DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 in Maui

scmark58

Reactions
Hi,
i will renting a condo in Maui (Ka'anapali, Lahaina) and wanted to know if anyone has experience flying their drone in the area. The condo owner has already said no, but i will have a car and could drive to a location(s) that allows drones.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Steve

I used the search tool and found this: "CLICK HERE" . . . good luck Steve.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Hi,
i will renting a condo in Maui (Ka'anapali, Lahaina) and wanted to know if anyone has experience flying their drone in the area. The condo owner has already said no, but i will have a car and could drive to a location(s) that allows drones.
Steve
If I recall... That's a
NFZ but plenty of class G air.... Be alert for low flying helicopters!

I don't live there anymore, but points of interest would be Kapalua, Hana, Keanae?, upcountry- Makawao- Kamoda bakery has excellent pastries, Paia, Pukalani
Kaupo, maybe Pali lookout, kinda windy at times, a good place to whale watch during the birthing season. I've haven't been back in almost 30 years. You can Google the above to kinda get a sense of the scenery. Not sure about the fly restrictions so check on those as well. I hope you have a memorable trip!!

Aloha!! Although the author of this article kinda seems like he/she had early drone flying challenges, the article has valid, up-to-date info on drones on Maui: Wave of the future or pain in the air?

Hawaii State Park (NFZ): Hawaiʻi State Park Rules

Here’s a local Maui resident flyer’s perspective from 2017. Much is still valid, with respect to flying spots, but you’ll now need LAANC approval for certain locations: Kaenae Peninsula, Maui, Hawaii

My cousin on Maui’s north shore says that Baldwin Beach Park has drones flying on their large grassy area, but then sees them hovering around the beach and flying high above the water. There are many recently posted YouTube videos from there, too.

I‘m guessing snorkel tour boat skippers will not allow drones, but a private boat ride out to little Molikini Island would provide for spectacular cinematographic video, as long as you don’t fly over all the snorkelers. The whales are everywhere out there, this time of year, so there’s a good chance of capturing their images, too.

And although there are no drones allowed on Haleakala volcano, an Active Track video of yourself flying downhill on a bike would be interesting and picturesque. If only we could take our Mavic 2 back in time to 2015, where people posted rampant drone flying everywhere in Paradise!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sprinter
Hi,
Steve

Plenty of flying opportunities in Lahaina

Reactions: Sprinter
Plenty of flying opportunities in Lahaina
Wow, things have changed!!! There were like 5 sailboats, tops anchored off Mala Wharf back in the day. Front St. still looks the same. Front St. use to be "bananas" on Holloween, somewhat Mardi Gra-ish.

Based on 2019 experience, the North edge of Kaanapali has a local but active airport. My flight restrictions may have resulted from insufficient compass calibration. Kahului has a major, active airport with NFZ zones within 5 miles, and some height restrictions even beyond 5 miles. That said, the Road to Hana presents numerous aerial and offshore opportunities. Hoping this May to explore more. Aloha.

We have a trip scheduled to Nanea Last Week of May

Might cancel due to the virus

Howdy neighbor. I'm next door at the Westin Resorts North in late April. We'll keep the lights on for you. Virus; schmirus. I would rather spend my last days on Maui than anywhere else.DSC01759.JPGDSC00456.JPGDSC01407.JPG

Hi,
Steve
I have flown in Maui including over/off the coast Lahaina town. As you get close to Ka'anapali beach you will encounter airspace restrictions due to the airport on the southwest part of the island. I have also flown up in the mountains on the northwest shore. some great places where there are valleys and waterfalls. Also great opportunities to shoot surfers, if you are willing to fly low. I have the M2 Zoom, which helps. Think about doing some follow shots on the road to Hana, and the Haleakala volcano. Enjoy!

Effective March 26, Hawaii imposed a 14-day quarantine for all incoming visitors to the islands. Through April 30, incoming visitors will be restricted to their "Quarantine Location" a/k/a their hotel/resort. No one can say if the quarantine will be extended. Today, we chose to re-book for late June. As this "news" is shared, we saw resort availability (our preferred new dates) disappear within 30 minutes today. If you decide to re-book, my advice is to do so now.

Effective March 26, Hawaii imposed a 14-day quarantine for all incoming visitors to the islands. Through April 30, incoming visitors will be restricted to their "Quarantine Location" a/k/a their hotel/resort. No one can say if the quarantine will be extended. Today, we chose to re-book for late June. As this "news" is shared, we saw resort availability (our preferred new dates) disappear within 30 minutes today. If you decide to re-book, my advice is to do so now.
We cancelled our week at Nanea
We were supposed to go last week in May
[emoji25]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan