DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 cant fly straight ahead

Man, i dont know that i am so unlucky like that, i bought both of them with seperate propeller and controller and had the same problem! Do you mind show me short video about how straight you mavic are at 50metter high?

Hi guy! I got both mavic 2 pro and zoom but either one have problem!
The pro usually drift to one side
The zoom better but still cant flight straight, and i have to adjust the gimbal everytime i turn! You can see in the video!

I did imu and gimbal calibrate for both, The wind not bad too!
View attachment 112202 is the drifting normal for mavic 2? If not what should i do now? Thank you for you time!
haveyou adjustments do the yaw. ?

I have noticed the same issue with my M2P..

i usually do WayPoint missions and despite User Manual, YouTube, and forums such as this, have been unable to control this problem with yaw drift. It’s annoying and not at par with other DJI functionality. Even with out of the package props and all user-set calibrations, the failure continues. There is a Waypoint work-around but it involves adding extraneous Waypoint stops along with Route settings for the camera but to me, it shouldn’t be necessary.with this level of drone tech.

Good Luck and thanks for the question

i usually do WayPoint missions and despite User Manual, YouTube, and forums such as this, have been unable to control this problem with yaw drift. It’s annoying and not at par with other DJI functionality. Even with out of the package props and all user-set calibrations, the failure continues. There is a Waypoint work-around but it involves adding extraneous Waypoint stops along with Route settings for the camera but to me, it shouldn’t be necessary.with this level of drone tech.

Thank you for your comment sir, i thought i am only unlucky person on the world but now i know this is common problem, i guess we have to live with it

Today i tried to swap the camera, the problem still there and maybe i knew what wrong! I used “bubble level” app to check my table surface for IMU and this is result

Do you think this is what cause my drifting problem, is it need to be exactly level? To be honest, the table top is the flatest and levelest in my house

Attachments

• 2393F7FD-A4AB-4A89-8596-1F07C7A49FE7.png
    2393F7FD-A4AB-4A89-8596-1F07C7A49FE7.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 22

[QUOTE="lannes, post: 1093190, member: 3045ưh]
Calibrate the IMU ?
[/QUOTE]
What do you think?

Today i tried to swap the camera, the problem still there and maybe i knew what wrong! I used “bubble level” app to check my table surface for IMU and this is result

Do you think this is what cause my drifting problem, is it need to be exactly level? To be honest, the table top is the flatest and levelest in my house

No, that looks fine for the IMU calibration

I think this has to do with the onboard compass and the true magnetic north. See e.g. Magnetic Declination on Map for your location.
I remember I had this issue on my old NAZA drone: I physically rotated the GPS puck w/compass a couple of degrees for my location based on the above site, and the drone suddenly flew straight.

I don't know how the true north offset is calculated and compensated for in M2P. I'm assuming the DJI app & drone determine their gps location prior to crunching the numbers, then the calculation is performed (locally? on a dji server? internet connection needed? dji leaving us in the dark here...), and then the magnetic compensation is applied to the heading/course for a straight flight at that location. This is my logic :) maybe dji does it differently.

But one thing is for sure. Every location you fly has a magnetic offset (and possible local magnetic fluctuations), which affects the compass, and M2P should/must somehow compensate for it. And when it does not (for reasons unknown), your flight is not straight.

My M2P has the same issue, but only sometimes. Some of my flights are as straight as an arrow, yet others are not; it can be clearly seen in the video. And sometimes it happens during a straight flight for a minute or two... I, too, am stumped.

Reactions: Lordofwolf
I think this has to do with the onboard compass and the true magnetic north. See e.g. Magnetic Declination on Map for your location.
I remember I had this issue on my old NAZA drone: I physically rotated the GPS puck w/compass a couple of degrees for my location based on the above site, and the drone suddenly flew straight.

I don't know how the true north offset is calculated and compensated for in M2P. I'm assuming the DJI app & drone determine their gps location prior to crunching the numbers, then the calculation is performed (locally? on a dji server? internet connection needed? dji leaving us in the dark here...), and then the magnetic compensation is applied to the heading/course for a straight flight at that location. This is my logic :) maybe dji does it differently.

But one thing is for sure. Every location you fly has a magnetic offset (and possible local magnetic fluctuations), which affects the compass, and M2P should/must somehow compensate for it. And when it does not (for reasons unknown), your flight is not straight.

My M2P has the same issue, but only sometimes. Some of my flights are as straight as an arrow, yet others are not; it can be clearly seen in the video. And sometimes it happens during a straight flight for a minute or two... I, too, am stumped.
So you just live with it? This is such a great drone except this problem

If you are referring to the sideway drift of the cross hair at the center when the drone was moving forward, it's simply because the camera is not pointing straight ahead. It's well indicated in the mapbox of the screen capture you have posted. Pay attention to the orientation of the green beam ( the direction of the camera ) relative to the red arrow representing the craft :

1599277896869.png

This is my M2P. It's not too noticeable but the camera is very slightly pointing to the right.

1599277997174.png

Last edited:
If you are referring to the sideway drift of the cross hair at the center when the drone was moving forward, it's simply because the camera is not pointing straight ahead. It's well indicated in the mapbox of the screen capture you have posted. Pay attention to the orientation of the green beam ( the direction of the camera ) relative to the red arrow representing the craft :

View attachment 112390

This is my M2P. It's not too noticeable but the camera is very slightly pointing to the right.

View attachment 112391
So is there anyway to fix that or we have to live with that slightly off pointing camera? I calibrated the gimbal before fly

So is there anyway to fix that or we have to live with that slightly off pointing camera? I calibrated the gimbal before fly

If the problem is consistent you may need to send it back to DJI for repair. On my M2P, it just occurs occasionally. Making the camera point downward and then forward will reset the orientation

I think I came to the bottom of this.

1. correct IMU calibration for yaw: in the last IMU calibration position when the drone is pointing nose up, make sure it is resting on the motors and the body and NOT on the legs and the body. When you put it on the legs and the body, it leans either to the left or right (try it :)), and it is never perfectly upright.

2. gimbal yaw adjustment: place the drone on the floor (ideally with straight connecting lines between the floor panels), align it perfectly so that the line dissects the drone body along the longitudinal axis (rear dji logo and the nose) when viewed from the top, and perform yaw adjustment of the gimbal until you see the line on the floor perfectly dead center in the video feed. You can also check the perpendicularity of the camera by looking at it from the top and eyeballing it against the drone body. I ended up with a negative -2.0 gimbal yaw trim.

Last edited:
I have a slight nerve condition with my hands so that when im not looking, i cant tell if they are moving slightly or not. I can fly safely with no problem, it just creates a problem when i try to video. I could have same results as what you posted. start out flying straight and then drifting. Akso when climbing straight up, i often yaw more than intended.

unrelated to that, when you are flying in reverse, does it drift as well to the same or opposite side?

I’ve had the same problem with my M2P it was flying at a 45 degree angle from the intended direction of travel...it is something that occurs periodically...I alway recalibrate the compass in any new location that is a 100 miles or more from away from home location(drone software requests this)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuiceThe6One