DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 forgot to take off gimbal guard. Does it do permanant damage?

Be sure to se

Be sure to select whether you want it for M2P or M2Z as they are different. You can see the difference in the first 2 pics on the PP site.
Thanks. The box definitely said Mavic 2 Pro Gimbal Lock, although you never know. There could have been a screw-up somewhere.

When I first purchased mine I forgot the gimbal cover was on needless to say it damaged the camera. I just took it back where I purchased it.

Oh, good point (g). I guess I won't have to add a colored ribbon like I have on my two gimbal protectors. Either that or I will panic that my camera is completely dead! With that thought - a colored ribbon will be added anyway.

Back to the original question - unfortunately, I've left it on more than once (hence the ribbon addition) but did no lasting damage.

edited to add: on second thought, by the time you notice a black screen, the gimbal would have attempted to go through its gyrations against the lock cover. RIBBON it is.
Exactly, if yo dont remeber the smoked clear your not gonna remember the opaque till its too late anyway. I ended up just using a label maker "GIMBAL" and stuck it on top of the drone as a reminder. Then I bought the PGYTECH prop holders. Removing the rear prop holder means turning over the quad and I havent forgotten the gimbal cover since so I took off the label.

Exactly, if yo dont remeber the smoked clear your not gonna remember the opaque till its too late anyway. I ended up just using a label maker "GIMBAL" and stuck it on top of the drone as a reminder. Then I bought the PGYTECH prop holders. Removing the rear prop holder means turning over the quad and I havent forgotten the gimbal cover since so I took off the label.
The opaque IS an aid. Just a look at the controller screen..., on reason I use the PP on my M2P.

Yes it can cause permanent damage, even if left on only 1 time. I have repaired thousands of gimbals.

The gimbal motors are calibrated to center at the factory. If the motor is forced to turn against its will, it could very well become off center, and then will be permanently damaged by not being able to find center again. This might have been what was happening to early buyers of the M2 who complained that their M2 gimbal was falling out at the roll motor.

Whats the answer? You can get a different gimbal lock such as this one:

or simply attach a red piece of yarn to the gimbal cover that will remind you to take off the OEM gimbal cover/lock.

What does this mean if you have left you lock on many times?

Keep an eye out for
  1. Gimbal motor overload error messages
  2. Gimbal not centering in any of the axes
  3. Any high pitched noise coming from the gimbal that you never heard before.
By the way, this problem is not reserved for the Mavic 2, it applies to all drones with motorized, gyro stabilized gimbals.
Or a bright red "Remove before flight" streamer.

The opaque IS an aid. Just a look at the controller screen..., on reason I use the PP on my M2P.
Yes but I think you missed the point. The OPs issue is forgetting to take off the gimbal cover BEFORE powering the drone, concerns about damage during the boot up centering of the gimbal. By time the video is on the controller screen the drone is booted.

That’s what I did. Won’t happen to me AGAIN!!! Lol
Thats perfect!!!!!!! Gotta get me one of those! Its hard to tell but yours appears to be a PRO? I like that gimbal cover, I have a ZOOM, do you know if they make one for the ZOOM and if so, whos makes it?

Thats perfect!!!!!!! Gotta get me one of those! Its hard to tell but yours appears to be a PRO? I like that gimbal cover, I have a ZOOM, do you know if they make one for the ZOOM and if so, whos makes it?
It is a Zoom. I had purchased another one that was clear plastic that was a lot easier than the oem, but when I seen this one it just seemed even better.173A1475-9899-4522-B55E-833ED5370EAA.jpeg And it was!!!

Forgot, it’s made by Polar Pro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada