DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro and Ipad / LumaTouch Editing

Gimlix

Reactions
Dear pilots,

I am looking into buying a drone and the Mavic 2 Pro remains today my favorite given the needs I have.

My only concern is about the transfer and editing of the videos. I will mainly be using it during a one-year world trip (departure date still TBC) with only an Ipad for editing (no laptop).

My Ipad is a 10.5 iPad Pro 2017 with iOS13.3 with LumaTouch v2.2.

Do you know if, with this, I will be able to transfer and edit all the M2P video (incl. dLog)?

I have seen some worrying post but that was back in 2018. importing-h265-to-ipad-pro

If you have any recommendations, advice, it would be more than appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gimlix

I have the 10.5” iPad pro as well and use LumaFusion. Everything is up to date as you mentioned. I also have a Mavic 2 Pro. My initial answer is yes, it will do all you need. I believe that thread you mentioned was talking about a bug/limitation after an iOS update from 11 to 12 causing files to not import into the iPad rather than an issue with LumaFusion. I use the Apple OEM SD Card to Lightning adapter and have no issues. I film 264 however, so give me a day or so to verify 265 DLog causes no upload issues.

Get a peripheral to store the video files as full battery video of flights will be large by the end of your trip. You don’t want To get close to max capacity on your controlling device. Also recommend multiple smaller video cards, changing with each battery, and deleting the files on the SD card after dl.

Get a peripheral to store the video files as full battery video of flights will be large by the end of your trip. You don’t want To get close to max capacity on your controlling device. Also recommend multiple smaller video cards, changing with each battery, and deleting the files on the SD card after dl.
Agreed. Filming in any derivation of 4K results in crazy file sizes that for me, are far too cumbersome to work with on a regular basis. I prefer 1080p at 30 or sometimes 60. My eyes can’t tell the difference anyway.

Reactions: Thomas B
Dear pilots,

I am looking into buying a drone and the Mavic 2 Pro remains today my favorite given the needs I have.

My only concern is about the transfer and editing of the videos. I will mainly be using it during a one-year world trip (departure date still TBC) with only an Ipad for editing (no laptop).

My Ipad is a 10.5 iPad Pro 2017 with iOS13.3 with LumaTouch v2.2.

Do you know if, with this, I will be able to transfer and edit all the M2P video (incl. dLog)?

I have seen some worrying post but that was back in 2018. importing-h265-to-ipad-pro

If you have any recommendations, advice, it would be more than appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gimlix
OK, so your post has caused me to look into this a bit more. As mentioned above, I almost never shoot 4K video with my M2P, but I have recently been thinking about experimenting with short clips to see what this device is capable of.

The issue of importing your media using the most current version of LumaFusion on an also updated 10.5" iPad Pro has been resolved. Use the Apple SD Card to Lightning adapter, and plug it in after you open the Photos app. When you do, a new button will appear on the lower right that says 'Import'. Your files will be there to select and import. You can then import them into LumaFusion. There are two other issues still outstanding however.

DLog-M on the M2 stores in a 10 bit format, and LumaFusion is only capable of processing 8 bit at this time. This is because, until recently, iOS screens were only 8 bit, and it's an iOS app… Some report error messages when placing clips on the timeline, but they also say that they can be ignored. When finally exported, the videos are reported as fine, and because of the bit loss, they may not be the best they could be, but the trade-off is the simplicity of an app on your iPad, and to me, that is gold.

The second issue is lens distortion. The M2 self corrects this in other color profiles, but in 10 bit DLog-M, it does not. As of this time, LumaFusion does not have lens correction for M2 generated DLog-M files, but again, there is the trade off. LumaFusion does keep getting better, and they are aware of these issues. I would anticipate an update at some point that addresses them both.

Many thanks guys!
Yes i am indeed also looking at cloud back ups along with physical drives to store all the data!
Thanks Brockrock for looking into this. I think this remain a great trade off indeed. I could still do the minor final editing at a later stage!
I'll keep you update on how it goes!

cheers,
Gimlix

Reactions: Brockrock
Many thanks guys!
Yes i am indeed also looking at cloud back ups along with physical drives to store all the data!
Thanks Brockrock for looking into this. I think this remain a great trade off indeed. I could still do the minor final editing at a later stage!
I'll keep you update on how it goes!

cheers,
Gimlix
Just as a final follow-up post, I flew yesterday with my M2P filming at 4K 30 FPS H265 DLog-M. I had no problem importing the media onto my 10.5" iPad Pro and no problem then importing the media into LumaFusion. I found that DJI's LUT available for the M2 under downloads had a very nice effect on the footage, and only small color grading was then required to bring out the actual tones. As far as lens distortion, it was very mild and livable.. Hope this helps.

Hi guys!
just as I was about to get the M2P, the MA2 was out.
I’ve seen tons of threads and comparaison videos and for me no doubt that the d-log and 1inch sensors are still a great plus on the M2P.
howevere, looking at my set up, lumafusion converts the 10db dlog into an 8db profile. Knowing that the D-Cinelike of the M2A is an 8db profile, wouldn’t that be sufficient ?
or the other way around, wouldn’t the dlog’of the M2P be completely unexploited?

any thoughts?

cheers,

Gimlix

Reactions: Thanohano44
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member