DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Parachute

Adonai

Reactions
Hello

I fly my Mavic 2 Zoom mainly for bvlos surveillance missions in a highly populated city, full of tall builldings and trees (plus wires etc etc), a couple of kilometers away from me, sometimes even at night, often taking off and landing from my hand.

When needed to closeup on a target i use to carefully maneuver by hand in P, often switching to T modes to avoid collision, desending between buildings, trees while keeping myself ready for a prompt disengage (switch to S and climb and so on..) not to get the drone downed by someone, hit by cars, animals etc etc.

Mavic 2 is quite reliable, i know, but with the risk of an ESC failure or a wire/bird strike around the corner, i dont want my drone falling like a stone, destroying itself and maybe killing someone.

Thus I'm looking for an auto chute system, being it the lightest and the quickest to deploy, having the minimum impact on drone maneuverability and machanical/electrical wear.

I lurked around the web, and foun a couple of interesting soulution, pity that my first choice, the Manti L (35 grams) didnt hit the shelves, and probably will never, cause looks like an abandoned project.

Im also evaluating the Vectorsafe 10 (85 grams) but that looks too slow to deploy (unsuit for lower altitudes) and the parazero, but it looks too heavy (85 grams) and anti aerodinamic giving the drone huge stress, and its stops the props, wich its better to stay on to provide additioal lift and slow its downfall, then the fruitychutes, that sounds to suffer both the weight and the speed problems.

I know also about a Hubsan x4 auto chute that has been adapted for Phantoms but cant find any spec about its weight and functioning.

Last of the list is to assemble a custom one, but I didnt find anyquick launche and conrollers on the market right now.

I would like to ask you some suggestion, and maybe some experience should anyone run a similar system on his drone.

Thank you.

Hello

I fly my Mavic 2 Zoom mainly for bvlos surveillance missions in a highly populated city, full of tall builldings and trees (plus wires etc etc), a couple of kilometers away from me, sometimes even at night, often taking off and landing from my hand.

When needed to closeup on a target i use to carefully maneuver by hand in P, often switching to T modes to avoid collision, desending between buildings, trees while keeping myself ready for a prompt disengage (switch to S and climb and so on..) not to get the drone downed by someone, hit by cars, animals etc etc.

Mavic 2 is quite reliable, i know, but with the risk of an ESC failure or a wire/bird strike around the corner, i dont want my drone falling like a stone, destroying itself and maybe killing someone.

Thus I'm looking for an auto chute system, being it the lightest and the quickest to deploy, having the minimum impact on drone maneuverability and machanical/electrical wear.

I lurked around the web, and foun a couple of interesting soulution, pity that my first choice, the Manti L (35 grams) didnt hit the shelves, and probably will never, cause looks like an abandoned project.

Im also evaluating the Vectorsafe 10 (85 grams) but that looks too slow to deploy (unsuit for lower altitudes) and the parazero, but it looks too heavy (85 grams) and anti aerodinamic giving the drone huge stress, and its stops the props, wich its better to stay on to provide additioal lift and slow its downfall, then the fruitychutes, that sounds to suffer both the weight and the speed problems.

I know also about a Hubsan x4 auto chute that has been adapted for Phantoms but cant find any spec about its weight and functioning.

Last of the list is to assemble a custom one, but I didnt find anyquick launche and conrollers on the market right now.

I would like to ask you some suggestion, and maybe some experience should anyone run a similar system on his drone.

Thank you.
I don't even know where to start. You are breaking at least three different regulations and putting people at risk Instead of getting a parachute, you should follow the regulations. In Italy you cannot fly BVLOS, over people, or at night. You should also not be doing "surveillance" of unsuspecting citizens unless you have a legal reason to do so.

When it comes to parachutes, you DO want it to stop the props because one form of failure would be a single prop or motor failure. Under these conditions the drone would not be controllable and would strike the ground (or an innocent bystander) with the other props still spinning.

Also if you are flying that low, any parachute may be useless anyway. A parachute needs a certain minimum altitude in order to fully deploy and bring the craft down to its safe descent speed.

Add to all of that the fact that you are new at flying and have already crashed one drone, this is a recipe for disaster. Your whole routine of switching between P, T, and S mode really shows that you need a lot more experience. If you are in trouble, switching to S mode is probably the worst thing you could do since you won't have as fine control and all your sensors will be disabled. Add to that the fact that you are flying between tall buildings and behind other objects, your chance of signal loss (both controller signal and GPS lock) is very high.

Reactions: ajkm and Mavic 57
Thanks for the replies folks.

Here in Italy, any citizen can conduct private investigations, without any certification as long as no monetary profit is claimed out of it.
It's advised, but not mandatory, to provide local LEOs information about your activities and the commttant.
And a no profit scenario doesnt even require the "driving license" for operating your drone.

You can record anyone, being him/her aware or not, this doesnt mean you cannot harass people or violate their privacy: the data you collect have the only use as evidence in a court of law, while it's strictly forbidden to divulgate them without consent.

Said so, there is also a "legal workaround" about (actual) flying rules: BVLOS is not allowed, but having aty your side a bud with a google is enough to justify great distances, while nocturnal flying isnt allowed not even for LEOs or first responders which at the moment deviate from the code everytime they operate their drones after sunset.

This translates that here in italy, nobody will punish you or even care about you, until you cause some trouble.

Injury someone or his property, would be surely a big trouble, and just frighten people off a close call would also be a trouble

That's why i want a parachute, in order noone can get hurt and should i get dragged in front of a judge, he/she has to state i did take such a precaution, it saves my and other ppl's *** and the drone.

You're right @PhantomFandom when saying of my inexperience, crashing once with this drone has just been enough not to reapeat, that's why i switch to T in diffuclt passages, just to have all the sensors enabled and drone speed reduced, otherwise the usual mode I fly in is P mode with APAS, while S is used occasionally for rapid vertical climbs and hand catch landings

At night I'm way less prone to push it in risky passages

A couple of time i found myself amid pigeon flocks and it had to brake, i don't know if they can be a kind of risk but it has been unpleasant.

Gps signal is always good here, even between buildings, it never falls under 14 locks, so far

Signal loss happens (actualy i am using the standard remote antenna), and i rely on RTH set height even to regain connection.

Never had magnetic interference in flight, neither I know how the drone will react to that.

Minimum altitude I fly at is 15 metres, and you're right thats too low for many parachutes to operate.

The ParaZero safe air (even @Keule advises me that) should work on that threshold, but its con's are its above average weight (165 grams) and the large flat shape wich I fear will act like a sail and have the drone "gone with the wind" (maybe only my supposition)

Its stops the props from spinning and even emits a loudly audible beep throughout its descent

If only it was smaller and lighter as the FlyFire Manti should have been (even if it doesn't stop the motors you can always CSC)

Has anyone here ever installed the ParaZero SafeAir on their birds?

Haha, where is dirkclod and his llama

i dont know what this guy is on or where in Italy he lives but i am glad i dont live near him

he's a secret agent man. He needs a souped up RoboMaster :)

I would suggest buying a mavic mini (lighter load to tumble on someones head) and cheaper to replace...
possibly more sneaksy (gollum-like) (okay i havent seen the decibel specs..)

The only parachute that I know of is this one from Hubsan:

Hello

Thank you.
Hi. I have a hubsan 109 that came with a parachute and it was a pain in the rear, its a good idea but the drone needs to loose power upside down because if some thing happens with it listing when the chute opens the chute tangles with the props even when then are not running and still falls to the ground with a crunch, please don't waste your money because it will not work.

I have no idea which Italy this person is talking about. I have looked in detail at the rules in Italy and you can't go past VLS and privacy is important. I suggest a careful review of Italian law before thinking about flying around buildings and monitoring people. The Carabinieri would be interested to discuss your flight plans.

$1800 for a parachute to protect an $1800 drone?
Insurance is far cheaper!
Maybe made for a far more expensive craft?
i dont think its the cost of the drone that needs protecting, but the mitigating of any damage the drone may cause in the event of an inncident/accident

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest