DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pilots in Wisconsin?

Fond du lac lighthouse. Come up enjoy our lake front and great park. You are within the 5 mile radius of airport so just call and the go fly

Reactions: razoraerial
I’m in Milton, Wi with my Mavic 2 Pro. So far I’ve jus flown mostly around my rural property. I’ve been flying something rc related for most of my life and also a hobby photographer. I picked up the Mavic 2 Pro as a way to combine those two hobbies.

- Dave

Welcome! I had to Google Milton. You’re not too far away. I’ve driven further to fly someplace different. That’s cool that you have experience flying RC aircraft. They have a club and park near me in Verona that has RC fliers out all the time.
Watching someone fly a plane is pretty fascinating.
I’d like to buy an FPV and give that a try.
Would be nice to fly it any direction and flip it to reverse direction. The videos those guys/girls make are unreal.

I’m originally from Northern Wisconsin (Marinette) and I went across the river to Menominee to teach my nephew how to fly his Spark which I still own one of, and when I was flying the Mavic 2 Pro both my nephew and a bystander told me an eagle was coming my way.

Well lucky for me I read a lot of posts and discovered the obvious way, not obvious to me before this, was to fly straight up. So I put it in Speed mode and flew to about 1000 feet. Then turned around and flew at 47 mph back to my location. Descending is the part you have to worry because you’re not going that fast coming down. Made it back in time to see the eagle fly by.

Interesting day to say the least.

Michael

Fond du lac lighthouse. Come up enjoy our lake front and great park. You are within the 5 mile radius of airport so just call and the go fly

Very cool. I have a similar lighthouse flight around the Menominee North Pier Lighthouse in Menominee, MI (Upper Peninsula).
Post in a Facebook group for people from Fond du lac and they go nuts for that nostalgic stuff.

I’ve flown Lake Park a little when I met one of my old HS friends from Marinette out there. He made me ride the kiddy rides out there. I made sure to video it and create a movie about it to get my revenge. LOL

Thanks for the video post. You’re in a great area for woods and water shots.

I’m originally from Northern Wisconsin (Marinette) and I went across the river to Menominee to teach my nephew how to fly his Spark which I still own one of, and when I was flying the Mavic 2 Pro both my nephew and a bystander told me an eagle was coming my way.

Well lucky for me I read a lot of posts and discovered the obvious way, not obvious to me before this, was to fly straight up. So I put it in Speed mode and flew to about 1000 feet. Then turned around and flew at 47 mph back to my location. Descending is the part you have to worry because you’re not going that fast coming down. Made it back in time to see the eagle fly by.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know eagles would come after a UAV... I've seen eagles flying the treeline along my property several times.

-Dave

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know eagles would come after a UAV... I've seen eagles flying the treeline along my property several times.

-Dave

Hi
Any bird of prey will attack anything that finds it a threat. I’m sure the nest is up there somewhere but I didn’t want to discover where.
One of the drone hunters that is currently used are trained Falcon’s. They’ll knock the drone out of the sky.

If you think about it, it’s surprising that just any little bird isn’t accidentally running into the drones. We fly them on Speed mode and can reach 47 mph.
That’s too fast for a bird to respond.

I’m in a little more cautious than most. I don’t have the money to replace drones if I do something stupid and lose my drone. If the instructions state not to fly over water I won’t fly out across a lake or out towards open water unless the drone is close enough to see where it drops.

See ya
Michael
19a4a762f1fabe47595b67665d77e520.jpg

Fox Valley! Fly a Mavic 2 and a Mini. Currently working on a photography project on my hometown. Nice to meet everyone!

Last edited:
Andy from Kenosha. I have a Mavic pro. I am a newbie. I do a lot of short flights and Lake Michigan pics. My drone is coming back from warranty work on Monday so I am anxious to get back in the air and try out all the features.

A from Kenosha, brand new to the drone world, just picked up a Mavic 2 Zoom. Looking forward to weather being warm enough to get some flights in.
I'm in Kenosha as well. I can be found mostly from the border to Simmons Island and Pennoyer but as it gets nicer out I have some projects all over..? on Facebook look up Zero to 400ft .I'm a newb myself..had my drone since oct 19 but issues with DJI have limited my flight time..all worked out and excited to learn. Always looking for flying friends. Also look up Marge and her site on Facebook called A View from Above-Wisconsin. Cool pics and a 6 year flyer. Andy

Thanks I checked out your shots, looks nice!

One thing I'm confused about though: Kenosha County Ordinances 10.07.17 says it is prohibited

"To possess or operate a remote controlled or other type of self-propelled model airplane, rockets or to possess other airborne devices in any County Park."

I would love to fly over the beach & parks but isn't this prohibited? Sorry I'm very new and trying to learn quickly. Having trouble even figuring out where to do my first test flight today without immediately breaking any rules.[/quote]

Last edited:
You can fly at Bong state park. They have a designated area that is wide open and good for learning. I flew my zoom there a lot last year learning to fly.

You can fly at Bong state park. They have a designated area that is wide open and good for learning. I flew my zoom there a lot last year learning to fly.

Thanks I will give that a look but WI DNR site states you must call a week in advance and that doesn't seem ideal for weather conditions.

Richard Bong State Recreation Area has an area where visitors may fly model airplanes, rockets, hang gliders and hot air balloons. All flying-related activities take place in the Special Use Zone. Visitors must call ahead at least a week before their planned event for permission to use the area, which is often booked in advance for specific activities.

There is never anyone near that area. Especially during the week. Or early on the weekend...I have gone out there when that area is supposedly closed and always been allowed to fly. I stay away when they are training hunting dogs and that’s it. You need a state park permit though.

I park on the road and launch and fly from there. My friend told me she does this at like Pets. She has been stopped and looked over by dnr but no problems.

Reactions: WARRIK
I have never thought of flying Pets...I bet it’s a nice place to fly
Per my friend, 6 year drone flyer (primarily DJI and flies 5 different drones for business and pleasure)has her commercial drone as well as her actual pilots license for planes. night time and instrumental.

20200316_110450.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone