU. I restarted the aircraft in my hand and launched from there with no problems. Now I start and launch that way if the water is rough

Stop the boat before takeoff and landing unless you want the drone to smash into the boat as its GPS tries to keep it at a fixed position.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I flew mine from a mates boat a couple of weeks ago, it really does not like taking off while the boat is moving! admittedly I was taking off from the front of the boat so the wind issue might not be an issue if you have space behind the cockpit etc. Landing was also quite fun/terrifying! Got some great footage tho!

I also had to do an IMU reboot which I could only achieve on dry land, this was following an unsuccessful take off with a headwind due to the boat still moving.

Its nothing to do with a wind. The drone uses GPS to hold itself stable the boat is moving so the instant its airbourne itl'l keep still while the boat moves around (or into) the drone.

There are tons of YT Videos on this . . . boat launches, night landings, etc.

Reactions: Flycaster
You have to find the one where a guy tries to fly in a moving boxtruck.....
And not the one with Ken Heron.

This was done about 2 years ago...

The maximum speed of the Mavic Gen2 is "44 mph", so that's about it, now you can fly downwind and get more ground/surface speed...

1. You just have to be aware of mag interference from hardware on the boat. Check compass(es) status and IMU status.
2. The homepoint will not change, but the boat's location will.
3. If you're flying maybe less than 5 feet above the water surface, might want to turn off ground sensors/precision landing?, water reflection, can fool them.
4. If you are trying to launch from a moving boat, or land on same, please video it.?
Now I was led to believe that the speed is determined by the GPS over ground and has nothing to do with speed of the wind or airspeed of the drone, in the same way it does with a manned aircraft. When I fly in my aircraft, I use airspeed and again it is the same up or down wind if I set my throttle to say 70knots, but that is then, not the same as my ground speed unless I am in still air. Ground speed is slower at a set airspeed when flying into wind and faster when flying down wind.

If the drone is governed by GPS ground speed, and I am sure it has no pitot tube fitted so does not take into account airspeed at all, then the drone will fly the same max speed into the wind or down wind, it will just use more or less power when doing so. However, there will be no benefit in the way of added airspeed or ground speed, when flying down wind.

Now I was led to believe that the speed is determined by the GPS over ground and has nothing to do with speed of the wind or airspeed of the drone, in the same way it does with a manned aircraft. When I fly in my aircraft, I use airspeed and again it is the same up or down wind if I set my throttle to say 70knots, but that is then, not the same as my ground speed unless I am in still air. Ground speed is slower at a set airspeed when flying into wind and faster when flying down wind.

If the drone is governed by GPS ground speed, and I am sure it has no pitot tube fitted so does not take into account airspeed at all, then the drone will fly the same max speed into the wind or down wind, it will just use more or less power when doing so. However, there will be no benefit in the way of added airspeed or ground speed, when flying down wind.
True until you try flying in wind that has a velocity of over 25mph at drone location. This begins to overpower the motors’ capability and it will have both al owner ground speed and a lower airspeed.

True until you try flying in wind that has a velocity of over 25mph at drone location. This begins to overpower the motors’ capability and it will have both al owner ground speed and a lower airspeed.
Well of course, that's rather obvious but I don't think anyone is speaking about absolute to the limit wind flying here. Therefore what I wrote still stands, regarding the statement from Flycaster.

Reactions: Thomas B
Well of course, that's rather obvious but I don't think anyone is speaking about absolute to the limit wind flying here. Therefore what I wrote still stands, regarding the statement from Flycaster.
My point was that the changes in drone velocity when flying against a wind are only noticeable when the motor’s reserve speed capacity is exceeded.

My point was that the changes in drone velocity when flying against a wind are only noticeable when the motor’s reserve speed capacity is exceeded.
Understood, however you are bringing into the conversation something that was not being discussed and has no relevance to what my posting was regarding, and that was that I posted to what was said here, which is incorrect:

"The maximum speed of the Mavic Gen2 is "44 mph", so that's about it, now you can fly downwind and get more ground/surface speed..."

The poster (Flycaster) who stated that you can get more speed by flying down wind, has made an incorrect statement and that is what I responded to. The poster (Flycaster) did not specify a specific wind speed, therefore how could you assume he was speaking of winds in excess of 25mph? I responded to what was written and if you take my words, then you must associate them to what they were in response to, and not to something you choose to post afterwards regarding a much higher wind speed. My comments were not pertaining to 25mph winds.

What you should have done is asked what might be the response speed of the drone up or down wind, when flying in a 25mph wind. Now my question to you is this. Have you flown your drone in 25mph winds and if so please tell us what your drone showed as its speed when you flew it down wind and up wind at for example the max. speed it would go with the right stick pushed all the way forward? Since you have no instrumentation to measure its IAS there is no way you could know what that was, during the flight, only the GPS measured ground speed of the drone would be displayed.

But please tell us what your testing showed for speed of the drone.

Was replying to the OP, not @Flycaster
Hello everyone,

Who's got some experience flying a Mavic 2 from a boat? I'm thinking about trying it out this weekend, but i am concerned about the high wind speeds that will accompany the surrounding area while the boat is in motion.
Will the mavic be able to handle the wind speeds?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stmavic