DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Hdr

Woodoo

Reactions
Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone that has used the hdr feature has run into this issue... When looking at the hdr photos on the dji go app the hdr photos look great but when I look at the saved jpeg on the sd card they appear to be a standard jpeg not an hdr. Dose anyone know if the hrd photos should be saved to the sd card or are they only available if downloaded from the go app. Cheers any help would be much appreciated

Raw images are the full limit of what the sensor produces. By definition they contain all sensor data. Converting the sensor data to either SDR or HDR simply compresses this data, to in the case of SDR, has much less dynamic range. The conversion to one of the HDR spaces compressing it much less, if at all, depending on the capability of the sensor.

Bracketing raw is a good suggestion. DJI's sensor does not have good dynamic range even with raw. Having said that I have not encountered many situations where dynamic range was much of an issue. If you get your exposures right, the only problematic situation usually encountered is shooting directly into the sun.

Reactions: cw2323
Thanks for all the replies, I'm still a bit confused. I gather from what you guys are saying that the mavic 2 Pro does not save the hdr photos onto the sd card and only stores the images taken with the hdr mode in the dji go app ?

Thanks for all the replies, I'm still a bit confused. I gather from what you guys are saying that the mavic 2 Pro does not save the hdr photos onto the sd card and only stores the images taken with the hdr mode in the dji go app ?
No that is not accurate. I take HDR photos all the time in jpeg format and they are saved on the SD card in the aircraft. I have not done it but I am fairly certain that the raw files would be saved on the card as well. The files saved within the DJI Go4 app are low resolution only.

in my opinion the jpeg version of HDR do show increased range of dynamic range although I am sure you get more by processing the raw files.

I haven't tried using the DJI Go app for any processing other than 180 and 360 panorama stitching. I agree with the advice from above to shoot RAW and to bracket your shots, then use whatever post processing software you have to do HDR. For me, bracketing 5 shots works pretty well and I do everything in Adobe Lightroom. But if you want to work with JPG files only you can try that, but I think if you're going to all the trouble to fly and capture an image, at least at first setup to where you save the files as RAW + JPG. That way you'll have both files to work with and you can pick whether or not you want to work with JPG files (smaller size, less detail) or the RAW files (bigger file size, all the camera data and more flexibility to edit). After you're happy with whatever process works best for you, then you can decide to change or continue with RAW + JPG.

One other thing I like about bracketing is the increase in dynamic range you get - I love HDR but I'm one of those people who've badly overdone it on single images before. So if you ever have a chance to shoot multiple images, either manually or with a camera/app that allows bracketing, I'm all for it unless the shooting conditions don't allow. But that's just me and my preference. Most important is to keep shooting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis