DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Enterprise (DUAL) Released!

Hey guys, where does it says the thermal camera is 160 resolution? The Mavic2Dual quick start manual shows 640X480 resolution in the 4:3 mode for the thermal camera. Is it wrong?

1545618188358.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Dougcjohn
I fly a m210 with xt2 (640) at work. Other fire departments sometimes ask what is the minimum resolution flir they can get away with and this is my response:

640x512 is less than one third of a megapixel. Imagine the difficulty finding a missing kid with this sort of terrible resolution. Now imaging searching with only a half or quarter of that. It’s simply impractical in my opinion.

The 640 xt2 with 19mm lens can easily detect a human 1/4 mile away @200’ agl.

Last edited:
Hey guys, where does it says the thermal camera is 160 resolution? The Mavic2Dual quick start manual shows 640X480 resolution in the 4:3 mode for the thermal camera. Is it wrong?

View attachment 56671

Within the video introducing the Dual, the DJI Rep stated specs and indicated a 160 resolution limiting detection to under 100 ft. On the DJI Web site under the cameras specs it indicates a 160x120 Resolution with a image size of 640x480 which was also indicated in the Intro video as a manipulated image within the electronics to help increase the image size on screen and video... so basically enlarging the 160 to 640, but resolution remains 160.
Mavic 2 Enterprise- Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI

Last edited:
DJI has always said the Z and P gimbals were interchangeable, they just never sanctioned it as a DIY project.
True... wanted sent into DJI as an exchange/upgrade.,. but not to own both Z & P... they would send back with one.

But both are on open market... prices a bit inflated at moment, so you can have both & swap yourself... once prices settle down. It sounds like the M2E Dual may have little different board that may prevent Dual operating in other M2’s.

True... wanted sent into DJI as an exchange/upgrade.,. but not to own both Z & P... they would send back with one.

But both are on open market... prices a bit inflated at moment, so you can have both & swap yourself... once prices settle down. It sounds like the M2E Dual may have little different board that may prevent Dual operating in other M2’s.
This assumes there is no problem loading the appropriate firmware for the camera. Since DJI has clamped down on firmware loading, it will be key to see someone successful at this first before I'd try it.

This assumes there is no problem loading the appropriate firmware for the camera. Since DJI has clamped down on firmware loading, it will be key to see someone successful at this first before I'd try it.
On the P & Z or the Dual? The previous tests show the P & Z share the same FW and when connected the active circuity enables the correct SW variables. The P & Z are workable, the Dual is an unknown... I’m assuming negative.

On the DJI Web site under the cameras specs it indicates a 160x120 Resolution with a image size of 640x480
Do you have a link to this page? I don't see it. I only see the 640X480 in the quick start guide.

I’m on IPad so not sure how this screen capture will turn out...

View attachment 56694

Thanks, I should have seen that in the specs page. It's interesting they left out the actual resolution in the quick start guide specs. Pretty tricky. I was thinking it was too good to be true given the cost of true 640X512 thermal resolution. I guess this craft has it's place, given the cost, comparably to other higher end solutions.

Thanks, I should have seen that in the specs page. It's interesting they left out the actual resolution in the quick start guide specs. Pretty tricky. I was thinking it was too good to be true given the cost of true 640X512 thermal resolution. I guess this craft has it's place, given the cost, comparably to other higher end solutions.
A 320 resolution would have been great for a small package. The package @io390 is developing hits the mark much better and compatible with the standard M2.... IMO, when back to the swappable mentality... P, Z, IT320... great little setup in one small case.,

A 320 resolution would have been great for a small package. The package @io390 is developing hits the mark much better and compatible with the standard M2.... IMO, when back to the swappable mentality... P, Z, IT320... great little setup in one small case.,
Thanks for the support Doug.

Until we develop this further, our solution will require some mods to the actual drone, and whilst it would be possible to swap the gimbal out for a normal one it would not be recommended due to having to unplug some small, delicate connectors.

Hopefully there will be little need for this as we are using the original Zoom camera, which has more than sufficient quality for any surveying/public service use.

To be honest, I would discourage swapping the gimbals on any M2 on a regular basis. The connectors and cables are delicate and aren't actually designed to be manipulated multiple times. The flat-flex PCB cables and connectors are only meant for assembly during manufacture, and that's about it.

Anyway, more info is to follow before the new year.

Merry Christmas all :)

Reactions: ff22
Thanks for the support Doug.

Until we develop this further, our solution will require some mods to the actual drone, and whilst it would be possible to swap the gimbal out for a normal one it would not be recommended due to having to unplug some small, delicate connectors.

Hopefully there will be little need for this as we are using the original Zoom camera, which has more than sufficient quality for any surveying/public service use.

To be honest, I would discourage swapping the gimbals on any M2 on a regular basis. The connectors and cables are delicate and aren't actually designed to be manipulated multiple times. The flat-flex PCB cables and connectors are only meant for assembly during manufacture, and that's about it.

Anyway, more info is to follow before the new year.

Merry Christmas all :)
I'd fully agree, it's not meant to be swapped routinely, nor are the ribbon connectors designed with a connector meant to be used hundreds of times. Like other small delicate electronic connectors, if you don't aggressively tug or stress them on disconnects they will continue to connect normally for probably more times than the average number of swaps when you'd desire the 1" sensor. But on the upside, they'll probably release a new M3 in the not so distant future driving the price of M2 down and grabbing a used M2 might be a better route. ;) Still looking forward to seeing your completed model! Thumbswayup
Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to All!

Reactions: io390
It has potential. It’s too bad DJI didn’t at least use a 336 flir camera.

I am surprised the resolution is this good at 126’ agl. Considering it is an image of only 19,200 pixels, or 1/52 of a megapixel. It would be interesting to measure the field of view at this elevation.

FLIR recommends having a 10x10 cluster of pixels on Target for identification.

I’m excited about flir on a mavic I just don’t understand why they chose such terrible resolution camera.

I've been doing lots of research lately on aerial thermal imaging. Here are a few things i've learned.

When it comes to thermal imaging, there are three levels.

Detection: the max distance at which you can tell there is definitely an object, in this case, an object that is warmer than the surrounding enviroment.

Recognition: the max distance at which you can recognize what class of object this is. A vehicle? A human? An animal?

Identification: the max distance at which you can identify details about a particular object. Is this a honda civic? or a deer, or an adult or child human? Flir recommends at least a 10x10 cluster of pixels on target to make a reasonable identification.

At the range this video was shot, 126' agl, it appears that you can detect an object is warmer than the environment, but i'm not convinced you can recognize this is a human.

I did a quick analysis on a screen grab from the above video. It's not perfect as the image is not quite perpendicular to the camera....but it's pretty close.

Here is a grid representing each pixel....160x124 on top of the image:

mavic flir grid1.JPG

As we zoom in, we can count how many pixels are on the target:

mavic flir grid2.JPG

If we are generous, its about 24:

mavic flir grid 3.JPG

Flir recommends 100 pixels, (more specifically, a 10x10 cluster of pixels)

To achieve this recommendation, with this setup, you would need to fly within approximately 30 feet of your target.

Flying within 30 feet of your target provides great detail, however, it produces sort of a "soda straw" effect where you can only see a very small portion of the ground....which makes it really difficult to cover large areas. Plus, trees an other obstacles get in the way.

as an example, flying within 30 feet would make it so you could only see approximately what is inside the red box:

mavic flir grid 5.JPG

would look more like this on your screen except the subject would have much more detail.

mavic flir 6.JPG

Attachments

• mavic flir grid 4.JPG
    mavic flir grid 4.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: io390
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads