DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 NLD

xAli3Nz

Reactions
Hello,

So I’m kinda late in this whole huge update by DJI on the NFZ. I bought my Mavic 2 on release date and I can barely use it due to work/season reasons.

Finally I can fly, I charge up, update and happen to see I can’t fly because I’m in a NFZ miles away from an airport that’s not even operational.

I rush to check how can I downgrade or bypass this and I see there is this site called No limit Dronez. Apparently they hack into your drone and basically customize it.

I’m really worried it could affect my drone performance and compromise the safety of the flight. To date I have 2 fly always traumas and hacking into the software sky rockets my anxiety.

So may I ask you guys your experiences with the site? I only want to disable NFZ. I don’t care about speed or distance limits.

Thank you,

If you just updated to the latest firmaware you can forget NLD, for the immediate future at least.

DJI has included a sneaky patch that defeats the downgrade required to get the hacked NLD firmware on your drone.

The reality is the areas that are geofenced and can’t be unlocked you probably should avoid flying in anyway. Don’t get me wrong, NLD is great- more power when needed and less fiddling with unlocks but it isn’t without disadvantages either. You need to be content to go without a lot of the added features in the latest firmwares.

Reactions: Thomas B
If you just updated to the latest firmaware you can forget NLD, for the immediate future at least.

DJI has included a sneaky patch that defeats the downgrade required to get the hacked NLD firmware on your drone.

The reality is the areas that are geofenced and can’t be unlocked you probably should avoid flying in anyway. Don’t get me wrong, NLD is great- more power when needed and less fiddling with unlocks but it isn’t without disadvantages either. You need to be content to go without a lot of the added features in the latest firmwares.

Thank you for your reply.
I’m able to downgrade from DJI Assistant. Will this still keep the patch?

I understand what you are saying, and I can’t agree more. However there are cases like mine where I’m literally miles away from an airport that’s not operational. And I can’t fly.

I hope there’s a fix soon.

If your phone is Andriod then you can use NLD only but you will have to downgrade the firmware to 100 which is very old. The subsequent versions of firmware contains quite a lot of useful improvement so there is some sacrifice there. If you use iphone, you can remove the NFZ with iOS mod app ( base on DJI GO 4 version 24 ) even if you are running the latest version of firmware ( 510 ).

If your phone is Andriod then you can use NLD only but you will have to downgrade the firmware to 100 which is very old. The subsequent versions of firmware contains quite a lot of useful improvement so there is some sacrifice there. If you use iphone, you can remove the NFZ with iOS mod app ( base on DJI GO 4 version 24 ) even if you are running the latest version of firmware ( 510 ).
Do you mind telling me where and how I can download this app?

What might be the use of removing the NFZ from GO4 on iOS if you are flying a M2 with the NFZ database intact?

whats about blocking the GPS and fly only in sight? I had that problem when they put the hole Irak to a NFZ, the only way to fly my inspire was to make it think there is no GPS Signal....

How would I load the mod app onto my iPhone?

You realize that NFZ's are not just for airports, right? That there could be something else that warrants a NFZ in that area?

If you find that there really is no good reason for the NFZ there, you could disputed it with DJI, find out why it's giving that grief, rather than resorting to downgrading your system and losing recent improvements (which also would lock you out of any future improvements).

Yeah, that sounds like some work, but it's also sounding like the NLD thing is not an easy path as well.

Chris

If you examine the DJI FlySafe map on their website and look at your location you should be able to determine the reason for the NFZ...as others have said it might be for some reason other than a defunct airport.

If it is (as you claim) an airport that is no longer operational and you are in the USA you can try this (which I have done successfully):

Contact the FAA FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) and speak to whoever is the facilities manager (usually titled ‘GAO Operations Frontline Manager’ or something similar). If they can confirm the airport is decommissioned you can submit a custom unlock request with DJI. Document the conversation with the FSDO.

My submission to DJI included a screen shot of the FlySafe map with the decommissioned airport and associated NFZ, a screenshot of the latest FAA Sectional chart showing the airport isn’t on the map, and a summary of your conversation with the FSDO.

The DJI unlock can then be downloaded to your controller and should be good for a year...they will also include that change in a future FlySafe database update so that NFZ goes away permanently.

If I knew specifically where you are, and the name of the ‘old’ airport I might be able to walk you thru this...

Last edited:
Here’s an example in the Milwaukee, WI area:

In this case it’s a blue zone (Authorization zone), Faken Airport, closed for years.
9755270d2c9b5e08a5c018134a3edf33.jpg

And a screen shot of a current Sectional chart...the airport isn’t there (you can access Sectional charts on vfrmap.com):
4759458c28d79f996e382bca5b53ca7d.jpg

I have a custom unlock, and it should be a permanent deletion from the FlySafe database on the next revision...

Last edited:

In this case it’s a blue zone (Authorization zone), Faken Airport, closed for years.

And a screen shot of a current Sectional chart...the airport isn’t there (you can access Sectional charts on vfrmap.com):

I have a custom unlock, and it should be a permanent deletion from the FlySafe database on the next revision...

Trying your method today.

I agree it’s not a very clever decision to hack into my software, not for the loss of features or updates, I just can’t imagine flying my drone with third party software DJI works everyday to stop.

I must add it is indeed a dead airport, I’m aware of the flysafe maps.

I was able to fly today via the self verification process. I noticed it lasts 24 hours, I suppose I can re request after the 24 h.

However the blue area is pretty small compared to the red one, so I’m still aiming for that custom unlock.

I share your pain in that specific area of Wisc. Last year, I wanted aerial videos of a touring Union Pacific steam locomotive in that area. Tried several locations but was totally grounded due to a bogus NFZ. Thanks.

You can do a 3 day unlock in advance by using the website instead of the Go4 app...

Or request a custom unlock for a year.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones