DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 forgot to take off gimbal guard. Does it do permanant damage?

wolfwater69

Reactions
My camera got stuck in a side ways position, because the gimbal guard was on when going through the self check when powering on the drone. Then I turned the drone on and off after the gimbal guard was taken off it worked fine. Does it do perminant damage?

Reactions: mnis
It's not crippled mine yet and I've not just done it the once :)

I've replaced the standard one with the PolarPro one as it makes it completely obvious that you've left it on - opaque rather than transparent.

Reactions: Thomas B and ff22
My camera got stuck in a side ways position, because the gimbal guard was on when going through the self check when powering on the drone. Then I turned the drone on and off after the gimbal guard was taken off it worked fine. Does it do perminant damage?
While you should certainly try to remember to remove the gimbal lock before powering on the Mavic, you likely didn't cause any damage. Lots of people have done this and I've never seen anyone report a damaged gimbal after it has been done. I've never seem this documented by DJI anywhere, but it seems the Mavic is programmed to check for this resistance and is able to stop attempting to positioning the gimbal.

Here are a few things that can help you remember to remove the gimbal lock:

1) Make a pre-flight checklist of things you want to do before each flight. Keep it in your drone case/bag so you always see it when unpacking your Mavic.

2) Attach some kind of before flight keychain or ribbon to the gimbal as a reminder that the gimbal lock is still attached.

I use the PGY tech propeller holders. You kind of need to put the aircraft on its back to remove the bottom/rear propeller holder and you can clearly see the global guard while on its back?

works for me?

Reactions: mereflyer and ff22
Yes it can cause permanent damage, even if left on only 1 time. I have repaired thousands of gimbals.

The gimbal motors are calibrated to center at the factory. If the motor is forced to turn against its will, it could very well become off center, and then will be permanently damaged by not being able to find center again. This might have been what was happening to early buyers of the M2 who complained that their M2 gimbal was falling out at the roll motor.

Whats the answer? You can get a different gimbal lock such as this one:

or simply attach a red piece of yarn to the gimbal cover that will remind you to take off the OEM gimbal cover/lock.

What does this mean if you have left you lock on many times?

Keep an eye out for
  1. Gimbal motor overload error messages
  2. Gimbal not centering in any of the axes
  3. Any high pitched noise coming from the gimbal that you never heard before.
By the way, this problem is not reserved for the Mavic 2, it applies to all drones with motorized, gyro stabilized gimbals.

Yes it can cause permanent damage, even if left on only 1 time. I have repaired thousands of gimbals.

The gimbal motors are calibrated to center at the factory. If the motor is forced to turn against its will, it could very well become off center, and then will be permanently damaged by...”

I’d listen to this man on all things drone.

My Father always told me to surround myself with good, smart people who know more than me, and then be smart enough to listen to them.

Just one more thing. Gimbal locks have been the plague of drones since the first motorized drone gimbal was invented. Some of them (especially DJI locks for some reason) are cumbersome to install and remove. Phantom 3, Phantom 4, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Mavic 2. None of them were able to be installed with one hand, and the Mavic Pro gimbal lock would sometimes damage the gimbal roll motor cover if it was forced on..

Some people just decide ti leave the gimbal lock off. There are different things to consider when deciding to use nor not use the gimbal lock.

If you decide that youre just going to leave the gimbal lock off all the time because you keep forgetting to remove it, then your gimbal can become damaged during transport by being shaken around and possibly tearing a ribbon cable. If you decide to always use the gimbal lock, but keep forgetting to take it off, then that itself can damage the gimbal, as I mentioned above.

I appreciate that!

My pleasure, sir. Although I scan through the many posts that appear in this forum and then zoom in on the ones that pertain to me, I ALWAYS focus on posts you have either made or have responded to. By doing so I’ve learned quite a lot, obtaiing information that has enhanced my drone-flying experience and helped to keep my drone fleet in good working order.

Fortunately, I have never had a need for the drone repair services you provide - without a doubt due in part to the vital information you share freely & often here that has kept me from making mistakes that would result in a crash or inadvertently cause other damage to my units. However, if I ever am in such a need, you will be hearing from me immediately.

Thank you for the advice you provide to all of us here and for the services you have provided to many of us. I hope the weather down your way is pleasantly spring-like & that your busy work schedule allows you time to take to the air yourself.

I guess this is where the " Dam if I do and dam if I dont" applies...

Reactions: Former Member
I did the same thing once and the gimbal was not centering the horizon correctly. I ran the gimbal calibration and all was fine again

Reactions: mereflyer
It's not crippled mine yet and I've not just done it the once :)

I've replaced the standard one with the PolarPro one as it makes it completely obvious that you've left it on - opaque rather than transparent.

Oh, good point (g). I guess I won't have to add a colored ribbon like I have on my two gimbal protectors. Either that or I will panic that my camera is completely dead! With that thought - a colored ribbon will be added anyway.

Back to the original question - unfortunately, I've left it on more than once (hence the ribbon addition) but did no lasting damage.

edited to add: on second thought, by the time you notice a black screen, the gimbal would have attempted to go through its gyrations against the lock cover. RIBBON it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
Oh, good point (g). I guess I won't have to add a colored ribbon like I have on my two gimbal protectors. Either that or I will panic that my camera is completely dead! With that thought - a colored ribbon will be added anyway.

Back to the original question - unfortunately, I've left it on more than once (hence the ribbon addition) but did no lasting damage.

edited to add: on second thought, by the time you notice a black screen, the gimbal would have attempted to go through its gyrations against the lock cover. RIBBON it is.
You must have gotten lucky. I have seen many gimbals fail after leaving the gimbal lock on 2 or 3 times.

The older the gimbal, the more likely it is to fail if the gimbal lock is left on.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnis and mereflyer
My pleasure, sir. Although I scan through the many posts that appear in this forum and then zoom in on the ones that pertain to me, I ALWAYS focus on posts you have either made or have responded to. By doing so I’ve learned quite a lot, obtaiing information that has enhanced my drone-flying experience and helped to keep my drone fleet in good working order.

Fortunately, I have never had a need for the drone repair services you provide - without a doubt due in part to the vital information you share freely & often here that has kept me from making mistakes that would result in a crash or inadvertently cause other damage to my units. However, if I ever am in such a need, you will be hearing from me immediately.

Thank you for the advice you provide to all of us here and for the services you have provided to many of us. I hope the weather down your way is pleasantly spring-like & that your busy work schedule allows you time to take to the air yourself.
It's my pleasure to help here. Yes I get to fly every day, but usually just boring test flights and nothing exciting!

Right on. Like I said above, it's not a common cause of gimbal failures. Searching this forum alone is proof enough that it's a non issue for most people.

Last edited:
Anyone who says that leaving the gimbal clamp on multiple times wont damage your gimbal has never seen or repaired a broken gimbal.

Last edited:
I prefer the PolarPro gimbal loc due to ease of attachment and easy visibility. I also use a preflight checklist.
5726DEB2-266D-48DB-9218-40844309CA53.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54